Can't find reviews for a photographer, would it put you off?

HailsHails Posts: 2,455

White ribbons - I like the pictures but I can't see any reviews which worries me a little bit. would this put you off? 

• missmarvelmissmarvel Posts: 219

i can't imagine why they wouldn't advertise positive reviews unless they are starting out? 

• Laura GraceLaura Grace Posts: 334 New bride

Hi Hails,

What type of reviews are you expecting to see? Do they have any Facebook reviews? As a wedding photographer (of less than a year) the only place I've had reviews have been directly on my Facebook page or via email.  I do quote these as testimonials on my website but obviously they aren't really worth anything as no-one knows for sure they are genuine other than the people that wrote them.  

How experienced are they?  Have you met with them? Have you asked if they can provide references (i.e. from couples they've photographed)?  

If you already have concerns (and feel the need for references) then maybe you should look elsewhere.  If on the other hand you love their work and this is only a minor niggle then speak to them, there may be a valid reason.  

Finally, if you are still unsure but really like their photography, why not book in for a portrait session / pre-wedding shoot.  I often suggest this and offer to discount it from their wedding package if they book.  This way you get to see how they are 'on the job' as well as the finished article. 

Hope this helps!

Laura x

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

It wouldn't put me off. Most of the time if there has been an issue with a supplier you can find information on line anyway so if you've done a google search and there is nothing concerning I would think you'll be fine.

My photographer didn't have any reviews either as he hadn't been in the business long but we went t his studio and viewed lots of his work online/in albums which led to us booking.

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

I'm the sort of person who looks at reviews for everything - restaurants, hotels, etc! I think it's because a lot of the others I was googling there were reviews on google, but it's reassuring that there's no bad reviews on the other hand! 

• rlnxrlnx Posts: 46 New bride
    Hails wrote (see post):

I'm the sort of person who looks at reviews for everything - restaurants, hotels, etc! I think it's because a lot of the others I was googling there were reviews on google, but it's reassuring that there's no bad reviews on the other hand! 

This is me too! I think it would worry me a little because i know what i'm like, but as you say, its positive that there are no negative reviews! :)

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,841 New bride

It would put me off yes. I would expect a serious wedding photographer to have an active facebook page which would then attract reviews and comments. I honestly wouldn't book something as important as a photographer without seeing reviews.

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Haha I started this thread a year ago, when I was looking. In the end I went with one with great reviews and a great online presence.

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,841 New bride
    Hails wrote (see post):

Haha I started this thread a year ago, when I was looking. In the end I went with one with great reviews and a great online presence.

Ha didn't notice someone had dragged it up from a year ago! I was thinking it was odd that Hails didn't have a tog sorted yet!