Navy and navy?

Hi all,

Has anyone had or having navy bridesmaids and navy ushers? I can't imagine it together and can't seem to find any photos of it so can't decide if it'll look a bit dodgy if they're not exactly the shade. What do people think? The OH would like navy but I'm not sure (and have my heart set on navy bridesmaids).

• Michelle91Michelle91 Posts: 244

Hi Helen

im with you on this one!

we planned on having navy suits for the guys, however i have just bought some navy dresses for my bridesmaids. NowI'm unsure if it's too dark especially as we get married in december so worry it will look dark all round.

do you have any colours in mind. Maybe you could add accent colours with the ties and flowers etc

• Clairey90Clairey90 Posts: 31

Hey,

I'm currently looking at dresses and suits for our wedding party. I'm planning on getting navy dresses for the girls and grey suits for the guys. I will then get the guys a navy tie and pocket square to toe the navy all together ☺️

The dresses I want keep being out of stock everywhere I look! i have 5 bridesmaids so I need to order them all at the same time! 

• Wy not switch it up and have the groomsmen in navy and the bridesmaids in deep royal blue (or vice versa)? It provides an obvious contrast and adds more dimension and won't make it look monotonous. The thing with a colour scheme is to have variety because one shade/tone will get over baring. So you should always use sister colours to make your actual colour pop. Hope that makes sense x

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

I agree that it will look great, as long as it doesn't look like you are trying to make them match exactly but failing. If you purposely go for slightly differing shades then I think tht this will look lovely. I do think another colour is needed, even if it is just ivory in the flowers, waistcoats/cravat, BMs accessories and of course your dress. Other colour could be gold, blush, pink or even lighter blue. 

• NikkiMNikkiM Posts: 1,653 New bride

I was going to do both suits and bridesmaids dresses in royal blue before I got worried that it would be too much of the same colour. Then I saw the new serenity blue and have decided to have the bridesmaids dresses in a similiar colour. We get married in March so I thought the lighter blue colour would work well in our Royal blue, light pink colour theme.

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

Hi everyone,

Some good ideas on here, really got me thinking. My favourite colour is turquoise and everyone is always really surprised I'm not having that as the main colour. Not sure why but I'm drawn to navy and always pictured navy dresses but I wonder if navy suits (and dresses) with a turquoise tie would look ok. 

The other idea I've seen is navy suit but with a grey waistcoat so you can still have a navy cravat/tie and it's not overkill. 

Decisions decisions!

• Hullass1972Hullass1972 Posts: 601 New bride

I think silver looks amazing with navy so I would say the grey would look great, and maybe use silver as your contrasting colour?

• I have Navy bridemaids and the Groom & Groomsmen are in Grey suits with silver waitcoats and navy cravat-ties

• Amber23Amber23 Posts: 69

I have navy bridesmaids (well flowergirls actually...my oldest bridesmaid is 9!) and fiance and my son will be in grey suits with navy ties and pocket squares.  I originally wanted navy suits but they wanted to wear grey.

• rainbooboorainbooboo Posts: 545

Hiya,

I was just looking at a blog for something else and came across this picture with the ushers and BM's both in navy which I think looks fab!

http://www.wasing-weddings.co.uk/files/2015/04/Trayhorne0571.jpg

x

• p1ngup1ngu Posts: 18

If it were me I'd have bridesmaids in navy and then groomsmen in grey suits. Navy and grey are 2 of my favourite colours that I wear a lot! I think they'd look great together. Whatever you decide I'm sure will look amazing!

• Little-pickleLittle-pickle Posts: 1,136

I had navy bridesmaids. The 2 ushers in navy suits (different shade but looked totally fine) and groom, dads and bestman in grey suits with navy cravats. They all looked great! 

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

Ooooo thanks for that, it's cheered up H2B no end!! My flowers will be white too. 

I completely agree with all the grey comments, that's where I was going but there's not much he actually wants so feel like I need to factor in navy suits somehow without completely losing the look I was after. 

• Little-pickleLittle-pickle Posts: 1,136

image Here is a photo of all the colours. I have lace and ribbon flowers which is why there is navy in them too. 

• Maria60Maria60 Posts: 113

I think it will look great and bright, nice choise!)

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

We had navy bridesmaids and navy suits. It looked lovely and there was no issue with the colours at all. I had ivory and blush pink flowers to add a bit of colour.