Forum home Emotional support

Fostering

Hello everyone me and my partner are off too a fostering evening on 27th just got some details through post so nervous about it or more of been denied i think.

Me and my partner are both female so this means a lot to succeed as this could be the only oppurtunity of been able to have children.

Does anyone have any words of advice or have experience of becoming a foster parent?

Thanks in advance

Helena & Amanda

• drkd3m0ndrkd3m0n Posts: 811 New bride
    I'm not sure I have much advice, but just wanted to say what a wonderful couple you are. I was fostered for 10 years of my childhood, and cannot express how grateful I am to my foster parents. They could never replace my birth parents, but I owe them so much.

I think you are doing a wonderful job - and I hope you get the results you want. xx

I'd say just be yourselves, show the love and care that you could give to troubled children and I am sure that you will do fine xx
  • My best friend is going through the training and application process now. Her parents were foster carers so she was always around foster children. I think its fantastic and would consider this in the future. Just allow yourself to think of some of the things children have been through before they come to you and whether you can deal with their issues. I know you get regular training and counselling but it is only truly caring, understanding and patient people who can be a good foster carer. Do you have any prefences of age, sex, siblings, etc?
  • I think its great and good luck to you both.

A women I worked with her daughter and soon to be wife they foster but they are relief foster careers for a child with learning difficulties and they really enjoy it.

Hope it all goes ok

• mrshelen74mrshelen74 Posts: 9,282
    well done to you both, this world is so short of foster carers. I workwith a lot of kids that arelooked after and the change in them can be lovely
  • MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,355 New bride

No experience to share but I really hope it works for you. Foster parents do such an important job. My friend and his husband recently adopted a little girl who had spent the first 14 months of her life in foster care. She was so lucky to have such a wonderful foster mum who has really helped all of them in becoming a family.