Forum home The wedding budget

Brides with a venue under £5,000

Any brides out there with a venue under £5,000? If so, please could you tell me how you are doing it?! We have looked at hotels, country houses, marquees in fields and we just cannot get it below £5,000. I wouldn't say I'm a venue snob but I don't want a registry office or a church - that is my only limit. If I could get some sort of country house look I would be over the moon but quite frankly I'm easy!

However, I don't think I can stand one more person telling me to have it in my back garden. Niether I nor anyone I know has a large back garden and we want to do it in Winter! Also, haggling hasn't been successful either!

HELP!

xx

• Depends how many people it's for, surely? At my venue, the standard package (for 40 day guests and an extra 40 in the evening) is well under £5,000 (more like £3k), but for the numbers we're having (120 plus another 50 in the evening), it's more than £5k (nearly £7k). It's a country house where you can have the ceremony and the reception and evening.
  • JoeyClareJoeyClare Posts: 2,737
    I have two venues. The first is my ceremony venue with £1000 hire and approx £400 in registrars fees. It's a big stately manor with an Orangery and this is where the ceremony takes place.

My reception venue is a hotel and it's costing £3250 for 100 guests. The reason why the cost is low is because we are having buffet and selection of sweets only. I'm basically saving about 3/4k by not having a sit down meal. I know for a lot of people, the sit down meal is an important part of the day, but me and H2B weren't fussed and we'd have had to wait another year to save for it.

So my venues come in at less than 5k, but there was a compromise.
  • I am not on my laptop and cannot find the website *grr* but have you looked into local barns or museums or posh bistro pubs with character etc
  • robyns86robyns86 Posts: 73
    I agree with bumbling bee totally depends on your numbers! My venue is doing packages which is saving us loads x
  • We also have two venues, the ceremony venue hire is costing £900 (and we are getting married in a castle!) our registry fees are £300 and our reception is costing us roughly £2500 and thats for 60 people for a meal, 80 people for a buffet!

I dont think you are a venue snob, i didnt want a registry office either, yet wanted a reasonably priced venue that was still breathtaking! Its not asking for too much because ive found it!

Thenextmrsc, where abouts are you?x
  • RRrr2011RRrr2011 Posts: 1,262
    Depends where in the country you are too. My venue was brilliant. we were on a budget so couldn't afford the country house we wanted. got married at rd hall in bury. coat us £2900 for 70day guests and 120evening guests. had the most expensive drinks package too. oh, we had 6 children too on top of those numbers.

we got married in church so the ceremony bit would cost mire but it is easily double. we spent £7.5k on our whole wedding
  • NowMrsWoodNowMrsWood Posts: 438
    I am getting married at Tithe Barn Petersfield and it is costing us £3000 because we are getting married on a thursday, if we wanted weekend it would be £5000, so maybe look into having it on a weekday - thats the only way we could afford our dream venue. image
  • minkymoolouminkymoolou Posts: 924
    Also getting married on a Thursday (in Dec too!) As this was only way we could afford dream venue.

We're getting ceremony and reception room hire, 4 course wedding breakfast for 25 and 4 kids, wine and soft drinks for meal, and evening buffet for 50 for £1995 (also includes chair covers and other bits) this is in a 4* hotel, forming part of a country estate in west Sussex.

So it can be done, but it really will depend on your numbers, as ours are pretty low (we will definitely need to up them) apart from that haggle, haggle, haggle!
  • thenextmrscthenextmrsc Posts: 409
    Thanks guys this is great. I put a thread on asking ppl in the South West for recommendations also - i'm from Cornwall and weddings are big down here (people travel here to marry!) But that means it can get expensive. I am looking at 60 day then 80-100 evening so not particularly big numbers. I will look into barns.

We thought we could save money with a marquee somewhere but even the site fees are pretty high.

xx
  • minkymoolouminkymoolou Posts: 924
    Also getting married on a Thursday (in Dec too!) As this was only way we could afford dream venue.

We're getting ceremony and reception room hire, 4 course wedding breakfast for 25 and 4 kids, wine and soft drinks for meal, and evening buffet for 50 for £1995 (also includes chair covers and other bits) this is in a 4* hotel, forming part of a country estate in west Sussex.

So it can be done, but it really will depend on your numbers, as ours are pretty low (we will definitely need to up them) apart from that haggle, haggle, haggle!
  • Chris_GilesChris_Giles Posts: 609
    I know Wakehurst Place in Ardingly, part of the Kew Millenium Seedbank is in the £2500+ mark and under 5k.

Lady you need to speak to is Katie Radcliffe. She's the wedding co-ordinator there.
  • Where in Cornwall are you?

There are plenty of Hotels in Plymouth that have wedding packages for under 5k.

I'm getting married on a Friday and my hotel is costing £3,000 that includes the ceremony, sitdown meal and buffet.... and alot more.

And there are a few around here around the same price.
  • We're in a manor house hotel. The room hire for the ceremony is £250. There will be a drinks reception before the ceremony (bucks fizz). We're having a 3 course meal for 46 people and then a buffet for about 120 (catering for 90). The room hire for these is free. We're providing our own wine and paying corkage (£10 for wine, £15 for sparkling). Of course the DJ and venue dresser are separate.

The total cost to our venue is around £3500.
  • We're using a place in Suffolk, ceremony room £275 + registrar fees, Marquee with dancefloor, stage, bar, kitchen, table, chaire etc £1195 for 60 people, extra £2 per head for evening guests.

Even with catering it's still way under £5k....my total budget is only £7.5!!! image
  • misstriffymisstriffy Posts: 339
    We've got a beautiful converted barn attached to an old country pub and its costing us under £3.5k - including food, drink and two nights accomodation for me and H2B.
  • I am getting married in a registry office but the building is an old manor house (archbishops Palace, maidstone) which is only costing us £370, then our reception in at a golf club and all in for sit down meal, buffet and hire costs it is £1400. So we have done our whole wedding for about £5k. Sounds like we have scrimped on stuff but we haven't, I have my dream dress and dream venue so couldnt be happier xx
  • LMJ08LMJ08 Posts: 8
    There's a link here to a venue in Surrey who will do a full wedding for up to 40 people for £2k which might be ok?

http://www.luxurybudgetweddings.com/#/blog/4551349986
  • We're getting married in a converted windmill on a Saturday in December in North Lincs.

Having the ceremony there, 65 for 4 course sit down, and 100 for hot buffet at night. Inclusive of room hire, bridal suite, dj and corkage charges it is coming in at £2.5k xxxx
    looks like we have to go up north to get the deals image
  • Hi thenextmrsc, did you look on the venues suggested in your other post?

Was nothing there any good?

Lizzy x
  • RowenaFWRowenaFW Posts: 2,078
    Town halls.

National Trust.
  • Try the YHA as well - there are a few really nice old stately home type ones that do weddings. The ones I know about are in Derbyshire, but if you look on their website you'll be able to see if there are any near you.
    Hi Lizzy,

(embarrassed) haven't looked at it yet but plan to tonight! Bib Bumbling Bee - what is the YHA? Sorry to be clueless!

xx
  • Youth Hostel Association. But don't be put off by the name, they're for everyone and I think a lot of them will pretty much let you take over the place for the weekend, so you get pretty reasonable accommodation as well. There will be some dorms, most likely, but they also have double and family rooms, so there should be something to suit everyone and standards tend to be pretty good.
  • purpletulippurpletulip Posts: 679 New bride
    When I started planning my wedding I didn't even know packages existed & was quite surprised at the prices & found them quite reasonable, as all you here is the average wedding cost is about £20-£25k. I didn't have a package for my wedding but my venue (a country house hotel in a very affluent area of cheshire with a fantastic reputation for weddings) offers a civil ceremony, 60 day guests a sit down meal with 2 glasses of wine, sparkling wine for the toast, evening buffet for 80 guests. A cake, flowers, photographer & a DJ for the bargian price of £4500. Apart from buying the dress I think they've got everything covered!
  • Chris_GilesChris_Giles Posts: 609
    My back garden for £50?

Getting a license to marry there shouldn't be a problem...I mean how hard can it be? image
    thanks bumbling bee - will look into it! OMG purple tulip that sounds incredible!

xx
  • lol thenextmrsc, you may have a busy evening looking at all these and other post's suggestions! Good luck image Lizzy x
  • mojojobiemojojobie Posts: 733
    We're getting married at Parley Manor near bmth airport

It's a mid week package includes catering,dj,venue decs,etc..

£4,790.00 2012 midweek wedding, can't wait is sucha lovely venue!!
  • natandbennatandben Posts: 128
    We're getting married at Carlyon Bay in St Austell, sit down meal for 65 and evening buffet for 100 for just under £4.000 which includes honeymoon suite for us and a cheesy disco in the evening! We're getting married in a church first but i can't imagine it would cost more than £1000 for the actual ceremony there. Guess it depends on drinks package, menu etc. If your around mid Cornwall how about Lanhydrock house or Trerice - both lovely National Trust properties with massive areas for marquees. Also St Mawes castle is beautiful. Taste Cornwall have excellent reviews at events catering too. Hope this helps in some way x