MossMough Wedding

Hi everyone,

I’m Jess, I’m 34 and I live in Manchester with my H2B. We’re getting married on 16th March 2019.  I plan events for work, so I’m trying to get as much of my planning done as early as poss, so that I can enjoy the run up to the wedding with as little stress as possible (wishful thinking eh?!). 

As I’ve quite far on my planning, I thought I‘d do a new post for each area of the wedding - I hope you enjoy reading thread as much as I’ve enjoyed reading others!image

• HOW WE MET

After a few close encounters, including both working for the same small company at the same time when I was 18, we didn’t officially meet one another until December 2011, one drunken Boxing Day. 

Both out with our friends, my friends knew his friends, we met, we danced and our Christmas Romance began.

Did I mention being drunk? 😂  (red dress)

• THE PROPOSAL

NYE 2017 and we had plans to spend the night with my cousin and her husband and kids at their house, eating nice food and drinking nice wine, but my other half thought he had strep throat, so it was off to the Walk-in clinic to see if he needed antibiotics. Luckily he didn’t. 

It was about 7pm before we got out, so we decided to just grab a Sainsbury Thai Box Meal and spend the night at home.  We threw on some fancy clothes and enjoyed our Sainsbury’s meal by candlelight. We watched Jools Holland and saw the new year in with champagne and party poppers - still no ring.

Then, as it got closer to 1am, my H2B disappeared upstairs (I thought he had popped to the loo), when he came down stairs, he got down on one knee in the living room and with 2 minutes left of the first hour of 2018, he asked me to marry him.  It was wonderful, I cried like a baby!

• Candice9Candice9 Posts: 230

Yay new thread. Congratulations- that ring is gorgeous!

• Candice9 wrote (see post):

Yay new thread. Congratulations- that ring is gorgeous!

Thank you Candice! He knew I definitely wanted an emerald and I had shown him the different kind of settings you can get, but in the end he had the ring custom made. I actually thought that he had given up on finding one haha.

• Beautiful ring, I love emeralds. Looking forward to reading your thread! 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • GinAndBling wrote (see post):

Beautiful ring, I love emeralds. Looking forward to reading your thread! 

Thank you :-)

• The Engagement Party

So, we got engaged at roughly 00:58 on 1st January 2018 and by 7pm that evening we were booking our engagement party.  We chose a venue that was in between the majority of our friends and family, good size function room, stage and bar, and good prices behind the bar!  It was British Legion pub and worked great!

We booked for the end of January, so we had around 3 weeks to do the planning.  A friend of ours recommended an amazing caterer, so the food was pie, mash, mushy peas and gravy - it went down a treat with everyone.  Then I got a couple of shop bought cakes (which were hardly touched) and my MofH and a friend of the family made us a couple of amazing cakes, which everyone loved too!

We had a DJ, one of S's friends who DJ's around the local bars in Warrington, so we knew he would do a great job.  And we also arranged for a few of our friends to perform some live music for us, which was a really nice touch.

Decoration wise, I bought a load of gold inflatable letters and strung together a few different words to hang around the room:

We're Engaged

We've Only Just Begun

Pie Time

Cake

She Said Yes

Hooray

We also put a few photos of us around the room, made a fan photo backdrop and put candle bottles on all of the tables (we've saved the bottles, as we're doing the same for the wedding).

It was an amazing night, we had a great turnout and were completely overwhelmed by the amount of cards, gifts, bottles and money we received from everyone!

• Aw yay i love a new thread! Cant wait to see it all x

• CoffeeDogAddict wrote (see post):

Aw yay i love a new thread! Cant wait to see it all x

Thanks CoffeeDog!  It didn't take me long to get it started.  I'm hoping to update a couple of items a day, as I've done the majority of my planning now, don't want to bombard people with everything all at once, it will be too much to read haha. x 

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,119 New bride

Ahh congrats! Lovely ring and what a fun engagement party! Looking forward to hearing more about your plans!

• Ashley72 wrote (see post):

Ahh congrats! Lovely ring and what a fun engagement party! Looking forward to hearing more about your plans!

Thank you Ashley, I couldn't be happier with the ring and the engagement party really was a blast - left everyone with high hopes for the wedding though, so we've got to make sure we deliver.

• BRACES

You may have noticed that I’m wearing braces on a couple of my photos. I actually had them fitted before we got engaged so it wasn’t purposely to get that perfect wedding smile, but worked out quite well.

It was hard work and expensive, but it’s something I’ve wanted doing since I was a teenager (although the orthodontist turned me away twice).  A lot of people where shocked that I chose the have braces as they never knew I had bad teeth - that’s because I used to always hide my bottom teeth and cringe if they were ever caught on camera.

Anyway, just 10 months later and they’re OFF! So happy! The results are perfect. I now have a fixed retainer on the bottom teeth and nightly retainers for the top and bottom to stop them from moving back. I’m now doing the teeth whitening at home (approved and provided by the dentist though).

P.S. how are you all liking the photos with every post? I’m like a child, I love to see the things I’m reading about :-) 

• Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 290 New bride

Yay a new thread! Congratulations and can't wait to read more :)

• Excited to read more about your planning! Love your engagement story, just like ours... just the two of us at home! x

• THE DRESS

When I got engaged, my MofH had already been engaged for over a year but hadn’t been dress shopping so straight away we booked to visit a local Bridal Store together.  As soon as we walked in there was a rack of dresses, I could only see a bit of the material but I instantly said “I need to try this on”. I selected another 2 dresses and MofH picked 2 for herself. Just as I thought the first dress I selected was a show stopper - one of the bridal consultants even said that I looked like Jessica Rabbit, which is one of my nicknames, so I loved that. The dress was more than I expected £1890, and I thought “surely I can find this cheaper?!” (I couldn’t, without compromising). 

The store told me they had an offer weekend coming up in February for that designer, so I’d be able to get 10% off then.  I booked an appointment for that weekend and spent the next 6 weeks trying on as many dresses as possible.  I visited about 4 other stores and tried on 30 dresses, at the end of February I went back to the first store, Bethany Hannah Bridal in Stockton Heath. I picked out the favourite dress, asked my sister to pick a dress and asked the consultant to pick a dress.

I tried them all on, leaving my pick until last, although the others were very nice, even my sister who has very different taste to me said the original dress was the clear winner! I was so pleased, and they offered to add the additional covered buttons for free.

I‘m not going to post a picture of my actual dress as I have a few friends who are planning weddings and wouldn’t want people to see it before the day.....but here are some of the contestants......

• MrsA-NToBe wrote (see post):

Excited to read more about your planning! Love your engagement story, just like ours... just the two of us at home! x

Thanks MrsA, I was so glad that it was at home, I think I would have felt very self concious if he did it in public (unless it was with our friends and family, rather than strangers) x 

• Cecilia13 wrote (see post):

Yay a new thread! Congratulations and can't wait to read more :)

Thanks Cecilia....I’m off to have a nosey at your thread now :-) 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 1,738 New bride

Congrats, all looks lovely! That first dress looks amazing on you - well they all do but that one really accentuates your amazing figure!

• Zara29Zara29 Posts: 105

I'm late to the thread, but your teeth look amaaaazing! Well done for persevering with them.

• BODY GOALS

I was pleasantly surprised that I felt absolutely amazing when I picked my wedding dress! The sample size 14 fit me almost perfectly and I didn’t look in the mirror and think “urgh” (which I have in the past).

Well, that was January and after letting my younger sister use my bathroom scales, I didn’t see them again for about 8 months, so 3 festivals later, summer drinking and no keeping track of the scales and I put on 10lbs. No biggie, just not where I want to be.

Last September, H2B and I went to Portugal with my MofH, her fiancé and her family (as her MofH it was only right I went along to check out her potential wedding venues with them). Anyway, I was 10st 8lbs and felt great (see pic), so instead of wanting to be some crazy weight that isn’t natural for me, I’m using myself as my body inspiration.

I’ve already lost 5lbs just by not eating everything insight - but after having my braces off, I’m allowing a week of eating whatever I want and then I’ll be sensible again. 

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 828 New bride

I kept saying I was going to lose weight for the wedding, but I never really got round to it/stuck to it- I got married 10lb heavier than when we got engaged. I felt absolutely fantastic because I was so blooming happy- hell I didn't check my make up the whole day, in fact I don't even know where it was. 

Your teeth look fab, I've been contemplating adult braces

• I love your ring! I'm addicted to jewellry and I'm completely jel. 

Your teeth look amazing!! Good for you for going through with the time, pain, funds, sacrifices, etc., to get to the end.

I don't get the wedding diet at all. It's actually a topic I bang on about on this forum. If my SO loved me enough to stay with me thus far and enough to propose, why do we then suddenly in the midst of wedding planning decide he/she wants us to look different (be thinner)??  You look gorgeous in that bathing suit pic, and there's nothing more exposed really than that. I wouldn't change a thing.  

• Sian91 wrote (see post):

I kept saying I was going to lose weight for the wedding, but I never really got round to it/stuck to it- I got married 10lb heavier than when we got engaged. I felt absolutely fantastic because I was so blooming happy- hell I didn't check my make up the whole day, in fact I don't even know where it was. 

I had a look at your thread last night, your wedding looked amazing!

I really wish I would have gotten braces earlier, I would definitely recommend it.  My MofH got braces after me, but she's gone for the ceramic ones, you can hardly see them.

• KittyFiennes wrote (see post):

I love your ring! I'm addicted to jewellry and I'm completely jel. 

Your teeth look amazing!! Good for you for going through with the time, pain, funds, sacrifices, etc., to get to the end.

I don't get the wedding diet at all. It's actually a topic I bang on about on this forum. If my SO loved me enough to stay with me thus far and enough to propose, why do we then suddenly in the midst of wedding planning decide he/she wants us to look different (be thinner)??  You look gorgeous in that bathing suit pic, and there's nothing more exposed really than that. I wouldn't change a thing.  

Aw thank you Kitty!  I always remember my ex's mum showing me a picture from her wedding day, she was about a size 8 when she got married and thought she was fat.  She then spent years of crash dieting and I've now always known her as being around a size 20.  It always made me think that I wouldn't try to be something I'm not naturally on my wedding day, as I'd probably then spend the rest of my life struggling to maintain / achieve that.

• MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

Congrats, all looks lovely! That first dress looks amazing on you - well they all do but that one really accentuates your amazing figure!

Thank you MrsC, that's so nice to say :-)  the dress I've chosen is a similar silhouette to the first one, but with much more detail and sleeves.  I did think I'd go for more of a boho look, but I just didn't get the same feeling as I did in my dress.  

• Zara29 wrote (see post):

I'm late to the thread, but your teeth look amaaaazing! Well done for persevering with them.

Thank you Zara, it was hard work, but totally worth it, the pain is now a distant memory

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 828 New bride
    Jessica Whatmough wrote (see post):
    Sian91 wrote (see post):

I had a look at your thread last night, your wedding looked amazing!

I really wish I would have gotten braces earlier, I would definitely recommend it.  My MofH got braces after me, but she's gone for the ceramic ones, you can hardly see them.

Thank you! I'll do a report when I have some more photos. I think the wedding blues will set in when that's done. Ah glad it was worth it! I think it's easier as more and more adults are having braces, so it's more normal?

• JO MALONE “SCENT MY WEDDING”

Yesterday I went to my “Scent My Wedding” appointment with my MofH, at the Jo Malone counter in Selfridges in The Trafford Centre.......if you’ve not already booked one, do it!

Upon arrival we each got a glass of prosecco and a little velvet pouch for us to place our jewellery in, which we also got to keep! The consultant was amazing, she asked me all about my wedding venue, the time of year, scents I like and then picked out 6 scents for us to try. There were two that I particularly liked, Mimosa and Cardadom and Velvet Rose & Oud. I then got a hand treatment using the wash and creme in Mimosa and Cardadom and the fragrance in Velvet Rose & Oud. It smelt delightful! 

We also spoke about the open fires at the wedding venue and the consultant recommended a candle in Incense & Embers - it smelt exactly like the venue - what a perfect wedding gift it would make from someone, each time we light it, it will bring back memories of the day.

The same process was also done for my MofH, who is getting married a couple of months after me.

At the end, there was no mention of buying anything, the consultant said she would add our chosen fragrances to our online profiles, so if anyone wanted to purchase them for us, they could go in store and purchase the right scents.

We then followed the appointment up with a couple of cocktails, it was a lovely afternoon.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,119 New bride

Ooh sounds fab, I think I’m definitely going to book one of these before Christma!

• My bridesmai and I are doing this on Sunday, glad it was fun! Love your thread so far 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial!