Afternoon tea reception

I’m about to book my caterer for canapés, afternoon tea (selection of finger sandwiches, 2 types of cake, and scones), and evening hog roast and cheese tower cake.

They’re all foods I love and am excited to eat, but  I’m worried that other people won’t see it as a proper wedding meal.

How would you feel as a guest being served afternoon tea at a wedding ?

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 1,763 New bride

I'd be fine with it, afternoon tea is quite filling! Love hog roast too 😁

• MrsRendall2BMrsRendall2B Posts: 343 New bride

Have to admit, I was invited to a wedding last year with an afternoon tea instead of a 'proper' meal and I scoffed when I read the invite thinking that we'd all be left starving until the evening reception and that they were trying to keep costs down (which I completely understand btw!). But actually was really surprised, there was loads of food all served to us - sandwiches, mini quiches, tartes, mini sausage rolls etc. as well as a few desserty pieces and I found myself walking away really full! It was also quite nice to have a greater selection of food, being a former picky eater. I didn't feel as pressured to eat or leave anything I didn't like - just grabbed a few staples I knew I'd enjoy and filled up on those.

In short, afternoon tea is a really nice idea and anyone who thinks negatively about it initially will probably enjoy it on the day. :) 

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316

I'd be very happy, and would love it. :-) I'm not such a fan of the traditional sit down wedding breakfast anyway, and something like this would make a nice change!

• Julia101Julia101 Posts: 161 New bride

Sounds good to me!  I think as long as there is enough of it so people don't go hungry it'll be lovely. Sometimes it's nice to go for a lighter option as well so people aren't falling asleep afterwards (or is that just me.... ) 

• Kitty12Kitty12 Posts: 119 New bride

I’m going to an afternoon tea wedding next month, and I’m really looking forward to it! I think it makes a nice change from the traditional sit-down meal (which I love and had at my wedding, by the way, I’m not criticising that option), and creates a bit more of a relaxed tone.

• Julia82Julia82 Posts: 123

I think it’s charming! And usually there is piles of food! As long as everyone knows it’s afternoon tea they can always choose to eat a massive lunch before! 

xxx

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 606 New bride

I love afternoon tea so it would be a winner for me!!!

x

• RubyCatRubyCat Posts: 269

What about vegetarians?

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316
    RubyCat wrote (see post):

What about vegetarians?

Cake, cucumber sandwiches, egg sandwiches, mini tartlets, etc...(making myself hungry.. )

Probably the issue might be 'what about anyone who is gluten free/vegan', but it's still possible to have gluten free cakes and tarts, and vegan ones if guests require.

In the evening, pulled jack fruit or similar would have a 'hog' feel.

• kitty-kitty- Posts: 121

It depends, we wanted an afternoon tea followed by hog roast but switched it round due to people travelling quite far for the wedding as our caterers said people would be hungry! 

• Kathryn102Kathryn102 Posts: 15

The caterers have said to allow for 10-15 canapes per person, so I’m not concerned about people being hungry, just that afternoon tea might be a bit ‘underwhelming’?

i think part of it is that the caterer doesn’t offer mini quiches or anything like that with it, so it will just be sandwiches, cake and scones.

• kitty-kitty- Posts: 121

Who doesn’t like sandwiches and cake? I wouldn’t call it underwhelming but as I said we want it too! Go for what you want!

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 960 New bride

Definitely go with what you want, it's your day after all.  You'll never please everyone, even with a full sit down meal there will always be someone that moans about something.  I would just mention it on your invites or wedding website (if you have one) and then your guests will know in advance and won't be surprised by it.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 1,763 New bride

That's a hell of alot of canapes per person! Most venues recommend 5 or 6 pp.

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 828 New bride
    MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

That's a hell of alot of canapes per person! Most venues recommend 5 or 6 pp.

This was also my thought- lots of venues I saw said 3! Not that I’d be unhappy with a plate of canapes haha

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 828 New bride

That's a mental amount of canapes! If your drinks reception is an hour or so then you're expecting each guest to eat a canape every four minutes! 

Dont get me wrong, as a guest i would love that many but you have to consider whether a waiter/waitress is going to be able to get round your guests quickly enough to shift the amount of canapes you have.

We're going for 6 per person and have been told that's plenty. 

• Kathryn102Kathryn102 Posts: 15

Yeah, I was surprised by the number of canapés. But equally I went to a wedding recently and the waiter just kept arriving with more and more canapés, and I loved it!