Should i bustle my wedding dress?

I was hoping for some advice from you lovely married ladies. Should i bustle my wedding dress? Its quite big with a good train on it. It's benjamin Roberts 2o58a

Im having a disco at night and a good old party. Should i bustle it? My dress is now at home as the place couldn't store it, it needs no other alterations. I have a number for a seamstress who they recommend to bustle it. How much does this cost?

Would appreciate advice from people who didn't have it bustled and a long train, did it get in the way?

Thank you xxx

• nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    does it not already have a little button or hook somewhere within the skirt? bustling is just where you hook it up later in the evening most people do not a permanent thing
  • NowMrsB2012NowMrsB2012 Posts: 4,835
    I bustled mine in the evening for the dancing. It had a little hook and button on it. I would really recommend this coz even with the bustling it still got in people's way and some nearly slipped on it! I would hate to think how many would have fallen over if it wasn't bustled
  • There is nothing in it to pin it up or anything as i asked in them in the shop which when you spend so much on a dress i hoped their was. I think i will get in contact with someone to put a bustle in place so we have no tripping accidents. Thanks you x
  • nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    does sound odd it didnt come with something, see what you can do, shouldnt cost very much, its only a 5 min job
  • Definitely bustle it. My dress lady forgot to show me where it was (and I forgot to ask!) but I figured on the day, surrounded by ladies who were already married so would have experience in the matter, we would be able to figure it out. NO ONE could find the darn loop so I couldn't bustle it. We had a ceilidh in the evening and it was an absolute nightmare with the full dress down.

If you got it done it's always there as an option!
  • JoeyClareJoeyClare Posts: 2,737
    I have Benjamin Roberts 2058 as well and my bridal shop recommend I bustle it. It's costing £35. image
  • I will be bustling mine, and changing my cathedral length veil to a finger top length one.

Once more people arrive and people start mingling and dancing.. I know my train and veil will just get stood on constantly.
  • Jokaty82Jokaty82 Posts: 1,908
    Quoted:
    Definitely bustle it. My dress lady forgot to show me where it was (and I forgot to ask!) but I figured on the day, surrounded by ladies who were already married so would have experience in the matter, we would be able to figure it out. NO ONE could find the darn loop so I couldn't bustle it. We had a ceilidh in the evening and it was an absolute nightmare with the full dress down.

If you got it done it's always there as an option!

Ha ha this was me! Lady showed us in the shop how to bustle, then on the day we couldn't flipping find the thing for love nor money. I had so many people trying to find it, in the end I got irritated and just left it. I ended up spending most the night with it lifted up dancing! But I would have definitely done if I could have found it xx
  • Jokaty82Jokaty82 Posts: 1,908
    Quoted:
    I will be bustling mine, and changing my cathedral length veil to a finger top length one.

Once more people arrive and people start mingling and dancing.. I know my train and veil will just get stood on constantly.

I had all these good intentions of changing my look for the evening, taking my one shoulder strap off, changing shoes, putting on a necklace, carefully touching up make up. When your in the swing of things though these things go out the window. Couldnt be bothered with necklace, changed shoes cos they were hurting, but I just left other things xx
  • SpecialSundaeSpecialSundae Posts: 3,029
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    I will be bustling mine, and changing my cathedral length veil to a finger top length one.

I had all these good intentions of changing my look for the evening, taking my one shoulder strap off, changing shoes, putting on a necklace, carefully touching up make up. When your in the swing of things though these things go out the window. Couldnt be bothered with necklace, changed shoes cos they were hurting, but I just left other things xx

Not always! I changed my skirt for the shorter version and put on a mini tricorne hat in place of my tiara for the evening. It was lovely to have 20 minutes away with my husband to change (and have a snog).
  • MrsLightyMrsLighty Posts: 466
    I had the same problem with my bustle - no one could do the bloomin' thing! Ended up in the corridor with my MIL hitching my skirt up - I was so elegant! image

Mine cost £15 to have the bustle put in. Would definitely recommend it though, as my friend at the weekend had her beautiful Maggie Sottero dress ripped by a stiletto even after she'd bustled it image
  • I have Deff bustleing my dress,, will make time before the first dance!!

With 200 people roaming around, it WILl get stood on.

My Mum is very on the ball with things like this.. she will bustle my dress, while a sister or friend changes my veil..

I will have the 2nd veil laid on the bed ready to swap!!

After paying £350(ish) for my veils I am going to bloomin wear them image
  • SpecialSundaeSpecialSundae Posts: 3,029
    Mine was bustled pretty much straight after the ceremony. There were too many people around not to bustle it.
  • purpletulippurpletulip Posts: 679 New bride
    Yes - i'd recommend you Bustle it. I paid my dress shop £20 & all it was basically, was 2 bits of ribbon which you tie together. I bustled mine just before the 'wedding breakfast' and as we walked in as ''Mr & Mrs'' my husband still managed to stand on it!!