Forum home You & Your Baby

Graduates, how long did it take you all to get your bfp?

Hi all, 

Just wondered how many months ttc did it take u to get ur bfps? Im now on cycle 6 and trying to stay positive!  I know it can take time its just hard to keep the pma each month!  

• wannabemamawannabemama Posts: 319

It took us around 18 months since i came of the pill, however i have PCOS and had 1 cycle that lasted almost 6 months. I think it was around 6 cycles.

Once i got used to my cycle (and it had calmed down to around 45 days) i was able to monitor it and it took 3 months of temping/ov tests to get our BFP.

Don't get disheartened. Every one is different, you will definitely get there.

x

• welshgracewelshgrace Posts: 1,224

It took us 9 months.  I also had really irregular and long cycles after coming off the pill so it was hard to time it right.  

Good luck, hope it doesn't take too long for you x

• MrsLDMrsLD Posts: 293

Thank you wannabemama. I keep tryin to tell myself that everyone is different but I find it hard not to compare myself to friends who seem to all fall straight away! I'm sure it will happen I just wish I could know when lol.

• I came off the pill in July, had my 1st AF 35 days later, my 2nd AF another 63 days after that and then our Bean caught during my 3rd cycle - based on my EDD though, I ovulated around day 30 so I'd have been in for another long cycle... That's probably why I didn't test until I was over 5 weeks pregnant! image

• doorstopperdoorstopper Posts: 1,674

We were lucky and got our BFP on our first month of trying (DTD every day rather than EOD for pretty much the whole time - call it beginners' enthusiasmimage ) but I have never been on the pill so didn't have that additional side of it to deal with x

I admire u for managing to dtd ED doorstopper, I don't think we could handle that lol! I think we'll just go with EOD this cycle.

How often did everyone else dtd to catch?

• doorstopperdoorstopper Posts: 1,674

Haha, it was also over Christmas and then we had a romantic holiday in New York!image

• RedVelvetRedVelvet Posts: 1,297 New bride

We caught on the 6th cycle of trying. We though we were in it for the long run due to a known problem and were just about yo start testing before (private) IUI. We dtd in our own special way (that sounds worse than it is!) three times around ov, as I can feel it, last time being on the day of ov, and we caught. Strictly speaking it was only our 2nd or 3rd cycle of doing it properly, though, so we were very lucky. 

• MonkeygirlMonkeygirl Posts: 658

8th month of trying with pretty normal cycles. I think it stops becoming fun after 4, that is when I started to worry there was something wrong. Turns out it just took time.

• Kiki2Kiki2 Posts: 89

It took us 8 months, with no one cycle being the same length, so just DTD EOD whenever I hoped I was ovulating. It was really starting to take its toll on me emotionally, to the point where if I hadn't gotmy bfp when I did I was thinking about having a break from TTC. I have also previously had a PCOS diagnosis by ultrasound, so am hope that ladies can still get bfp naturally with PCOS xx

Thank u ladies u really do give me hope! Im glad its not just me that starts worrying!  I think I assumed that if id hadn't happened by now there might be something wrong but I know that being irrational and that it can take time even for perfectly healthy couples! 

• BabyZebedeeBabyZebedee Posts: 2,421

14 months, but 11th cycle, the stats on catching within 12 cycles are high, about 85%

youll get there Hun! I promise

Thank u BabyZ, it really is reassuring and congratulations again wishing u all the best!x

• MrswattMrswatt Posts: 38

I had my implant out end of march 2013 fell pregnant in august sometime which was technically 5 months but only had 3 cycles in that time. 

We didn't do anything special to catch no temping no ovulation predictors we just enjoyed the summer and each other image  

Baby W is due in 4 weeks!!

• nestypienestypie Posts: 651

I stopped the patch in March, fell pregnant in september but had a miscarriage and then got pregnant again within 3 weeks, before I was using opk and checkingn cervix etc but after miscarriage I gave up and we did it every other day once we were ready. I remeber doing it ten days in a row in the summer and still didn't get pregnant! every other day is best I think. Xx

Thank u nestypie! I think im just going to go for every other day and stop trying to track ovulation now x

• JoeyClareJoeyClare Posts: 2,737

22 months for me. Came off the pill January 2011. Had AF straightaway and then nothing for 5 months after that my cycles were anywhere between 30-40 days. Fell pregnant in November 2012 the week we had Ofsted and I had a viral infection!! Found out in December. I was on CD38 which wasn't unusual, but I had sickness, cramps and no AF, a pot belly and an obsession with orange juice. I was starting to think it wasn't going to happen naturally for us, but got there in the end!!

• ButtonmoonButtonmoon Posts: 924

Finished pill oct 2013. Conceived on 2me cycle (temped this cycle to ensure ovulation) but Dtd eod or so throughout month. Honeymoon bliss helped stamina image

sadly mc jan 5th. We tried again straight away and dtd eod or so after about cd 14 as knew I ovulated later than 'norm' . We were lucky enough for another bfp and the ones appears sticky.

but everyone is different and will face different challenges but you will get there xxx

Thank u ladies for ur support, it really does help xxx

• EllieKate83EllieKate83 Posts: 1,431

It's really easy to get caught up with worry about ttc.  With our first daughter I came off the pill in April and we started trying at the end of that month.  I got my BPF in mid September and around the start of August I had a panic that I was infertile or something was wrong.  Our second was conceived straight away although weirdly both were conceived around the august bank holiday & I'm a teacher, so I think having a few weeks off work probably helped image

I'm sure you'll get there soon.  Friends of ours took 18m to conceive no.1 and a month with no.2 so it's all a bit random x

• Mrs MaynesMrs Maynes Posts: 601

I came off the pill May 2013 but was really careful until August in terms of knowing when I was ovulating and avoiding sex for that week. I got pregnant first month of not being careful, miscarried in October and was pregnant again by the end of November. Either me or Mr M is super fertile!