Forum home You & Your Baby

scan appointment question

mubeemubee Posts: 1,039
Hi all

I've just received a letter from the hospital for a 'combined screening and dating ultrasound' appointment for 15 August. I think I will be 12 weeks then. The only previous appointment was with my GP when I found out I was pregnant and that was quite quick, a few questions, my blood pressure, but no other tests.

Could someone tell me what that will involve? From is the screening and waht the dating ultrasound? will I see the baby and will then do a nuchal test etc?

From reading on the forum, many of you have had an appointment where they ask lots of questions, take blood and protein tests etc...will I be getting that at the screening and does anyone else have experience of this?

Thanks

• NowMrsMNowMrsM Posts: 536
    From it's title it sounds like it's just the ultrasound. At mine (at 12 1/2 weeks) they did my weight and blood pressure, did the ultrasound to see the baby and check the dates and did the nucal measurement. They also gave me a blood form to get the blood test done which goes with the nucal measurement (they do the combined test as standard where I live)

But I also saw the midwife at 9 weeks for the booking appointment, which is where they ask all the questions, do your iron levels, and other blood screening. And that was at my GP surgery, not at the hospital.

It might be worth ringing the hospital and seeing if you can speak to the midwives dept to ask what their protocol is- there is usually a community midwives office where you won't be distrupting anyone assisting with deliveries. Or maybe look at your local hospitals website- there may be some information on there?

It always surprises me how different different areas are! X
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    This sounds like the ultrasound I have booked on 21 July. I did have another meeting with midwife at my surgery there is one there each Wednesday, she just did blood pressure initially and filled in lots of health questions. because I couldn't fit in bloods with her in the next few weeks she then did them as well.

at this screening you will see the baby and they will do nuchal test if you want it, though I did have to say was happy for this. As Now MrsM says it is worth contacting the community midwives to see when your booking in appointment should be
  • mubeemubee Posts: 1,039
    Ok - I'm at home tomorrow and will them a call and see what they say about the booking appointment. Thanks!
  • mubeemubee Posts: 1,039
    I couldn't wait till tomorrow, so I called the hospital a few minutes ago. They said they send me a letter for the booking appointment yesterday so I should get it soon. It is booked for 19 July and will take 1 hour. So now I am relieved that I have both dates in, just like what you girls are all having. Thanks again. not too long to wait now.
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    No worries, there is NHS info on all of the screening tests and what happens when. I read through this before my booking appointment so was happy for the midwife to take my bloods for everything as knew what it was all for.

Glad you have the other appointment sorted.