What Am I Doing?! - April 2020

• cs2thecox wrote (see post):

Love the mood boards!

I was only converted away from being a Paint luddite by the (free) PhotoGrid app. Game changing. Even my mum's on board and uses it for little collages of holiday photos.

(I also can't cope with Pinterest...)

Oh fab ill check it out thank you! For a Millennial i really do not get on with technology!  

• Dress Shopping!

So i survived shopping with my mum and sister! Wahooo 

It was actually a lovely day, and they got on perfectly well and no dramas! Maybe i need to give them a bit more credit in future.

I'm actually really gutted Woburn Bridal is closing down, they're really lovely there and SO accommodating. I explained that i had a dress that just didn't feel "me" and something wasn't sitting right with it, and i must've picked out about 9 dresses, and she picked out a few as well. I didn't get pictures of all of them, but please enjoy the hilarity that some of the below offers. 

For what its worth, i'm a UK12 and only realised enroute that i might not fit into some of them. Turns out they get pretty determined to shoehorn you in! I felt like Keira Knightly in Pirates of the Caribbean where she cant breathe and passes out 

Also - DON'T do what i did, and pick dresses willy nilly not looking at the price tag. THIS IS DANGEROUS and you will regret it. the store didn't ask, and so i forgot, because i didn't have any expectations to find something there.Lethal

You can see on my face in this one what a NO it is. Separates do nothing for me apart from making me look like sausage meat. 

This one was very pretty, and floaty like i wanted to try, but it reminded me too much of a friends dress so went right out the running. 

This dress I LOVED! On the skirt it had a pattern of florals and was just to die for, but sadly the pictures didn't pick it up well at all. This is partly why in ended up a No.This was the front runner, but also the first one i actually tried on. Mum looked all emotional, sister was smiling like the Cheshire cat.  It was beautiful but when its main feature doesn't show up well, seems pointless. Oh that and (of course) it was double my budget. Fully double. I have expensive taste. I danced around in it a lot and my heart cried a little when i saw the price tag. 

And here's the wildcard. My sister saw it and i thought, fuck it why not. It has that Hayley Paige esq look about it, and there's no denying its the opposite of my first dress! I wanted to try different and this was certainly that. Imagine my surprise when i walk out and both their faces went a bit 

(Photo of dress removed just in case - but trust me its GORGEOUS )

And i also tried it on with this top that i adore, but at £250 for the top alone it wasn't meant to be (although i later found its rrp is £600!!)

So, having gone with the intention to get an idea of what i liked i definitely did. Turns out the dresses that are sleek and form fitting just don't rock it for me. 

I actually ended up buying this last dress, with a huge 70% saving and it doesn't need alterations (i just need to maintain what i can)

I feel a bit guilty bu i cant stop looking at pictures of it, and for the first time i got a real feel for the whole "look". I want to look at accessories and hairstyles and veils, whereas before i felt like i was doing it just to make the rest of it feel more comfortable and "me". 

Id really appreciate any opinions too! I feel like i'm shite at making decisions! 

So now i'm going to try and sell the first dress, which fills me with so much anxiety. I feel really sad to see it go, and when i went for the appointment i was actually feeling quite confident that it was the right dress and would be lovely, but trying on others made me realise how i should be feeling in it, and it just wasn't happening for me. 

I really really hop someone goes for it and can feel awesome in it, i'm only selling it for what it cost me which was a bargain anyway so here's hoping! If anyone has any tips on how to sell it let me know! I have adverts up everywhere at the moment 

• Zara29Zara29 Posts: 105

Not sure if it's just me but the images aren't showing up :(

• Zara29 wrote (see post):

Not sure if it's just me but the images aren't showing up :(

Oh no!! Ive tried to add them in a different way now, fingers crossed that works. Theyre quite big so might need a little moment to load x

ETA: actually sorted now lol

• For reference, this is original dress VS new dress

I'm genuinely feeling a bit torn, but i think its because i feel guilty. 

Constructive feedback super welcome! 

(Photo removed because i'm paranoid)

• I think you look stunning in both dresses, the second dress (on the right) really tucks in on your waist and makes your figure look even more amazing! x

• MrsThompsonToBe wrote (see post):

I think you look stunning in both dresses, the second dress (on the right) really tucks in on your waist and makes your figure look even more amazing! x

Thank you, thats really sweet. I do love the first one, but i guess i had it for months and the fact i kept looking proves it just isnt for me. 

• cs2thecoxcs2thecox Posts: 260 New bride

I agree with MrsT - the second one gives you an awesome waist. I love it.

Personally, I'd go hair up and a slightly softer veil, but given all this is pretty close to what I just chose on Saturday it's HUGELY biased by my experience!

I was also in between a more fitted lacey dress, and my chosen one. I went big partly because it's just a bit different, and so's your second one. So many brides seem to have had fitted and lacy in the last 5 or so years, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I want to stand out on my wedding day, and go for something just a little more unexpected. I think your second dress does that!

(I also definitely binned the fitted one because my mum told my sister (who told me afterwards) that my stomach stuck out in it. The big skirt hides ALL of that!! I need to be able to eat and drink at my wedding without worrying!)

And I am SO glad that the day went well! What a relief!

• I do love love love the first dress, but I think you look radiant in the second dress, maybe it's the difference in backgrounds or that you look more smiley in the second photo, I'm not sure, but by photo comparison I vote for the new dress.

But just to throw this out there........what about two dresses? Hehe

• Thank you  cs2thecox & Jessica Rabbit ! I appreciate they're quite different photos so it's hard to compare really, and being such different styles it really doesn't help, as I think they're both beautiful in their own ways .

I really am grateful for both of your feedback <3 

I did toy with the idea of two dresses, but when I think about it I feel sad that I wouldn't get to wear the second one for that moment when M sees me for the first time, and I guess that kind of gives me my answer. 

By softer veil do you mean a more flowy tulle and something just a bit lighter? I do like the idea of my veil being a little unusual, but i think I'll be avoiding lace details so I think anything like that will be a little unusual in comparison. 

The one thing that really put me off the slim fitted dress was the fact on the lead up to and on the day I would really have to watch what I eat, and dancing might be a little harder, wheras in the new dress I don't have to worry about any of that which feels quite freeing x

Also I've sorted the rest of the photos so have a little laugh  

• I love the second dress too! Makes your fab figure look amazing! 

• Kaybridetobe wrote (see post):

I love the second dress too! Makes your fab figure look amazing! 

Thank you! Thats so sweet! <3

(The first set of photos work for me too now. Love seeing other people trying stuff on!)

I just meant a softer tulle veil. You don't want anything to distract from that gorgeous skirt!

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,911 New bride

I love the second dress! I've gone A line, I don't have the figure for slim dresses anyway, but I tried a couple on and I just didn't feel like a bride in them!

• Candice9Candice9 Posts: 230 New bride

I LOVE the second one!!

• Thank you everyone  My sister sent me over some more photos and here is my favourite, because you really can see on my face how excited i am.

(photo of dress itself removed now)

Now i just have to contain the excitement for 18 months! 

Everything else is at a standstill now. I'm waiting for half term so i can get M to go through his side of the guest list so i can work out how many Save the Dates to make, but other than that the focus is switching to a DIY Christmas and our first proper one in our own home. 

Last year when we bought our first home together we got the keys on the 20th, so Christmas was spent on a mattress on the floor with no heating, we had a camping table and 2 camping chairs in the lounge and boxing day we got up early to paint the lounge before heading to his parents. Its funny, we had put everything into getting our house so it took a little while before we could get nice furniture, but i wouldn't change it for the world <3 

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

I actually really love your first dress on you but it’s so clear in the way you’re standing and looking in both that you feel so much better in the second dress which is equally as beautiful! I’ve also gone for A line with a tulle skirt and they just feel so gorgeous swishing around!! I love the topper you tried on, maybe you’ll be able to pick a bargain up somewhere along the line! 

• Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 512 New bride

The original dress was lovely, but your new one is absolutely jaw-dropping and you look SO happy in it, it really suits you and shows off your figure. 100% right decision :). I absolutely adore the skirt and that texture, it's really beautiful!

• Cecilia13 wrote (see post):

The original dress was lovely, but your new one is absolutely jaw-dropping and you look SO happy in it, it really suits you and shows off your figure. 100% right decision :). I absolutely adore the skirt and that texture, it's really beautiful!

Oh thank you so much! <3 That's really so sweet. I think i need to work on accepting ill be "the centre of attention" but at least this dress gives me the confidence to feel like i can actually own it. 

CoffeeDogAddict wrote (see post):
    Cecilia13 wrote (see post):

Oh thank you so much! <3 That's really so sweet. I think i need to work on accepting ill be "the centre of attention" but at least this dress gives me the confidence to feel like i can actually own it. 

It definitely should because it looks amazing. Plus I'm sure you'll be so happy that you won't notice!

• I’m a bit late to this but the second dress is gorgeous (so’s the first one) but your whole self seems happier in the second one and it makes your waist look tiny! 

• MrsA-NToBe wrote (see post):

I’m a bit late to this but the second dress is gorgeous (so’s the first one) but your whole self seems happier in the second one and it makes your waist look tiny! 

Aw thank you that's really kind! I do keep thinking "oh god its such a princess dress" but i cant deny i loved how i felt in it, and i do think it makes me look good. 

The further through this process i go the more i find my ideas totally changing. Originally i wanted everything to be unconventional, quirky and very un-wedding. I wanted a coloured wedding dress, no traditions, no bridal party, no fuss. I don't know if its M rubbing off on me, but here i am with an ivory princess dress and everything i said i wasn't going to have. 

We're still making it totally "us" and it has lots of cute touches, its just funny that as i go i'm realising it isn't such a bad thing to go down the more conventional route. it doesn't make me boring or a sell out, it's just actually what i want. 

I'm just the same - what I thought I wanted turns out not to be the things that have made my heart sing as we've planned this. I'm totally just rolling with what feels good.

Also, the "traditional" things have stayed around and become traditional because they work and people like them. I don't see any problem with taking advantage of what is basically years and years and YEARS of experience of hundreds of thousands of other brides...

(I'm still surprised I have a big dress and a castle though. Who knew?!)

• cs2thecox wrote (see post):

I'm just the same - what I thought I wanted turns out not to be the things that have made my heart sing as we've planned this. I'm totally just rolling with what feels good.

Also, the "traditional" things have stayed around and become traditional because they work and people like them. I don't see any problem with taking advantage of what is basically years and years and YEARS of experience of hundreds of thousands of other brides...

(I'm still surprised I have a big dress and a castle though. Who knew?!)

That's a very good point!! I have never looked at it that way before. I definitely feel better in my more mainstream decisions, at least it means it should go (mostly) to plan. 

That is the other upside of being "normal" I guess - all the suppliers know what to do!

Makes me feel more confident in my choices too...

• ANOTHER ROYAL WEDDING

Is anyone else really excited for the wedding of Princess Eugenie & Jack Brooksbank?

I'm sat at work (alone) with a cuppa and YouTube all fired up for the live stream 

I love a good wedding! 

I'd try not to worry about whether something is traditional, or what you thought you'd like, or not, and just concentrate on what you like and what makes you happy! Some of my day is more casual and less traditional (curry, jazz, walking myself down the aisle, tipis, accordion at drinks reception) but my main wedding dress turned out to be super traditional, ballgown with sleeves and cathedral length veil, which I totally didn't expect, and fell in completely in love with. You never know :) and it's quite fun to discover.

• CoffeeDogAddict wrote (see post):
    MrsA-NToBe wrote (see post):

I’m a bit late to this but the second dress is gorgeous (so’s the first one) but your whole self seems happier in the second one and it makes your waist look tiny! 

Aw thank you that's really kind! I do keep thinking "oh god its such a princess dress" but i cant deny i loved how i felt in it, and i do think it makes me look good. 

The further through this process i go the more i find my ideas totally changing. Originally i wanted everything to be unconventional, quirky and very un-wedding. I wanted a coloured wedding dress, no traditions, no bridal party, no fuss. I don't know if its M rubbing off on me, but here i am with an ivory princess dress and everything i said i wasn't going to have. 

We're still making it totally "us" and it has lots of cute touches, its just funny that as i go i'm realising it isn't such a bad thing to go down the more conventional route. it doesn't make me boring or a sell out, it's just actually what i want. 

I think that’s part of it, the adapting! I’m very much of the mindset that if something feels right, then I’m going with it, even if it wasn’t necessarily how i thought it would be originally! I really am a ‘go with your gut’ type of person and am very aware that the dress that I think I want, may not be the one that I walk out of the shop with! 

As long as you’re happy with your decision... that’s all that matters! 

• Cecilia13 & MrsA-NToBe  thank you! I'm learning to have more confidence in my choices and be less swayed by the masses. I know at the end of the day as long as we get married and we're fed ill be happy! 

• We went to The National Wedding Show in London this weekend, and all i can say is if we hadnt got the tickets free id have been pretty pissed off. 

Its fine if you havent booked anything, but it was all just services, so photographers, venues, djs, that kind of thing. 

I was in the mood to spend decent money but there was just nothing. There were maybe 2/3 stands that did hair accessories, but nothing under £100! Madness

We did have a nice day though, chatted a lot about wedding stuff on the train and M got more of a picture of how he wants to look on the day. We've mostly decided against butonaires now, but potentially will have some for grandfathers. 

M likes the ideal of a light blue tie & pocket square, and i can lie im going to need to be convinced. I just find it so.....samey. He would wear a blue tie to work, it doesnt feel special. Im just not a fan of light blue or light pink generally really, it feels a bit juvenile. 

Still if it makes him happy!

I also discovered if you ask for a bridal top that isnt lace you will get looked at like you stabbed someone. Im having such a struggle to find a top for my dress that isnt lacey. There are some on Etsy, but for £250+ and when ill be wearing it for about an hour, theres no way im spending that much on it.  It might be something i add to the ever growing DIY list.