A heart-filled wedding report

Eeek, it’s finally time to write about our wedding! I didn’t want to start a wedding report until our photos arrived from Hannah Mia, and now that they’re here I’m not even sure where to start. Maybe I’ll just write “best day ever” and then leave you to look at 800 photos…?

No, I like to write so you will be getting words too. I’ve already discussed various parts of our wedding in my planning thread (and if you want to know how we met and all that, you should head over there) but in the interests of new readers and people with poor memories, I’ll make sure to recap on the most important bits.

(Most of my photos will be done in a collage style as it's easier to link them straight from my blog, so just click to enlarge them if anything looks too small!)

• So, in the words of Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music, “let’s start at the very beginning; a very good place to start”. And in this case, the beginning was 5.15am when my bridesmaid misread the time and started chatting to me an hour earlier than she intended to.

I hadn’t had much sleep anyway; I struggle to fall asleep at the best of times, but when you know you’re getting married the following morning it’s even harder to keep insomnia at bay. I was staying at my parents’ house, along with three of my four bridesmaids, and we had spent the evening before eating homemade lasagne, drinking Malibu and swapping gifts. (And having an emergency red Shellac on my toenails after the nude colour I’d intended to wear was much too pink in reality.)

The alarm was set for 6.30am in preparation for the early arrival of my hair stylist, but after having our “eeeek, you’re getting married today!” moment over an hour early, we were already awake and ready to start the day… or at least ready for a cup of tea.

I felt surprisingly calm, and stayed that way all morning, with just a few butterflies of excitement. The sun was shining, we had the radio on for cheery background music, and the atmosphere was really happy and chilled.

My hair was done by Jenna McDonnell, who is a good friend of mine. I really didn’t want anything too fancy – I only ever wear my hair down, and with it being fairly short there’s not a great deal you can do with it anyway. So we decided on a half-up, sort of beehive style. I had let the length grow a little longer than usual just to make sure it all went up, and I’d had it dyed my usual bright red a week before. Far too many people asked if I’d be changing the colour before the day, but it was really important that I felt like “me”, and I love my red hair!

I wore a hair accessory by Hermione Harbutt. I met Hermione at the National Wedding Show, and I really liked one of her headdresses – but it had pearls, which wouldn’t have gone so well with my dress. So Hermione created a bespoke piece for me in a similar design, but with crystals instead of pearls. I loved it, and it was so comfortable to wear.

My bridesmaid Kyrie was in charge of my make-up, and gave me a lovely subtle smokey eye look. I wish she could do my make-up every day. She had also done my nails a couple of days before – a natural looking French manicure with sparkley glitter over the top.

• I was a bit of a rubbish bride and hadn’t made any decisions on how my bridesmaids should have their hair or make-up. I genuinely didn’t mind, and just wanted them all to feel comfortable – so they pretty much made it up as they went along, each having their hair put in a slightly different wavy up do, and doing their own make-up.

As well as not knowing what their hair and make-up would look like, I hadn’t actually seen all four girls in their dresses until the day of the wedding. They sent me out of the room while they got dressed and then called me in when they were ready, and I was so happy with how it all came together. I’d had a few wobbles over the bridesmaid dresses (they had only cost £18.75 from Forever 21, and were a bit of an impulsive purchase) but they all looked beautiful. Their jewellery was by Jon Richard, and the ivory rose hair clips were from Oasis.

• Can't wait to read more! I love the personalised mugs (its the little details!!) x

• Thanks. image I handpainted those mugs, I thought it'd be a nice quick project - but it was anything but quick! I think I'm too much of a perfectionist...

• RinaGeeRinaGee Posts: 751

Settles down with a nice glass of wine to read everything (plus the planning thread!)

Oh, and I totally agree with the hair thing. My friend got married last year and he entire family tried to convince her to tone down her orange hair, but it's a massive part of who she is and her personality, so I was so happy when she stuck with it

• So happy to see another short haired bride!!  

how did you do the mugs? Xx

• BanariBanari Posts: 1,847

Looking forward to reading more .. All looks amazing so far image

edited to say - I love the mugs too - I am a tea addicted and they would be perfect for the morning! Would be interested to know how you made them? 

• Yay for short haired brides! A lot of people thought I might grow it for the wedding too but I prefer myself with a bob.

I bought plain white mugs for about 30p each, drew the names on with Sharpie pen, and then put them in the oven at about 175 degrees for half an hour to set the ink (it comes off otherwise and I wanted a base to trace over). I then just painted over the lines with ceramic paint and a thin brush, and set that in the oven too. Mine has lasted quite well in the dishwasher, but the painting part took a long time!

• As we were all getting ready, the doorbell rang to signal the arrival of the flowers. I had been slightly worried about how the flowers might look – not because I didn’t trust our florist, because I did – but I had never really liked the fact that you don’t get to see what you’re getting until the day. I often found myself struggling to visualise what we’d agreed to, but the bouquets arrived and they were gorgeous. Mine was an amazing vibrant red, made up of roses, germini and hypericum berries, and the bridesmaids had smaller ivory versions, which looked fab against their red dresses.

(Also a random snap of an invitation - I made all my own stationery but will talk more about that later!)

• LouBLouB Posts: 1,129 New bride

Yay your report! Loving it all so far! As others have said, the mugs are fab. Can't wait to see more image

And woop tventing yourself an keeping the red x

• So after a lovely few hours of hair, make-up, Buck’s Fizz and bacon sandwiches (I tried to eat something but really didn’t want it) it was finally time to put on my dress.

My wedding dress was Dalia by Jenny Packham, and I loved it from the moment I first saw a photo of it online. It was the first dress I chose to try on, and it should have been an easy decision, but I really struggled with dress shopping and tried on about 50 other dresses before finally realising I should have trusted my instincts in the first place. I felt amazing in it, and it had so many compliments on the day. It was massively over budget, but worth every single penny.

I wore nude patent peep toe shoes from Kurt Geiger, and bracelets by Jon Richard. I have three piercings in each ear, so I wore three pairs of studs: one diamond pair were borrowed from my Mum (“something borrowed”) and one pair were tiny blue jewels (“something blue”). My “something old” was my great-grandmother’s ring, which I wear on my right thumb and never take off.

Mum helped me into my dress and then I did one of those “walking down the stairs to show everyone” moments. People cried. Bless.

• More, more, moreimage.

• Love this already and cant wait for more x

• Once everyone was ready, there was time for a few photos in the garden before the cars arrived. As soon as I got outside I realised my veil kept getting caught on the jewels at the back of my dress, and it was pulling my head backwards in a very unglamorous way. It wasn’t until that moment that I remembered I hadn’t actually tried on my dress and veil together before… mistake.

Despite all my “arrgh, my veil is stuck again!” moaning, I was pleased I bought one. I hadn’t been sure about a veil throughout a lot of my planning, but I decided I’d get one just for the ceremony. As I’d only be wearing it for an hour I didn’t want to spend a fortune, so I ordered it from UK Wedding Veils - the website offers a ‘create your own veil’ service, which meant I could pick exactly what I wanted, and for a much cheaper price than the ones I’d seen in bridal shops. I chose single tier, floor length with scattered Swarovski crystals, and the quality was great.

The cars arrived, and suddenly it was time to go…

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

Congratulations!  image You looked stunning (amazing dress) and the bright, cherry red looks fab x

• TadpoleTadpole Posts: 2,134

Wow!! You look absolutely amazing!! x

• stunning just stunning!! image 

Dress is just beautiful! Bargain bridesmaid dresses too!! They look lovely! image

i love the moodboard pictures, they look gorgeous.

• PoppinsPoppins Posts: 3,146

Loving this! Can't wait to hear more! You looked beautiful! Xxx

• MrsJCMrsJC Posts: 2,204

Yay! I'm so pleased to see your report, LLNimage. Loving it so far! x

• PinkafroPinkafro Posts: 1,211

Wow don't you look amazing! I love how the red just pops out in every photo! I also love the neck detailing on your dress, its stunning. Looking forward to more image

You were like me with bridesmaid hair and makeup! Err I don't mind, look pretty?

Yay image

• Yay a report (claps hands giddily). I love dahlia and you wore it so well, you look stunning. Loving all the pops of red throughout your day. Big congratulations x

• Thanks everyone. image I have a couple of really big stationery orders on this week so it might be a day or two before I can continue, but I'll add more soon!

• this is so gorgous! i'm a new b2b and its so hard to know where to begin, but this is really inspirational! thank you so much for sharing, i hope you had the most beautiful day ever!!!

• Aww thanks Amee, and congratulations! I have been lazy with my report but I promise I will continue very soon.
  • **CONGRATULATIONS**

The whole blog from start to end was amazing, felt like i was reading a book, think i even had a tear at parts...perfect.

I need to get my 'wedding planning' head on, 36 weeks to go eekkk!!

I have learnt so much just from reading this so thank you kindly for sharing your beautiful day. x

• When I realised it was actually time to drive to the church I was feeling a bit nervous, but also a real sense of “yeah, let’s do this!” Adrenaline, it’s a funny thing.

My Mum and bridesmaids travelled in one car, while me and my Dad followed in another. We had a bit of an emotional moment on the journey over, but I focused on holding it together so I didn’t cry all my make-up off before anyone had even seen me! Our cars were from C&E Wedding Cars, and they were fantastic. Great drivers, and gorgeous cars (although I don’t really know what kind of cars they actually are – I just thought they looked pretty. I’m rubbish).

• As we neared the church, our driver pulled over to wait for a couple of minutes to give my Mum and the bridesmaids time to get out of their car. Despite still being a fair distance away, I could already see lots of strangers had stopped to wait on the street opposite the church – eek! I hadn’t really considered the idea that I’d have an audience outside of our invited guests, so that made me feel slightly panicked. Too many people watching me!

After getting out of the car, there was just enough time for some adjustments of my veil (which was still getting caught on my dress) before everyone was told to take their seats, and we went inside the church doorway to wait for the ceremony to begin.

The church has a glass wall that separates the main room and the entrance space, which meant that the guests all turned around to see me before I walked down the aisle. I knew about this in advance and didn’t mind too much, but the wooden doors did stop me from seeing J until I actually started walking, which  was nice.

The ceremony began with our gospel choir, Vocal Works, singing ‘Make You Feel My Love’. They sounded amazing (I amso glad we booked them) and it gave us a few minutes to mentally prepare ourselves for the walk. I say ‘ourselves’ rather than ‘myself’, because I think a few of the bridesmaids were actually more nervous than I was…

Then the organist began to play the Bridal March, and J’s youngest brother walked down the aisle first, carrying the rings in a little heart-shaped wooden box that I’d DIYed. He was followed by the bridesmaids, and then me and my Dad. I don’t know if I walked too quickly and I have no memory of the music playing – it’s all a blur.

In fact, the ceremony in general is a blur. We sang two hymns (‘One More Step Along The World I Go’, and ‘Give Me Joy In My Heart’) but didn’t have any readings, because after months of searching we still couldn’t find any we liked. The minister chose extracts of his own biblical readings, but the hazy memories means I’m not sure what these were either…

• PoppinsPoppins Posts: 3,146

Awww we want those hymns for our day too! Xx

• Ahh yay, good choices!image I took forever choosing hymns, but they both worked well as they're well-known - no dodgy mumbling by the congregation!