HELP! Solicitor or Notary? Stat declaration Italy wedding

Hi everyone,

I’m getting conflicting information from different solicitors so hoping anyone who is getting married or got married in Italy can help!

Can a solicitor witness and stamp our statutory declaration or does it have to be a notary?

Our wedding planner (and the UK Gov website) says solicitor or notary but I’ve been told by a couple of firms it must be a notary (which takes cost up from £5 to £100!).

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Jess xxx

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 1,761 New bride

The confusion is probably because many solicitors are also notaries.

We needed some documents certified for our mortgage and used a notary at a local solicitor's firm - took 5 minutes and think he charged us about £20.

Just google "notary *your town name*" to find one.

• Jessica1988Jessica1988 Posts: 5

Thank you. I’ve done that and shopped around and the fee ranges from £100+ so don’t want to go to a notary if a solicitor can just witness it for £5.

If anyone is going through the process of an Italian wedding, please help! X

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 930 New bride

Is it this stat dec?

If so I’ve sworn them as a solicitor. Notary publics are a different thing, but yes some notary are also soliciors. All solicitors are commissioners of oaths (Confused yet) and the maximum we can charge is £5 per declaration plus £2 for any exhibit. 

Usually if a notary is needed it will say it on the jurat at the bottom (before me...., Notary Public). 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,130 New bride

We get married in Italy too and I was under the impression it was a notary needed as they require an Apostille.

If having documents legalised they can be done by notaries or solicitors: https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

• MrsT2017MrsT2017 Posts: 225

We got married in Lake Como and ours was done by a solicitor for a fee of £10 don’t go paying over the odds!! Ours was absolutely fine and we are now legally married!! 😃

• Jessica1988Jessica1988 Posts: 5

Thanks so much for your responses everyone!! So helpful! Going to see our solicitor today.

• I just wanted to post a response in case any one else finds themselves in the situation I was in! I took advice from this thread and didn't use a notary, we went to our local solicitor and paid £10 (£5 each). 

We're now married and had no problems with our documents 

• Lisa226Lisa226 Posts: 127

Ours was done by a solicitor who didn’t charge! The stamp will be put on when you send it off.  Also, when you get married in Italy, ask if they can provide you with a translated copy of your marriage certificate, may save you doing it here.  x