How are you showing your personality?

Bebe2Bebe2 Posts: 60

Hey ladies, 

Just wondering what little touches you are planning to have or did have at your wedding? And what things are you having to reflect your personality? 

I am hoping to include traditions from both our cultures and also have packets of crisps handed out at the end of the night because they are my favourite thing ever. 

What about you? 

xx

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 782 New bride

To reflect my partner - we're getting married in a brewery! And we're having loads of foliage because green is his favorite colour and lots of his favourite foods. Lots of scandi touches (he's not nordic he just loves the culture so much and has visited the various countries so many times).

To reflect me - bouncy castle, glitter, gin, yellow... And my entire look is very "me". Pink fluffy shoes, big dramatic floral crown and belt, modern crop top, dramatic make up, pink hair, kitsch novelty belt, dramatic long veil. Costume change including a massive layered meringue skirt and pom pom veil.

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

We’ve gone subtle hence subtly us...

When people are coming into the room we’re playing bands that we’ve seen live together.

Our first dance is a cover of our favourite band 

We’re having Lebanese food because that’s exactly what we like to eat

R has a green suit because it’s much more him

I’m doing my own make up because I don’t like it when others do it generally

My parents neighbour whose known me 20 years is making our cake

We’re buying things we like for decoration and have dry hire- plenty of booze we and those we care about love with lots of eating.

finally and maybe most importantly, we are writing our own vows 

• Sarah1609Sarah1609 Posts: 80

We are getting married on the grounds of a private water ski club we are members of.

I will arrive on our own boat from across the river... we will waterski in my morning wedding dress and my H2b will only wear a wastecoat instead of a full suit with jacket...

we are writing our own vows and we are having donouts instead of cake as we both dont like icing nor buttercream on the traditional cakes...

• We chose our wedding date around when we met (at a bonfire night party) and incidentally shared our first kiss ☺️ We are also having fireworks and sparklers to commemorate this. 

Edit:

I realised the above wasn’t really what you were asking 😂 I’ve incorporated my likes/tastes into the decor and am using lots of lanterns and fairy lights. My dress is quite unique and definitely shows my personality (or at least I‘d like to think so). We’re having a sweet table and I love sweets! 

We’re going to playing some of our favourite songs/music in the evening. 

Overall, we are both quite chilled people and like spending time together, so we want our day to reflect that in a way. Just a nice atmosphere where people can sit, relax and chat.

• MrsBeehanMrsBeehan Posts: 378 New bride
    Bebe2 wrote (see post):

Hey ladies, 

Just wondering what little touches you are planning to have or did have at your wedding? And what things are you having to reflect your personality? 

I am hoping to include traditions from both our cultures and also have packets of crisps handed out at the end of the night because they are my favourite thing ever. 

What about you? 

xx

Crisps!!!! They are my favourite too!! My favourite food, if I don't have them at least once a day I get sad.

Wish I'd thought if that!!

We had a few Star Wars bits through our wedding such as R2D2 models dotted about, and Star Wars quotes on our favours. My husband loves Star Wars and I quite enjoy it myself. We had a cake topper which had a Game of Thrones quote on which again my husband loves. The colour scheme is my favourite colour. I chose a lot of the decor so it kind of reflected my likes. 

Husband's suit was vintage style which we both love. We had a vintage box to hold our favours which again reflects our style......old!! Our first dance was an acoustic cover of a Muse song we love. 

• MrsS2019MrsS2019 Posts: 132 New bride

We're having a friends quote for our cake topper (He's her lobster) as we both love friends, then the tables will be named after Game of Thrones houses as fiance is a big GOT fan. We're planning on custom made lollipops as I love sweets and the colours of them will reflect our colour scheme and during the dj music in the evening we're planning on slipping a few of my fiances bands songs in as well we've got to have some of their music in the evening. Hopefully more things will crop up as we move along with planning.

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316

We're probably showing a bit too much personality through ours - dress, food, ceremony, readings, style of party, music, random location... in fact, people will no doubt say 'this is a bit random/mad' - which is exactly what we're like, so, erm, I guess that's it!

I haven't found enough ways to incorporate Game of Thrones which I'm sad about, but OH drew the line! I've got dragons on my shoes though...

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 1,906 New bride

We will have a few subtle touches:

I have bought mini Hyrule Crest toppers to decorate one of the tiers on our wedding cake (from Legend of Zelda, OH's fave computer game).

Hoping to get Rossi's ice cream to serve with the desserts as it's made in my OH's hometown and him and his family all love it.

Our wedding favours are key shaped bottle openers which are apt as my dad and brother are locksmiths.

Obviously having music we love throughout the day.

Having an evening BBQ instead of a buffet as my OH bloody loves BBQs and burgers are his favourite thing on Earth!

We are undecided but are possibly going to have a tower of Krispy Kreme doughnuts as well as a wedding cake as again, my OH loves them.

Colours and flowers are all my favourites as OH doesn't really care or have an opinion on them.

It's my MIL, nan in law and stepmum's birthdays all the week of the wedding, and my friend's 1st anniversary the day of the wedding, so going to have some kind of cake or gift brought out for them during the speeches - undecided as to exactly what yet.

• My OH loves Nutella, so for name cards we are having personalised mini jars of Nutella made. These will also count as favours. Am really not a fan of the favour idea, would sooner put money behind the bar, but these are a nice compromise.

We're having a big fireworks display as we love fireworks

I'm a big gin fan, so we're currently looking at having our personalised gin made for the day

Following from the gin, I love cocktails so am currently working with a mixologist to have a cocktail made that incorporates middle eastern flavours and south western. We live in Dubai and both come from the south west. 

For the evening buffet, we are only having cheese toasties and bacon baps as they are our favourites. 

Thats about it. I am thinking of getting an ice cream truck in for during the after ceremony reception as I LOVE ice cream. But let's see. The budget is getting tight! 

• Blush2018Blush2018 Posts: 247 New bride
    MrsBeehan wrote (see post):
    Bebe2 wrote (see post):

Hey ladies, 

What about you? 

xx

Crisps!!!! They are my favourite too!! My favourite food, if I don't have them at least once a day I get sad.

We had a few Star Wars bits through our wedding such as R2D2 models dotted about, and Star Wars quotes on our favours. My husband loves Star Wars and I quite enjoy it myself. We had a cake topper which had a Game of Thrones quote on which again my husband loves. The colour scheme is my favourite colour. I chose a lot of the decor so it kind of reflected my likes. 

Husband's suit was vintage style which we both love. We had a vintage box to hold our favours which again reflects our style......old!! Our first dance was an acoustic cover of a Muse song we love. 

Ooh let me guess the muse song, is it unintended?? They’re my favourite band 

• MrsTraceyMrsTracey Posts: 815 New bride

We are having music as a constant throughout, and we’re lucky that lots of our friends are professional singers so are performing our favourite songs during the ceremony and throughout the day. 

We also met both living in Wimbledon, so we are naming our tables after wombles and having these guys as a cake topper! 

Also, I loooove cheese, so we’re having a cheese tower wedding cake instead of a traditional cake. 

Also, we’re having a glitter bar for the evening! 

• MrsMGMrsMG Posts: 359

Me and my husband are both huge LOTR and we known locally as the crazy cat couple so we added both of those things to our wedding. We both wore cat ears during the ceremony - mine were diamante and his wear black, our vows were LOTR quotes but made to sound more 'vow-ish', our vows were printed into laminated card in the LOTR font as well as the LOTR map background, my ring is 'the one ring' from LOTR, our cake was cat themed, we matched in purple - I wore a purple dress and he wore a navy shirt with a purple and navy kilt, walked down the ailse to a song from LOTR, signed the register to a song from How To Train Your Dragon and we skipped out the town hall to Always Look on The Bright Side of Life.

Our first dance started off as a waltz so everyone thought we were just having a slow dance and about 15 secs in, it cut to Jump the Line by Harry Belafonte lol

• Elz2017 wrote (see post):

We're probably showing a bit too much personality through ours - dress, food, ceremony, readings, style of party, music, random location... in fact, people will no doubt say 'this is a bit random/mad' - which is exactly what we're like, so, erm, I guess that's it!

I haven't found enough ways to incorporate Game of Thrones which I'm sad about, but OH drew the line! I've got dragons on my shoes though...

I don't think you can ever show to much personality on your wedding day! if you can't when your marrying your best friend when can you! xx

• We have tried to bring as much as our personalities and us to the wedding as much as possible! We are getting married in a church in the village where I grew up (we did prefer just us 2 in vegas to this idea but theres to many family members who'd never let us live it down!) but my mum and dad got married there and he's now passed away so its a little sentimental touch but other then that we've decided to get rid of most traditions as we HATE them. We have sacked off big group and family photos all together and are just getting some special ones including just me and my OH, some smoke bombs, my personalised leather jacket and our 2 french bulldogs who will be there throughout! We have a violinist who is playing the GOT theme tune, and songs off Gladiator and Braveheart as we are massive TV and film buffs! We have a Harry Potter crate that our guestbook and polaroid camera etc is going in for the day and also a beer filled wheel barrow rather than proper welcome drinks as thats far to formal for us! We hated the idea of a sit down meal so are having a chilled out bbq for the afternoon while we have a Indie band on and pizza and chips for the night as aside from my OH pizza is my bae. Im keeping my hair bright turquoise for the day which some people are probably not best pleased with and to top it off 3 out of the 4 people who came wedding dress shopping with me disliked my dress but I loved it and thats the only thing that matters to us!  

S_T_B_MrsT wrote (see post):

We have tried to bring as much as our personalities and us to the wedding as much as possible! We are getting married in a church in the village where I grew up (we did prefer just us 2 in vegas to this idea but theres to many family members who'd never let us live it down!) but my mum and dad got married there and he's now passed away so its a little sentimental touch but other then that we've decided to get rid of most traditions as we HATE them. We have sacked off big group and family photos all together and are just getting some special ones including just me and my OH, some smoke bombs, my personalised leather jacket and our 2 french bulldogs who will be there throughout! We have a violinist who is playing the GOT theme tune, and songs off Gladiator and Braveheart as we are massive TV and film buffs! We have a Harry Potter crate that our guestbook and polaroid camera etc is going in for the day and also a beer filled wheel barrow rather than proper welcome drinks as thats far to formal for us! We hated the idea of a sit down meal so are having a chilled out bbq for the afternoon while we have a Indie band on and pizza and chips for the night as aside from my OH pizza is my bae. Im keeping my hair bright turquoise for the day which some people are probably not best pleased with and to top it off 3 out of the 4 people who came wedding dress shopping with me disliked my dress but I loved it and thats the only thing that matters to us!  

You sound similar to us! Every time I mention that my hair will be pink on the day everyone protests and they're all like "well will you at least grow out your undercut???" Nope I'm shaving it to the bone! I also recently had my back tattoo reworked (it's a watercolor pegasus) so it'll look good in my dress and my mum had a heart attack like "YOU CAN'T SHOW YOUR TATTOO ON YOUR WEDDING DAY!!!"

• S_T_B_MrsT wrote (see post):

We have tried to bring as much as our personalities and us to the wedding as much as possible! We are getting married in a church in the village where I grew up (we did prefer just us 2 in vegas to this idea but theres to many family members who'd never let us live it down!) but my mum and dad got married there and he's now passed away so its a little sentimental touch but other then that we've decided to get rid of most traditions as we HATE them. We have sacked off big group and family photos all together and are just getting some special ones including just me and my OH, some smoke bombs, my personalised leather jacket and our 2 french bulldogs who will be there throughout! We have a violinist who is playing the GOT theme tune, and songs off Gladiator and Braveheart as we are massive TV and film buffs! We have a Harry Potter crate that our guestbook and polaroid camera etc is going in for the day and also a beer filled wheel barrow rather than proper welcome drinks as thats far to formal for us! We hated the idea of a sit down meal so are having a chilled out bbq for the afternoon while we have a Indie band on and pizza and chips for the night as aside from my OH pizza is my bae. Im keeping my hair bright turquoise for the day which some people are probably not best pleased with and to top it off 3 out of the 4 people who came wedding dress shopping with me disliked my dress but I loved it and thats the only thing that matters to us!  

Love this! We're also going with smoke bombs and a leather jacket. Am just deciding whether to go with Just Married or Wifey on the back...thinking Wifey. Where did you get your Potter crate from, i love Harry Potter. Am actually considering using the Waltz music from Goblet of Fire for my processional music.

• MrsBeehanMrsBeehan Posts: 378 New bride
    Blush2018 wrote (see post):
    MrsBeehan wrote (see post):
    Bebe2 wrote (see post):

Hey ladies, 

What about you? 

xx

Ooh let me guess the muse song, is it unintended?? They’re my favourite band 

Starlight :) 

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

We had quite a few little bits through out the day really - wanted the day overall to feel like it was what we liked.

We got married in November coz we both hate being too hot :)

Music: i walked down to star wars throne room music as hubby is a massive fan. Whilst we signed the register we had my three fave songs playing in the background.

Background music during the day was our playlist.

We had hot chocolate and cookies / doughnuts instead of appetizers and a dessert table not just a cake as i have a major sweet tooth

Our table names and decorations were themed around our favorite films - each was named the 'land' e.g. Neverland, Hill Valley

Our invitiations were also themed around the films - we used Disney font and quoted several of the films within the wording

• stacey147stacey147 Posts: 108

We are having a bike theme to reflect our love of Cycling, we have bikes on out std and invites, a tandem cake topper, a vintage bike with the front basket filled with confetti, bicycles on the name place cards, a bike wheel to display the seating arrangement and a kask of ale from the fixed wheel brewary.

We are also having our dog as ring bearer and the conga as our first dance

• Issa19unionIssa19union Posts: 123

Ohh im loving this thread!

We’re having music all day with performances as both of us have musicians in the family. 

Coffee cocktails for the afternoon we are both coffee lovers and are having coffee from places around the world we have been to as favours.

I’ll also be changing into a custom made jumpsuit as I’ve always been abit of a tomboy!

Our wedding party are also having a country vs country kind of dance off because we are both from so many different countries we thought it would be a fun way to represent and the guests can join in

• Lauren320Lauren320 Posts: 52

Our table names are cities that mean something to us, along with photos of us in those places and a quote of why it's special to us.

Teabags in the favours (as I drink A LOT of tea).

I made our table confetti from hole punching photocopies of our books (as we're both book lovers).

Our music playlist throughout the day is very reflective of our music taste.

A sweetie table to reflect my sweet tooth!

I'm doing my own make up so that it's definitely reflective of 'me'.

One of our readings is from our joint favourite book.

Our cake topper reflects H2B's love of film noir, and his whole outfit is so 'him'.

• We're having Star Wars wedding invites and I'm buying H2B a Star Wars buttonhole (he doesn't know this yet).

Although I want a piper to play before the ceremony, the rest of the music will be from some of our favourite musicians: Iron Maiden, Bryan Adams, Bruce Springsteen, etc.

The wedding will have lots of purple as that is my absolute favourite colour.

I'm also going to use lines from some of our favourite films as part of my vows.

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

WWe had star wars lego figures on ouroute buttonholes for men plus star wars cufflinks :)

• rammgeistrammgeist Posts: 62

We're having hints of Halloween everywhere. Halloween themed confetti, napkins, paper plates and a couple of banners. I'll also be wearing a black, ivory and purple dress and my OH will be wearing a purple suit as it's both our fave colour.

We're also getting married in a place that has been used to film Dr Who episodes in many times as we're both huge fans. We've requested the DJ to play lots of rock music as well :D

• MrsMGMrsMG Posts: 359
    rammgeist wrote (see post):

We're having hints of Halloween everywhere. Halloween themed confetti, napkins, paper plates and a couple of banners. I'll also be wearing a black, ivory and purple dress and my OH will be wearing a purple suit as it's both our fave colour.

We're also getting married in a place that has been used to film Dr Who episodes in many times as we're both huge fans. We've requested the DJ to play lots of rock music as well :D

Aww that sounds fantastic! I'd have loved a horror/halloween themed wedding but my husband hates all things horror! He has no taste lol. He did let me make our bedroom horror themed though

• Aimee73Aimee73 Posts: 96

Beyond the normal stuff such as music (noone had heard the song we walked down the aisle to before but it had us and several of our guests in tears, and the rest of the music reflected us really well in general) my favourite personal touches were our ring box and cake topper (we covered our dog love and marvel love). Our Labrador is called Thor (soon to be joined by a younger brother, loki) so we had to have him as part of our day somehow. The cake topper could have been an actual image of us because everytime we hug our dog launches himself at us to make it a family hug! 

Other than that, the day in general was totally us. There was just us and 17 people (our closest family and very best friends), post ceremony drinks reception had garden games for everyone to play. We don't like a huge fuss and treasure those closest to us so wouldn't have wanted it any other way :)

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

Mine sound very boring compared to others but we are having heart shaped confetti cut out of books to reflect my love of reading.

My OH loves motorbikes so we are having a vintage motorbike parked outside and decorated with ribbons, tin cans and wedding signs.

Purple is my favourite colour so that is our wedding colour 

I'm also a big Friends and Sex and the City song - ideally I would like our tables named after Friends episodes but my OH has vetoed that.  Our last songs to be played will be the Friends theme tune and 'You've got the love' which is the last song played in the last episode of SATC.

• DandelionBlueDandelionBlue Posts: 1,039 New bride

We are having 50 guests with only our closet family and friends.

Iam German/English and he is Scottish. So we are including traditions from both cultures. We are having a polterabend the night before and are sawing a lot together after the ceremony. And we are having kilts, a bagpiper and a handfastening.

One of our favourite past timed is visiting castle's and estates from the national trust and English heritage. I am an architect and he's a hobby historian. So we are having the wedding in a castle.

We love antique things so our decor is made up of a lot of old items I found in charity shops and antiquitarians. And our photobooth will allow guests to dress up 1930s style.

We also love nature and walking in the woods so our flowers reflect this.

We travel a lot but I didn't want to go fully travel themed. Nonetheless their are hints in the decor. For instance our table names are counties  we visited and this is also reflected in the vintage travel books that are part of the centrepiece.

I have always had my head in the clouds and loved fairy tales. So there is an undercurrent of that in everything. We are having a mirror as our welcome sign and a moss covered gold frame covered in keys for our table plan. 

We are having a humanist wedding and have written the entire ceremony ourselves.

In the evening we are having a cocktail bar with personalised cockta8ls. And because one of our favourite drinks is slow gin we are having miniature bottles as our favours.

rammgeist wrote (see post):

Where are you getting married??? I would love to have doctor who as a part of our day but fiance HATES it 

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,461 New bride

We have tried to get quite a lot of elements of “us” into the day.

Invites- we both love quirky things, and cooking, so had wedding tea towel invites.  We also asked for “unique RSVPs” which have been a massive success (see my thread!)

Venue- Very local (important to us as we like to do everything local), old but with modern facilities (very much our style generally)

Décor- my fiancé is a massive science geek, so we have science themed centre pieces, and then I really like the look of balloons, so we have those on half of them.  Table names are our favourite restaurants.

Food- we are using eggs from our friend’s quails in the canapés, the starters are Italian (I am part Italian) main is Brazilian (my surname is currently Brazilian/Portugese), and the pork is coming from the farm we got engaged at. The dessert is English (partner is English)  In the evening we have cupcakes made using our own eggs, and flour from the family that own our venue, a cheese and pie cake- we are both massive fans of cheese and pie.  Then we have had a cake sculpture made of chocolate and filled with handmade truffles using our favourite flavours.  Evening food will also be either crepes (I used to live in France) or fish/sausage in batter and chips which we both really like.  Oh and we are also looking at edible balloons being done as well as we love our Michelin star restaurants

Drink- I love prosecco, so there will be a pimp my prosecco bar.  My fiancé is a big beer person, so we are having a craft beer bar, with loads of different types of beers

Favours- Our favours are gin and vodka, by an artisan producer who happens to be my Aunt!

Cars- I grew up in London, and until we moved to Essex last year, have always lived there.  So we have  booked black Hackney cabs for the bridal party

Entertainment- On our first ever trip away together, we went to York for a weekend.  When we were there we met a guy called Pedally Steve, who cuts names using a manual fretsaw powered by his bike.  It is the only one in the UK, possibly the world.  Anyway, we have managed to get him to come down and cut names for guests.  And we also have a caravan photobooth with a waltzer carriage in it, because we wanted something totally different that no one would ever have seen

Generally we are very into our “shop local” so have sourced as much as possible from local producers.