Forum home You & Your Baby

Pureeing tips - thought I would share it

For all you busy mummies out there thought I would share this with you which I found very useful and economical and hygienic!

I have started to puree fruit and veg for my son and everyone says to use an ice tray. I decided to use the ice bags instead. That way you can write on the plastic what it is, when you made and will not interfere with your other frozen food. All you need to get is a decent funnel so it pours easily into the bag. Both items are cheap to buy.

Anyway thought I would share it as I know it will certainly help me and we have a small freezer.

• NowMrsMNowMrsM Posts: 536
    Hi Maria! That's great- I was wondering how I was going to store all the different varieties of puree in the freezer- other than buying tons of those tiny pots I told you about before. Is it the ice cube bags you're using?

A few questions- is it easy to squoosh it all in? Noah has been having his puree quite thick so it doesn't really pour... Also how much do you need to fill one bag? (like 3 apples or pears etc?)

Thanks!

Becca xx
  • waited82waited82 Posts: 399
    Thanks for the tip. My lo is 6 1/2 months now and have just started to introduce meat and dairy. Shes on 3 meals a day so all going well so far. I have lots of brother max pots and make up batches. Once frozen over night i pop out and put in a food bag in the freezer so i can reuse the pots for the next batch. Havn't tried the ice cube bags but may give it a go!

on another note, does anyone have any tips on getting beef mince puree really smooth? pureed some left over bolognaise yesterday but i just can not get it smooth in my blender which results in lo spitting the lumps out although she enjoys the taste lol
    I didn't think about just taking it out of the little pots that I've got... Duh!image

Noah's still too little for meat but from a professional perspective (I work as a dietitian in artificial feeding and a lot of my patients have pureed food!) mince is incredibly difficult to puree smoothly as it shrivels when you cook it.... The best way to do it is actually to use mince that is high in fat as it usually stays a bit softer when it's cooked... But it may be she just needs to get used to the lumps!

Yeah we always use lean mince which may be why its not pureeing well! they recommend to introduce lumps at 7 months so may just stick with it i guess and she'll have to get used to it eventually lol!

It took me a month to figure out i could just empty the pots into bags once frozen after moaning i didn't have enough pots lol i just blame baby brain!

now there in bags i can see when each bag is getting low so i know what to order on the next weeks shopping. I think at the mo she has bags of chicken + tomato, bolognaise, carrot, peas, parsnip, sweet potato, apple + pear and strawberry + blueberry. Think next week im gonna make up some cawliflower cheese.

Although its time consuming making all purees for her i love doing it lol!
    Also don't know its its useful to anyone but i ran out of veg before getting organised at the start and realised that i had some of the microwave steam veg bags in the freezer. 2 mins in the microwave, blend and you have a 3 veg puree! so quick and easy so we always make sure we have packs of them in the freezer now. Each pack makes about 4 ice cubes!
  • poppet12poppet12 Posts: 357
    ice cube bags prob good for fruit and veg. I used 4 pears and it filled a whole ice cube bag. The funnel is what will make it easy to pour through. I did them today without one so need to buy a funnel but I just shock the bag and squeezed it down which did the trick.

They did not have the tiny pots you mentioned at the store which is why I resorted to this but am sure as he grows and I start to introduce different types of food I will need them.

I have an electronic hand blender which really makes it quick and easy. I steam my fruit/veg where I can otherwise just boil them.
  • poppet12poppet12 Posts: 357
    NowMrsM - if Noah likes his puree a little thicker than normal just use a bigger funnel. I got mine from Wilkinson - 3 sizes for £1. Apple I found you probably need a bigger funnel unlike the pear it is not as smooth.

I am actually enjoying doing this and cannot wait until the next mass production of puree. Annabel Karmel has made a good suggestion of mixing the baby rice with a pre-pared fruit so will try that in the next few days. So far my hungry son seems to like the baby rice despite it being so bland image
    I thought Noah loved baby rice until I saw him eat fruit and veg! We're up to baby rice, apple, pear, parsnip, banana, sweet potato and carrot and there isn't anything yet he won't eat image

Love doing it too! I always said I was going to try a jar or two just in case we needed to use them but now I'm not so sure as doing my own is so easy! (and a bit more wholesome!) xx