Forum home Wedding fashion

I did the thing you shouldn't do!

Ok so I got super over excited (and with a bit of peer pressure) and tried on some wedding dresses, however my big day isn't until May 2018!!

I knew I shouldn't of done it as it's so far away but I couldn't resist. I've now fallen in love with this dress and after putting it out of my mind for a few months - I tried in on in Feb - it has now popped back up! Although it doesn't help that the shop is a few shops down from where I work...

Here's a pic and I'd love some opinions :) It's Ronald Joyce Belen for reference.

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

It's a stunning dress. Only you know what you are like and whether you are likely to change your mind.

• GillP2GillP2 Posts: 332

Oh it's gorgeous, it's very unusual and I love that! Very beautiful. 

Is it current stock just now? xx

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868

It is a beautiful dress and you look amazing wearing it! I would probably hold off buying anything at this stage though as tastes do change so much while planning your wedding and nearly all brides have a dress meltdown at one stage or another and you don't want to go through too many of them (which you may do if you commit so early on)

My only negative about this dress is that I have seen a lot of prom style dresses like this and it could easily be an evening gown to a party as it doesn't look bridal enough for me, but don't get me wrong, it is a BEAUTIFUL dress!! I think it is the silver on it that makes me think it isn't weddingy enough, but then not everyone wants to be head to toe bridal?! xxxxx

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

Oh my god that dress is gorgeous! if it has straps i think it would be my perfect dress!! such a flattering shape it really looks lovely :) 

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

It's lovely! The pattern on the dress is quite different to many embroidered dresses I've seen. 

Im getting married in May 2018 too and whilst I went to a Wed2Be just for fun I haven't seriously tried on any dresses. People say don't leave it too late but also don't get it too early as you have time to change your mind/worry about it. 

If you think it could be the one. I would ask the dress shop when is the latest they keep that style to order and wait a bit longer before ordering. 

• LittleOne89LittleOne89 Posts: 388 New bride

I do absolutely love this dress and haven't seen anything like it anywhere else. It's perfect for my theme- white and silver- and I'm happy with the level of bridal. I'm not hugely traditional so just want something glam with sparkle- which this certainly ticks the box for! Also, we're getting married in 9 acres of garden so the leafy pattern is perfect. 

I'm going to hold out for as long as possible as I know there will be other dresses. I'm sure that fate will decide in the end :) 

• JdotJJdotJ Posts: 196 New bride

Absolutely gorgeous! I have to disagree with MrsG2bxx and don't think it looks like a prom dress at all, love it!

Jx

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,355 New bride

Don't by it yet! Ask the shop whether they are likely to still be able to order it come May 2017. Keep in mind though that they may not be aware of any plans to discontinue the dress.

You can always ask them to contact you if the designer does discontinue (should mean you can get the sample for a good discount too....) but other than that, really try to hold out until May and then before you commit make sure you look at a few other places as there will be new seasons of dresses to look at.

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

Yes, do ask the shop! They may have had this style for years and plan on keeping it for more. Or they may be getting rid next week. That might make your choice easier.

Take it from someone who bought her dress 18 months out- don't do it! I love my dress (even if I didn't I'm stuck with it now haha) but the amount of worrying about it I've done I do wish I had waited. I also wish I'd gone to more bridal stores and tried on hundreds of dresses because it's the only time in my life I can! I did go to 3, but you know, I could have milked it more.

But... just to play devil's advocate, it's a very unusual design, and how gutted would you be if it wasn't available when you are ready to buy? It's not like a lace fishtail where you'll easily find a similar aternative if it's not available.

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

I'm a March 2018 bride and have just started looking at dresses. While I have a dress in mind I am not rushing out, mainly because my mum hasn't been dress shopping with me and I still feel I have time. 

It is a lovely dress and like the others have mentioned, contact the store find out if it's likely to be discontinued any time soon. From there you can make a decision. 

• LisachLisach Posts: 27

I am getting married in march 2018 and I have already bought my dress well the deposit for it and there has been times I keep thinking I wish I tried on more or I wish I had waited and the phase every bride goes through about doubting her dress but then I think back to how I felt I knew it was the one and made me cry, if you got that gut feeling then go for it but do try on some more and you will know, it doesn't matter if different styles come out its what you fall in love with and have that bride feeling,  the dress is lovely xx

Thanks for all the advice ladies. I suppose I should have mentioned I tried on lots of others but this one blew them out of the water. I know this is the best shape for me- a line and ballgown just looked ridiculous on me- and I don't want lace or embroidery so to find something alternative to that was fab. 

The shop doesn't know if/when it will be discontinued so I think I will just drop in there regularly to check. In the meantime I will have some fun and try more as there is a big Mori Lee stockist near me that I'd like to visit. 

• GillP2GillP2 Posts: 332

After reading this post today I was already booked in to look at dresses tonight but what did I do.... Tried a dress on almost 1k over my budget (without knowing) we can't win ladies! 🙈 

• oooo I LOVE IT! It really suits your figure too! I do think you should wait before ordering it though if that's an option

Thanks 😊 

they think they'll have it 'until Fall' so I will hold out until then 

• VicNVicN Posts: 1,352

If it is a popular style then they may still have it for a while. I got married in 2014 and my dress is still available x

It is beautiful - really hugs your curves and shows off your figure and I love the skirt too xx

• I'm June 2018... I have MANY ideas of styles I like; however, I will not start planning to purchase until September 2017 (I'm getting mine made). I would say hold off just because trends tend to change and it may affect your ultimate theme. However, there's nothing wrong in trying on to get an idea of what styles suit you best

• Bringing up an old thread here, but thank you to all the ladies that said WAIT. Almost 11 months since I first tried it on I am now going to order this dress because it is going to be discontinued as of January, so it's now got £600 off, bringing me a well needed 'under budget' item! And because it fits already it doesn't need much adjusting. Yay! 

• YAY! love a bargain and also I LOVE the dress :) its so unusual and lovely x

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

Fantastic - great outcome

• Thank you :) It's perfect in every way!

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Result! Glad it worked out well for you.

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,441 New bride

oh wow it's lovely.

• Rose32Rose32 Posts: 74

Lovely dress, looks gorgeous on you xxx

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

This is the first time Ive seen this post but Im glad you got the dress, you look perfect

• Thanks everyone :) I think 11 months was long enough to mull it over... Can't wait to wear it now, roll on May 2018