Forum home Weddings abroad

Please guide me to getting married in Cyprus?!

This is my first night on this so apologies for babbling on! he he. And is that the time!!!

We are really wanting to get married abroad, wedding planner, Aphrodite and god knows a travel agent for accom and flights. Not sure what one to book first?!?! I would like to get married in 2011, but feels like it'll never happen at this rate. It seems quite worrying and poss a little stressful arranging a wedding in Cyprus/Abroad. But I am a worrier which doesnt help!! I am not sure who to book first or even where in Cyprus i should get married. I am on a budget so have to go careful. Your assistance/guidance would be much appreciated :\)

• HuniibumpHuniibump Posts: 3,913 New bride
    Contact Aphrodite first, they are so helpful and can calm you down for a start! image then you can have a look at packages and prices and decide on a venue. Just tell them the budget your working with and they can help you find the perfect place. I opted for Ayios Elias gardens as there is no fee for using the gardens and it is just gorgeous!! (my avatar) .Once your date is confirmed, then see about flights and accomodation.

I've booked with Aphrodite for 2012 and it feels ages away but hopefully it'll fly in, if you want to ask me anything just email me using the button at the bottom of this reply and I'll try and help!

Good luck and don't panic, the deciding is the fun part! x
  • Hi Mrs D to be,

I have just spent ages writing a huge msg back to you but it got lost when it was sent! grrrrr, this site is bad for that!

Anyway, I know what you mean about the planning! We're just back from Cyprus having planned our wedding ourselves. (Much cheaper by the way than going through a travel agent as you sometimes have to stay a minimum number of nights in the hotel before you can have ceremony there!)

I would suggest, if you can, to head out to Cyprus around the time of your wedding (a year previous obvously) so you can get a good idea of the weather and look at some venues because some pics do not do them justice. Then you can work from there, it was actually the lady who's making our cake that got the ball rolling for us and sent us in the right direction.

If you're planning a hotel wedding, make sure and check the package terms (we looked at a couple, decided they were it and then realised you had to stay a min. of 5 or 7 nights before you could have the ceremony and they're rooms were unbelievably expensive!)

Anyway, we found our dream venue - Coral Beach Resort, absoultely beautiful and really easy to work with.

Also forgot to say, one of the hotels we looked at offered a package that included ceremony, reception, flowers, plain cake, photgraphy for just over 10,000 euro which I thought was ok but I decided to independently plan it as it wasnt completely the way I wanted it. My wedding is now costing just over 3000 euro with all the same and even better. I will say its stressful to plan it yourself but totally worth it!

Best of luck with it, hope all goes well. xx
  • Jess83ukJess83uk Posts: 402
    Hi

I too am getting married in Cyprus in 2011 and have planned the whole thing without a wedding planner.

If you do lots of research and get lots of quotes for different venues and suppliers it really isn't difficult at all.

If you are set on using a wedding planner then the process should really be very simple.

My personal experience was first to check out loads of different venues on the internet. Ask for advice on this site for popular venues and check them out. Then when you spot a few that you like the look of contact them all for quotes and the packages they offer, and any photographs they can send you, then you can start to make comparissons before deciding on which venue you want to go ahead with.

Once that's sorted you can do the same thing with any other suppliers which are not already included in your package.

I have sorted out photographer, hair, make-up, florist and cup-cake maker all by myself and it is really easy if you just follow the same rule.

Look at loads of different suppliers on the internet and ones that are reccommended on this site, then check them all out and get quotes etc so you can compare and then book your chosen one.

As for flights, the 2011 flights have not been released yet. I think the flight up to April 2011 are due to be released soon but I am getting married June 2011 and those flights won't be released untill next year so you don't have to worry about that just yet.

Personally I'd say first of all look at venues.

Or if your absolutely dead set on using a wedding planner then perhaps contact them first as they will be able to reccommend venues.

Personally though you can save yourself some money if you do it yourself and it really is very strait forward.

Feel free to e-mail me for any info or reccommendations.
  • camillarose1camillarose1 Posts: 6,254
    Hiya hun,

I am getting married in Paphos next June and cannot wait. I too worry but withthe assistance of a wedding planner I assure you that everything will be fine. Look into planers first to make sure that you are totally happy with what service they provide for you. Some sell packages whilst some ask for a fee first off as initial consultations take place then go from there.

I am with Paphos Prestige and I can't fault them to be honest. They are very reliable and loads of ladies on here have used or are using them. Ruth and Chris work wonders and my future in-laws met them a couple of weeks ago as they went out to Cyprus for us to visit our recpetion venue.

Anyway, I digress, try to book your hotel or wherever you want to stay direct. Then your flights. If a package is what you want then go ahead but sometimes it does work out cheaper and easier the other way. I used to be a travel agent and I have booked mine all myself independantly.

Also, with a planner just to go back to that, they assist you with all the legalities and paperwork which is a huge weight to be lifted for a bride. Most will take you once you arrive to the town hall or whereveer you need to go to sign docs etc.

Planners can recommend suppliers or you can look for stuff like flowers etc yourself.

I am taking my flowers with me, real touch ones for my bouquet and my 3 bm's and poss buttonholes. Just ordered them this week eeek!

The thing I like about my planner is that although she may recommend suppliers she doesn't make you feel you have to book them or go with what she says.

I've got a few contacts for many things so feel free to ask any q's hun xxx
  • Thanks for coming back to me!!!! its so nice receiving help and advice!!! I don't feel so alone :\)

I think I will use Aphrodite still and discuss with them the requirements that I am looking for etc. I really need to read the emails properly etc, they require euros for deposits etc don't they? how does that work (have I just made myself sound really dence?!image) Who are people using for flights etc? I think I worry that by doing everything direct and on my own, i'll get out there and nothing will be booked! eeek now do you see how much of a worrier I am he he.

Also I was looking at The Golden coast in protaras as it is all inc hotel and I have 2 young children and a few children flying out too!!

Thanks for all your help in answering my outrageously silly questions! image
  • Hiya, I'm another aphrodite bride to be!

Everyone has the same worries as you have!

For the euros bit, you just go into your bank and its really easy. For aphrodite I did that for the deposit and then cos our receptionis though a yacht company I had to pay a deposit to them and that was just done over the phone.

We booked with aphrodite in oct 2008 and then had a very long wait to book our holiday part which is for june 2010 and we ust booked a package through first choice.

I have booked a photographer on my own though and its nice to feel like you are doing things yourself.

If you want any more info give me a shout!!

xx
  • thank you so much for your info thats another box ticked, we have been into First choice and they were so helpful compared to Thomsons etc. Not sure what hotel etc yet, still doing homework as they say. I can easily say that I am no where near as worried/nervous as i was when i 1st put my msg on here!! thank u very much ladies. Sarah I think I maybe emailing you again as soon as the questions pop into my head lol xx
  • camillarose1camillarose1 Posts: 6,254
    Hiya, Im with natwest and they were really helpful when went to pay my deposit for planner. They charged £10 fee to do so which is cheaper than most banks and it was with them within 3 days.

I booked my flights with BA but purely coz Dad works for them and got 2 weeks for £92 all in. If your flying to Paphos and want scheduled flights use them or for charters use any of the main tour ops. If it's Larnaca as you said you may want Protarus now then Cyprus Airways fly there scheduled or again the charter comps.

xx
  • Quoted:
    This is my first night on this so apologies for babbling on! he he. And is that the time!!!

We are really wanting to get married abroad, wedding planner, Aphrodite and god knows a travel agent for accom and flights. Not sure what one to book first?!?! I would like to get married in 2011, but feels like it'll never happen at this rate. It seems quite worrying and poss a little stressful arranging a wedding in Cyprus/Abroad. But I am a worrier which doesnt help!! I am not sure who to book first or even where in Cyprus i should get married. I am on a budget so have to go careful. Your assistance/guidance would be much appreciated :\)

hi, yes you will be nervous all brides are marrying in a foreign country etc. you have to really visit the country before you decide properly, what would be horrible for your wedding on flying out here and not knowing the country at all. Cyprus is one of the most popular resorts for weddings. you mention golden coast please be advised this hotel is in the middle of no where. you say you have two children then i would strongly advise you be in the main area of Protaras where there is loads of things to occupy the children on a night. please feel free to email me should you require further information.