Forum home You & Your Baby

Baby meal ideas

I know we have the weaning thread but thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we can share meal ideas. I know sometimes I lack inspiration and would be good to see what other babies are eating/what combos u all put together. I'm specifically looking for ideas for pasta/rice/couscous dinners. Some of Toby's favourite meals are Cod, mash, peas and sweetcorn. Turkey, squash and mushrooms Salmon, sweet pot and broccoli Mash and Avocado Swede and parsnip Beans on toast Fav finger foods are Baby corns Toast Biscotti biscuits Grapes

• my daughter lottie is 8 months old and i am really struggling with what to give her on a everyday basis, i have no idea what she cand cant eat at the moment she has mashed potato with baby gravy, toast, fruit didnt even know they could eat pasta,salmon etc HELP

• Well at 8 months she can eat pretty much anything Hun - except runny eggs and I think liver/p??t??

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    And honey

Caitlins favourites are turkey bolognase it was with baby pasta but last time with tagliatelle, roast chicken dinner all as finger food, fish pie which we put fish in white or cheese sauce and mash on top.

We tried little angels stage 3 mango and chicken curry this week which she loves si will try some spicier food now.

She loves scrambled egg with cheese in.

A lot of days now she will have what we have or had the day before.

She likes sausage too but have to take off the skin
  • EllieKate83EllieKate83 Posts: 1,431
    Risotto is a good one that you can all eat (if you're careful with seasoning etc). And with couscous I normally just give that with butter & some mashed veg. Bolognese is good. we've done rabbit. Anything egg based is a hit.

I want to try a mild chicken curry as I suspect she'll love it. Trying to move towards her having what we eat as I find I just make her the same stuff if not.
    Need to try risotto Caitlin wasnt well when last did it. Jacket potatoes with cheese or tuna work well
  • OMG im stunned at what they can eat my other daughter is 13 years old and all she had was baby food it wasnt really till she was 1 that they advised to feed proper family food but risotto, pasta and such like at a young age i will try it and see what baby thinks thanks girls x

My hv said to get used to real food sooner the better. Have a look at jars and pouxhes for that age. my dughter is 10.5 months and has combination of our food an pouches, she wont eat jars
  • I need to get more creative in the kitchen - hate cooking and I'm not very experimental. Plus I'm a bit of a fussy eater.

Anyone got any good recipes for tuna?
    A friend cooks pasta and then puts some tuna and a dairylea triangle or cream cheese in and mixes together. Will look for some recipes. have you tried fish fingers?
  • Haven't tried cream cheese yet as trying to go slow with dairy. But might give that a go. Can u freeze tuna?

Funnily enough I'm going to try fish fingers with baked beans tomorrow. Do I have to take the breadcrumbs off?
    Caitlin ate a bit of breadcrmb but not loads. if you chop up a lot of it breaks off
  • MrsDunksMrsDunks Posts: 1,027
    Good idea with the fish fingers - I did fresh cod last week and the smell was awful (it was fresh! Just can't stand fish smell!) but fish fingers don't smell as bad! Xxx
    In the summer we do all fish on the bbq to save the house smelling.
  • roo10roo10 Posts: 722
    I give chloe potato, beans and fish finger, she loves it. I take the batter off.
    Today I made Chloe a tropical fruit crumble and she LOVED it! Warmed some oats in whole milk, stewed melon, pineapple and mango in a bit of apple juice for 5 mins, then blended with the oats, a knob of coconut cream (in the block, it's 100% coconut and lasts 4 weeks in fridge once opened) and a pinch of cinnamon. Had to stop myself from eating it, it was yummy! Xxx
  • Flossy17Flossy17 Posts: 289

Wow Georgi, Chloe certainly is lucky with a baking mummy like you! Sounds yum! x

Haha, thanks Hannah but I'm normally rubbish with her food! Felt sorry for her so upped my game a bit! Xxx
    That does sound lush! I might make one for all of us.

I just made us all chicken curry & gave willow some with yoghurt. She loved it. Hopefully I can start moving towards giving her what we're eating now.
    What type of curry was it? Thinking of Turkey curry on Boxing day
    It was like a tikka marsala. Ours had extra chilli & hers had extra yoghurt but fairly similar.
    Ah ok. Might give it a go she has liked both the Little angels mango and chicken curry and Ellas kitchen thai vegetable curry.
  • ditzidancerditzidancer Posts: 1,145
    Georgi im an awful cook so guna sound ignorant but how do you stew?? Sounds really nice, chloe is very lucky!!
  • Wow these babies are eating better than I do lol.

My problem is I don't eat fish or curry or anything spicy. I hate the smell of curry so can't stand the thought of giving that to him. Will have to do it though - it ant be worse than tuna - that is my absolute nemesis.

Tomorrow he has got minced pork and apple meatballs with tomato sauce and baby pastaimage
    ooo those meatballs sound good.

I hate banana smell, texture etc so mainly hubby that gives her those.

i really went off fish in pregnancy but eat again now
    Nat, just pop a bit of apple juice (or water) in pan with the fruit, about 2tbsp, and bring to boil then simmer for 4-5 mins with lid on. Hard fruit like apple can take a bit longer, it just softens it up nicely and takes some of the sharpness away xxx
    Curry sounds good Ellie, might do Chloe one with some chicken, dried apricots, coconut etc tomoz. And meatballs is impressive!

Chloe had same as us last night, minus a few ingredients, and wolfed it down for dinner and lunch today - very unusual as she normally spits my savoury offerings out then smears it all over her face!

Spinach Pasta:- Put some baby pasta on to cook, then dice a bit of onion and soften in unsalted butter in a pan. Add big handful of spinach, tbsp mascarpone cheese and tbsp natural yog. Rinse half a sundried tomato and add this along with a handful of sweetcorn and a pinch of nutmeg. Blend everything (with or without pasta), adding a bit of whole milk to get desired consistency. Makes 2 portions.

Xxx
  • That pasta sounds lovely I might try that. Do u think I could use anything else instead of mascarpone?

I keep buying all these ingredients and lots ends up going to waste.

Think I would add some pine nuts to our serving as well

The meatballs went down well with both hubby and Tobyimage. I've only ever done plain minced beef ones before so pleased these were a success. - lucky as he has a few portions in the freezerimage
    Looking at Georgis recipe I would think you could use cream cheese then any lwft oveer can have on bagels!
    Yep I would say cream cheese as a substitute! It is yummy, we add white wine to ours instead of milk though, haha! Xxx
  • ditzidancerditzidancer Posts: 1,145
    Any ideas what to do with eggs? Obv i know they have to be well done. We tried omlette bits and was neither here or there! So ended up putting it in sweetpotato!? Was thinking hard boiled egg mashed up and then fingers of toast. Anything else?