I've made this hair pin - Does it look OK?

MrsGxMrsGx Posts: 328 New bride

Hi

I made this hair pin last night, I plan to make a couple more like this and just have them dotted about in my updo.

I just wondered if it looks cheap? Does it look OK? Or does it look like a messy DIY bodge job? Does it look bridal enough?
Now I've made it I don't know if I dare use it, I'm wondering if I should just buy a professionally made one?

For a very long time I was going to be having flowers in my hair so this is quite a change from my original plan, I'm just wondering if it looks cheap/silly?

Honest opinions greatly appreciated, no matter how harsh. If it looks naff I can take it :) I'd rather know as I just don't want to look silly. Thank you :) x

• DandelionBlueDandelionBlue Posts: 937 New bride

I honestly think it's very pretty and am surprised you made it y9urself. I saw similar things on etsy. I don't think it looks cheap at all. It actually reminds me of cherry blossoms 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 1,763 New bride

It looks perfect.

I used to make tiaras, hairpins etc for a hobby pre-kids (don't have time now) and people are always surprised when I explain how simple it is! Any sellers on etsy will have made them just the same way you did.

In fact I made pins very similar to that for my SIL and her bridesmaids for her wedding.

• JMB2019JMB2019 Posts: 65 New bride

looks lovely!! I would have thought you bought it. 

• KittyFiennesKittyFiennes Posts: 775 New bride

That's very pretty and you'd never know it was DIY.  It's identical to many of the very pricey ones I've seen on Etsy.  I'd mix it up and do some with the flowers & leave & both colour pearls, and some with just white pearls and leaves.  

• MrsGxMrsGx Posts: 328 New bride

Thank you so much for the very kind replies & compliments!

I did mean to ask if I should leave the pink pearls out and just use the ivory ones?

MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

It looks perfect.

I used to make tiaras, hairpins etc for a hobby pre-kids (don't have time now) and people are always surprised when I explain how simple it is! Any sellers on etsy will have made them just the same way you did.

In fact I made pins very similar to that for my SIL and her bridesmaids for her wedding.

Thank you for the compliment. They are easy to make but I would say there's initial practice needed to make them neat. Seriously my first attempt was quite messy so I almost gave up haha! Once I got the knack and realised I could be quite rough with the wire and manipulate it where I wanted without fear of it snapping, I was on a roll :-)

DandelionBlue - Thank you so much for our kind reply. I see what you mean about cherry blossoms :-)

JMB2019 - Thank you for such a lovely compliment! 

KittyFiennes wrote (see post):

That's very pretty and you'd never know it was DIY.  It's identical to many of the very pricey ones I've seen on Etsy.  I'd mix it up and do some with the flowers & leave & both colour pearls, and some with just white pearls and leaves.  

KittyFiennes - Thank you for your reply. I was wondering whether to leave the pink out so your idea about mixing it up has helped! I was going to make them all slightly different rather than them all being identical. I've never done anything like this before but I've enjoyed playing around with them!

• Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride

This is lovely! You've done really well.

I am planning on trying to make my own hair comb and hope it comes out as nice as this. Where did you get the pearls and everything? And did you glue it all together?

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 821

Oh i love this! I would love to have made my own but wouldn’t have known where I start. The price of bridal hair accessories is crazy! Would love to see them all when you’ve finished.

• MrsMGMrsMG Posts: 359

I think it looks lovely. I'd have thought it was store bought, not homemade!

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 1,763 New bride
    Leigh83 wrote (see post):

This is lovely! You've done really well.

I am planning on trying to make my own hair comb and hope it comes out as nice as this. Where did you get the pearls and everything? And did you glue it all together?

You use wire which you twist with pliers, no glue required! You can get everything you need at Hobbycraft. As OP says, the first couple might be dodgy but once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

• Cupcakes2019Cupcakes2019 Posts: 69 New bride

It looks perfect! I would want something like this too, how lovely.

• kate268kate268 Posts: 69 New bride

Looks great! It's tricky to get neat but you have nailed it!