Timings

I’m not getting married until May 2017 so I know I am worrying too far in advance.

I just need some guidance with hair and make up timings please.

I’ve secured the make up lady I want but I have no idea about how to make it all work. She will be doing me, 2 mums and 2 bridesmaids.

I’m getting married at 12 and then venue is 30 mins away. I haven’t arranged hair yet. It will be at my house I hope for myself and 3 bridesmaids. Eeek! x

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,663 New bride

I asked a question about this recently (though about hair instead of make up), and got such differing answers that it's impossible to guess really!

Some people said 2 hours for hair for the bride and one for each bridesmaid! But I had my hair trial the other day and mine will be 1 hour for bride and 30 mins per bridesmaid. Which is a relief as I was worried we'd have to be up at 5am or something! Haven't confirmed with my make up artist yet but I imagine it will be around the same.

• sonia9sonia9 Posts: 243

thank you! It's all very exciting but complicated. My make up artist said she will start at 7 and not to worry, I need to sort hair so I will see what she says. I'm tempted to go first to make sure I am done without any rush but I'm not sure I want to be ready so early x

• TheLegacyofMrsMTheLegacyofMrsM Posts: 2,188 New bride

You should be the last to have your make up done so it is fresh and not wearing off. If you have to leave to get to your venue at 11:30 you need to be planning to get in your dress around 10:45. I had the same times as you but only my mum and I had our make up done. My make up took 70 mins and my hair 75 mins. Do your bridesmaids make up first as they are the least important. My first reaction is that is a lot of people to do: can you get a second MUA or cut the bridesmaids make up? I got my bridesmaids to do each others ghd curls to save time, starting getting ready 5 hours before your wedding starts will make it a very long day for you

I know, it seems crazy and I would like to be done last without rush or panic. I will speak to the MUA who is professional but also a friend. I’d rather get another one if needed. I don’t like chaos at the best of times L She says she could start at 7am and do the mother of the groom first who will be  5 mins away by car. x

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,663 New bride

My hairdresser said a good option is to have your own hair and make up done at the same time if you are worried about timings. She said it works fine and cuts an hour out of the schedule so you don't have to start so early! You do want to get yours done last so you are all fresh :) And once the BMs are done they can get dressed ready to help you once you're done!

Thank you so much. I will suggest that!! Thank you. xx

• Little JulesLittle Jules Posts: 1,538

I would talk to your MUA, hairdresser, and photographer. They should all have ideas of how long they'll need and be able to put a timetable together so that everything is done on time, and you are ready when the photographer wants you - or you can get photos of you putting your dress on etc.

thank you. I'm not having a photographer until the ceremony, I'm not good at getting ready at the best of times so I just want it to be and the bridesmaids xx