Mrs C To Be..all change doing it our way!

Heyy..

I started a planning thread a few months back when I first joined but ALOT has happened since and some big changes happened.

We had booked our wedding at a lovely venue where we were also having our ceremony. Well, after a few fall outs among family, and some refusing to even come (!) we've scaled down the day and decided to be 'selfish' and have the wedding still. 

We got to a point where we weren't sure who was coming and who wasn't so we changed our plans slightly and we're now getting married at the local registry office followed by the rest of the wedding at the original venue. We've invited who WE want to our wedding and doing it OUR way. This has taken a lot of stress away. I won't bore you all with details but a little bit of advice for anyone who may have been or are in a similar situation, stick to your guns, it's your wedding day!

So, 44 days to go. Dress was purchased a while back so that's sorted, food/drink sorted with the venue, bouquets made, H2B getting his suit next week, rings are being purchased at the same time. Still got a bit of DIY to do and thank you gift bags to finish but we are starting to see the day taking shape. 

Hoping my friend can fit in my hair trial next week, she knows what style I'm after and my veil has finally arrived so just need to test run the style! Still to buy are shoes. Some 'people' thought I'd be wasting money buying wedding shoes or even new shoes when no-one will see them under my dress but as I say I'm doing this my way now so I am using some of our budget on shoes.  

We aren't doing things traditionally in certain aspects. Speeches, myself and H2B are doing them. As my dad won't be at the wedding we thought it would look odd just having 1 person make a speech so with that in mind we decided we'd make them. I'll be thanking everyone for coming, giving a brief speech behind the funny circumstances in which our relationship began. We'll also be doing these during the evening. Guests wise, as it's looking unlikely I'll have my family there now we've put on 'open' invitation out to our guests explaining the slight change in plans and saying we'll be getting married at 2:30 on 12th Oct at ......... all welcome to join us, and afterwards at 7pm at ........

So far everyone has been happy with our new plans. Has anyone done anything similar and can give me some pointers? Although I'm personally more relaxed now I still have concerns it's not going to be your typical traditional wedding! 

• Candice9Candice9 Posts: 230

Looking forward to hearing the rest of your plans, and good for you for sticking to your guns. 

All the very best with the planning! x

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 1,738 New bride

This thread title confused me 😂😂

Happy planning....and you should definitely get new shoes if you want to!!

• MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

This thread title confused me 😂😂

Happy planning....and you should definitely get new shoes if you want to!!

Reading the title back I can see why you were confused! I was typing quite quickly, well tha's my excuse anyway!

Thanks ladies :)

• JessieNG94JessieNG94 Posts: 75 New bride

I'm looking forward to follow your thread :)

• Thank you :)

39 days to go... Got a little bargain over the weekend, we're doing our own sweet table for the evening. I scoured the internet for jars/scoops/sweet bags and found some bargains. I looked at the size of the jars (9 in total) and then bought enough sweets from Home Bargains to fill them. Total cost for the sweet table £22.06! I'm happy with that!

I need to chase the last few RSVP's. Our venue has sent a breakdown of costs to us, we're catering for 50 people and have added in a few little extras, taking us a grand total of £5 over budget, again I'm happy with that. 

H2B's got his suit fitting tomorrow, we should hopefully be getting the rings tomorrow, oh and the boys are back to school tomorrow! 

• cs2thecoxcs2thecox Posts: 168 New bride
    Nikki mrs C to be wrote (see post):

Thank you :)

39 days to go... Got a little bargain over the weekend, we're doing our own sweet table for the evening. I scoured the internet for jars/scoops/sweet bags and found some bargains. I looked at the size of the jars (9 in total) and then bought enough sweets from Home Bargains to fill them. Total cost for the sweet table £22.06! I'm happy with that!

I need to chase the last few RSVP's. Our venue has sent a breakdown of costs to us, we're catering for 50 people and have added in a few little extras, taking us a grand total of £5 over budget, again I'm happy with that. 

H2B's got his suit fitting tomorrow, we should hopefully be getting the rings tomorrow, oh and the boys are back to school tomorrow! 

Oooh I'm thinking of doing the sweet table too - that's an amazing bargain! Am totally inspired now! (And planning to nick my mum's Costco card ;)

And well done on sticking to your guns. I'm early stage planning right now, but all my friends keep telling me that's literally the most important thing to do.

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 828 New bride

Your budgeting sounds better than mine! 

Well done for doing the wedding your way(: there’s so much pressure to do things for other people.

• Nikki mrs C to be wrote (see post):

Thank you :)

Any tips on where to look for low budget sweet table stuff? I can't seem to figure out how to do it for less than £100!

• I was quite lucky, when I was looking online I found a lady who lived 10mins from me who was selling all the jars from her daughter's wedding. She had 9 of them which she charged me £10 for. The sweet scoops were 79p in Home Bargains, also from Home Bargains I got big variety packs of sweets (haribos/maoms/marshmallows etc) I added rose gold ribbon to the top of the jars which I already had. Sweet bags I got from Amazon for £1. The table will be already set up at the venue, I'll just add a nice tablecloth and arrange everything. Altogether for everything I've bought, it came to £22.06

• 33 days to go... H2B finally has his suit! Quite simple too, went into Next found the colour to match the pageboy's suits and tried on for size. Bought there and then. Total cost for his suit £169. 

Rings are back and they are perfect. We've both gone for white gold and rose gold to match our colour scheme/engagement ring. The wooden hearts for our favour/gift bags arrived so I'll be personalising these this evening whilst H2B's on a night shift. I find I get more done when's he's at work! 

I commented on another post re-wedding dresses and having last minute doubts, well I've been having these same doubts over mine. I tried my dress on last week and I couldn't quite put my finger on it but something just didn't feel 'right'. Admittedly around the waist, it looks a bit tight. Well we were trying on BM's dresses this afternoon and I saw a lovely wedding dress, and probably wrong thing to do tried it on. It looked and felt right. It didn't feel or look tight around the waist. Now I have even more doubts over my dress... I really am my own worst enemy at times!

• We'll be getting married this time next month!!

It's getting incredibly close now. Everything is about done, few DIY bits to finish but nothing that would take too long. I'm so excited today!!!!! 

Our DIY has taken so long to do- I’d love another month! 

• So lovely to hear you’re doing it your way! It will be perfect x

• ruthie1979 wrote (see post):

So lovely to hear you’re doing it your way! It will be perfect x

Thank you that's really lovely to hear after the comments we've had. :) x

• 25 days to go...

Still trying to chase the last couple RSVP's I've given everyone plenty of notice yet some people still haven't had the decency to let us know one way or another. 

All our decorations are boxed up now ready to go, favour/gift bags made, just need to finish my maids' bags. Our cake maker contacted us to confirm sponge flavours, she's apparently making a start on the cake in the next week! This seems super early to start a cake

I think I'm 'fairly' organised but I can't help thinking I've forgotten something!!... 

You are so organised!

Maybe your cake maker is freezing the sponges? I've seen that as a common thing to do?

• Sian91 wrote (see post):

You are so organised!

Maybe your cake maker is freezing the sponges? I've seen that as a common thing to do?

I didn't know they did that! 

• 8 days to go...!! I can't quite believe it

This time next week I'll be heading to the venue with my bridesmaids & flower girls for a girly night before the wedding morning. So excited right now I could cry!

Starting to get those butterflies/nervous feeling so to stop myself going mad I'm going to pack my over night bag and pack up all the decorations for the venue to set up next Thursday. 

I'm actually getting married next week!!!!

• RoseyGoldRoseyGold Posts: 114 New bride

Just catching up on this thread. Did you get to the bottom of your cake maker starting the cake a couple of weeks ago?

I make cakes myself and would never start sponge until a few days before.....are you having decorations she might be making in advance? I'd never freeze a cake it dries it out.....

Sorry don't want to stress you out.....

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 687 New bride

All the best for you wedding,

• I did question her starting the cake so early, but it was the handmade roses for the middle tier of the cake that she was starting. I had visions of getting a dry stale cake on that day!

• 2 days to go....

Where has the time gone?! 

Yesterday I spent 6 hours doing nails for the 2 bridesmaid/1 of the flower girls & another friend attending the wedding. so today I need to crack on with the packing & finishing touches... oh & do my own nails & then spray tan the 2 bridesmaids!! I feel it’s going to be a long day!