Forum home Planning

Transport

MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

How is everyone planning on transporting their brides to the ceremony and reception venue? 

The plan is everyone to get ready at my mums and then travel to the hotel where the ceremony and reception is being held. Now my original idea was to hire two cars, one for the bridesmaids and mum with a second car for myself and dad. 

Or at least that was the idea until I started getting my quotes yesterday. The local company wanted to change £850 🙀 I have emailed a few others and the prices are coming down a little. I'm down to £680  with another company. 

I have given this information to h2b and he has basically told me no and that I am on cloud round the bend to pay that money. He has suggested his dad drives the bridesmaids in the zafira, he said it will be cleamed the day before and will put ribbons on the front to make it look pretty and I can have the nice hire car with dad. My MOH agrees with him. 

I know mum will happily go with my brother or her friends so that not a problem. But I feel a little mean, I'm getting a nice car and the bridesmaids will be in our family car. What is everyone else's plans?

• We got a lot of high quotes also so we have decided to use our friend who just bought a white landrover it is lovely and he has offered to do two runs so we were-delighted to agree image

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Lovely car. We did consider someone doing a couple of trips but our venue is a good 30 minutes from my parents without heavy traffic so really can't chance that. 

I am waiting for two other companies to get back to me. Hoping they reply today or tomorrow. From there we will make a decision as to the next step.

I know we need to make a decision soon, two companies I emailed are already booked for our wedding! Eek! 18 month mark has hit and everyone seems to be getting in touch with suppliers.

• Depending on where you live, try a taxi firm.we have an airport 30 miles away and they do executive taxi runs for £65 and they agreed to do the same rate for us. They are bit posher cars than their normal taxis. 

MrsShort2016 wrote (see post):

Depending on where you live, try a taxi firm.we have an airport 30 miles away and they do executive taxi runs for £65 and they agreed to do the same rate for us. They are bit posher cars than their normal taxis. 

Thanks MrsShort2016. I will have a look, I'm not sure if we have any where I live. South Wales Valleys are pretty but don't have a lot of competition. 

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

I've got a nice car and a local taxi firm. They do nice cars and do ribbons etc in the price. 

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I emailed a company today who hire vintage VW Beetles and Camper, got a price of £495 for the two. 

Also got my dad on the case to see if he knows of anyone. 

• MichBee2BMichBee2B Posts: 726

I've asked my brother to drive me, and am going to hire him something nice to drive around for the day. Will be around £200-300 but still cheaper than hiring a wedding car for the day. To be honest I'm not actually that fussed about the car and I'd be happy to just go in my dad's car so that's an option I'm keeping open too.

The girls and mum will go in taxis or with friends. We're lucky to be in the city centre so there are lots of black cab companies that do wedding cars as well.

I refuse to get in my dads car on a normal day. It's a dustbin on wheels. I had to get a towel last week to sit on while going to a meeting with him. Lol. 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

i had a car dilemma recently, with the church being so very close I didnt want to pay to get there, especially not hundreds!

OH gets a free wedding car from his work so weve said it can drop him at the church then come for me later, so we both get the nice car.

It could possibly go back for ushers before me depending on if theres a limit to the travelling, and Ill get my brother to take our kuga with the bridesmaids in. Its bright blue but well put ribbons on it and make sure it clean, itll be a year old by the wedding so still looks good.

Then my brother can drive it back to mine and get in the jaguar with me because hes giving me away.

After the ceremony me and OH will go in the jag and we might put on a coach, OH isnt decided yet. If not bridesmaids and ushers can go in taxis which well pay for.

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Shame you are a bit far for 2 trips in one car, Maybe an executive taxi for your girls and a nice car for you? How many of you are there? some campers might even fit 6?

I have a total of five bridesmaids ranging from from six years old up to adult. After alot of discussion I think we are going to get FFIL to drive the bridesmaids and hire the one car for me and my dad. It will save us around £300. 

Thank you for the advice ladies.