Anyone else doing their own makeup?

I've decided that I'll be doing my own makeup on the day as I do it everyday and know what works for me. Am I crazy for deciding this? Anyone else doing it or have done it successfully?

• KelllieKelllie Posts: 77 New bride

i am doing my make up, i will just be doing the usual i always do and use a little setting spray to hopefully keep it in place all day

• It didn’t even cross my mind to do my own makeup! For me, I want to be pampered in the morning (and treat my mum and sister too) and dont want the stress of doing my own and having to worry about timings and messing it up etc. 

But I do think it’s so expensive to hire somone else so it seems like much better value to spend the money on some good quality products that you can use again after the wedding. If you’re confident and relaxed enough to do it, I’d say don’t second guess your decision. If you do have doubts, maybe book in for a trial and see how you feel after that? 

• gill17gill17 Posts: 568 New bride

I did my own and never considered otherwise. I'm so glad I did and it worked really well for me. I figure nobody knows my skin and style like I do, and I wanted to be able to retouch it during day if I wanted to and if I'd had an artist then they would have taken their products with them when they left. The 20 mins of quiet while I did it was a welcome pocket of calm in the morning, and my photographer got some lovely pics of me getting ready. I did basically a more polished version of my usual make up, with slightly darker eyes and lips, and had eyelash extensions, finished with powder and setting spray. 

• Ozzy2bOzzy2b Posts: 143

I am doing my own. I did go and do a bridal make up session at Bobbi Brown, and whilst they were lovely and I found some really good products, I found the experience of having someone else do my make up so strange! I don’t wear much make up day to day but I have a really good skincare routine down and so just trying out different ideas  and products to see what works.

For the day I’m just planning to have blotting paper and setting spray to hand to keep it all looking fresh 😊

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 930 New bride

I'm really considering doing my own. 

I've had quotes and they are all around the £150 mark just for me, including trial. I've not seen any artist's work that I've thought oh wow that looks amazing. 

I love lash extensions so will be paying for individual lash extensions for the day anyway. I'm not fantastic at make up but I cope day to day! 

Does anyone have any tips? 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • MrsS2019MrsS2019 Posts: 128 New bride
    GinAndBling wrote (see post):

I'm really considering doing my own. 

I've had quotes and they are all around the £150 mark just for me, including trial. I've not seen any artist's work that I've thought oh wow that looks amazing. 

I love lash extensions so will be paying for individual lash extensions for the day anyway. I'm not fantastic at make up but I cope day to day! 

Does anyone have any tips? 

Watch youtube videos on how to apply make and also video reviews as some (especially for foundation and concealer) will do wear tests. That's how I mainly learnt the better techniques for applying make up. Also just experiment. If you know what skin type you are then it'll be easier to find products that will work with you. I have oily skin so I have to have foundations that are water based rather than oil based. You can also ask for samples of higher end makeups to try out before committing. It is all trial and error and if you've got the time I'd attempt to practice before deciding whether you'll do it yourself or pay someone to.

I'm doing my own makeup as I'm pretty good at it, and wont have as much confidence in someone else doing my makeup for me. Already got the products, just got to find the right look.

• kate268kate268 Posts: 69 New bride

I took the money I would have spent on a MUA and treated myself to some lovely products. Like others have said, I had a trial at Bobbi Brown and felt it was so caked on, it didn't feel like me at all, even if the look was 'natural'. I did get some products from them but applied them less liberally! Bare Minerals were also helpful. 

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 930 New bride

Thanks guys. I've booked a trial at Bobbi Brown for a few weeks time to see how I get on! 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • Rach371Rach371 Posts: 821 New bride

I've been practising my wedding make up every weekend whilst h2b is playing golf, I've got it down to 45 minutes. 

My tips would be you tube videos- Bobbi brown have tutorials online 

Also, invest in DECENT make up brushes! Oh and a good primer and setting spray is a must. 

I didn't have extensions as I've already gone eye lashes but I've had a lash lift and I love the effect 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,298

I did my own and it was the best decision. I would say that I only reccomend this approach to somebody who already uses and enjoys make up- not the best occassion to pick up a brush for the first time! I chose to do it myself as I couldn't find a make up artist who I liked that was willing to come for Bride only. My BMs weren't bothered about having it done as they don't wear make up. Didn't fancy paying £70pp for 3 ladies who aren't bothered!

I had a trial at Bobby Brown- just tell them what you want and they won't cake it on unless you want that. I used a combination of Bobbi Brown and my established favorites on the day. I probably spent around £300 in all but you don't have to go for premium brands. It sounds like a lot but I've already had over a years usage out of the products rather than spending that on a one time make up artist.

If you want to read what I used and how it went then there is a link to my wedding report in my signature

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

I'm doing my own too!

When we went over to Cyprus a few months ago I had a trial with a MUA there and hated it - I didn't look like "me" and was really disappointed - I took it off as soon as she left. 

So then I went to Charlotte Tilbury at the Trafford Centre for a lesson and spent a fortune on products. I have had a couple of practices but need to do lots more. But I felt lovely when the CT lady had finished and really liked the results. I wrote down what I needed to do (what product goes where and when!!) and have looked online at tutorials. 

Good luck xx

• KerryNash2BKerryNash2B Posts: 78

I have to say that this thread has made me feel more at ease about doing my own hair and make-up.

I don't wear make-up often but when I do, I know what I prefer. Plus, my H2B already knows what I look like and that is who he is marrying.

My mum has asked me about getting a MUA (mostly because she wants hers done) and I can already see the horror on her face when I tell her that I'm going to do my own. 

• Desert-brideDesert-bride Posts: 220 New bride

This thread has made me feel both at ease and nervous all at the same time. I don’t typcially wear make up. Friends usually do it for me. I nad planned on having a make up person do hair and make up. But it turns out, the middle of the desert isn’t filled with options on that front. 

I’ve brought the basics, I’m a beginner and struggle with make up. I don’t want lots, I don’t want to be caked in it but equally don’t fancy being stressed. 

Is the lessons at Bobbi Brown enough to teach a beginner??

• Martha13Martha13 Posts: 46

I think I've written this before on another thread but I'm following Lauren Curtis bridal make up video on YouTube with some tweaks (nars sheer glow foundation, Bobbi Brown colour corrector, benefit eyebrow gel, loreal black eyeshadow for eyeliner) have done a few trials and it lasts amazing well especially if you add a setting spray ! The Bobbi Brown lesson i found helpful too lots of good tips ! Trial as many times as possible take photos in bright sunlight and low light with flash. Check in a mirror in daylight to see how it looks. If your friends usually do it for you could one of them give you a lesson ?