Forum home Weddings abroad

Portugal brides!!

Hi everyone, 

We have always loved the idea of getting married abroad and have just started researching it. 

We've fallen in love with Suites Alba Resort in the Algarve. Has anyone used this venue before? We've had a quote from wedding planners Sonho a Dois but I don't know anyone who has used them before. Can anyone help? 

We also tried to contact Algarve weddings by Rebecca as Ive heard she is fantastic. I've had one email reply and haven't heard anything since. Can anyone recommend wedding planners in the Algarve? 

ThanIs! 

• Hi Emma, i did post yesterday but can't now see it. We have just come back from Portugal and have pencilled in Suites alba for the 26 aug 2018 - so exciting! We are using Glamour wedding planners

• Hi MrsEd2018,

congrats!! What did you think of the hotel? The photos look amazing! We are also thinking of the same week in 2018! I must take a look at Glamour Wedding Planners. 

• It was lovely Emma. I was dead set on not getting married at a hotel and had my heart set on Lady of the Rock but Patricia at Glamour convinced us to at least look at Suites Alba and I'm so glad we did. The hotel itself is a series of Villa so looks like a pretty little village rather than a generic hotel and the place where you actually get married is very seperate so no chance of hotel guests wandering in. There's also a little cute playpark for our kiddie guests which sealed the deal for me as will keep them entertained and the mums and dads can relax a bit. Honestly you should take a look. I'm so glad we did cos when we went to view Lady of the Rock it was so unberably hot that there was no way we could get married there at the peak of summer! 

• Em88Em88 Posts: 1

Hi lovely ladies!

We've just started planning our wedding in the Algarve, our wedding planner (Rebecca) has sent through a few venues so far, but nothings quite ticking all the boxes yet! She's been great so far, some delay in emails, but she seems to have a wedding everyday!!

We're hoping for a venue on the beach. We have around 50 guests (40 adults/10 children) any suggestions?

Also has anyone been given an average cost of a wedding in the Algarve?

Thanks girls x

• Hi there!

Our wedding is mostly booked for July 2017 at Duna Beach in Lagos. We have holidayed there for the past 8 years and from day 1 said we would marry there. Planning /organising has been pretty simple so far!

The only thing we are struggling with is a band. We have contacted one that came with great recommendations 'The Originals' but sadly they are booked on our date.

Does anyone have any recommendations for bands in the Algarve? 

Karen

• Em88 wrote (see post):

Hi lovely ladies!

We've just started planning our wedding in the Algarve, our wedding planner (Rebecca) has sent through a few venues so far, but nothings quite ticking all the boxes yet! She's been great so far, some delay in emails, but she seems to have a wedding everyday!!

We're hoping for a venue on the beach. We have around 50 guests (40 adults/10 children) any suggestions?

Also has anyone been given an average cost of a wedding in the Algarve?

Thanks girls x

• Hi Em88,

Have a look at thé Duna Beach resort in Lagos, its part of the Tivoli hotel. It's on the beach but set back a little. Has its own pool and you can have the entire place to yourself. Their wedding planner is also really great which has made the process really easy!

Costs, it can be as cheap or expensive as you like! Our budget was £6k and we've stuck to it. Though I have friends who married in another hotel in the Algarve and they ended up spending £18k as they shipped decorations over and paid extra for a special menu and drinks. 

Happy planning!!

K

• Hi emma577

I cant comment much on suites Alba but we used Sonho A Dois. We just got back on Monday from our wedding at Sao Rafael Atlantico which is another venue they offer. 

Sandra was our planner for Sonho A Dois and I have to say she was absolutly amazing. Made everything so easy to plan. The amount of emails we sent with loads of questions and ideas of what we wanted and she got back to us quickly with all the answers. Our day was perfect. They are a fantastic team and we cant fault them. I would 100% recomend them. 

enjoy your planning and day when it comes

Suzi

• I have my wedding booked for september next year and Rebecca is our wedding planner. Highly recommend her! She is very busy with a wedding almost every day during the summer months. We met her in January, and knew straight away she would be fantastic! She adds a personal touch to everything! There is some delay with emails but her assistants are very good and will always get back to you. 

We are going back over in January to see her again and have most things booked and secured for our wedding, it has been so easy and stress free! She went out her way for us on our first meeting and cant wait to see her again! 

Good luck with you're planning!

x

• Katy74Katy74 Posts: 4

Hi @Emma577 @MrsEd2018 @Em88 @Karen181 @Roseanne2

Congratulations on your upcoming weddings in Portugal!

After planning my own wedding on the Algarve I realised how hard it was to get the finer details right, knowing where to source things, and struggling to transport all the personalised little touches..... I'm now splitting my time between the UK & Portugal and am looking at offering this service, helping brides as little or as much as they want to add the special finishing touches to their special days, exploiting my contacts and local knowledge of the area. So far this has included making batches of vodka gummy bears as favours and hand painting signs for the beach to name just a few!

Before I decide to bite the bullet and go for it properly I was looking for some feedback - do you think that this a service that you would consider using when planning your wedding abroad if you came across it while googling?

I really hope you can provide some feedback - & if you have any ideas you want to discuss that would be even better! Maybe I can offer some assistance!

K x

• Hi girls I was informed by my planner music at alba suites now needs to stop at 12 and room cleared by 1am??? I’m very annoyed cause when we booked noone informed us of this and now we need to change venue as we don't want to finish our party this early!! did your planners tell you anything about it? 

• Hi Sarah786

Yes our planner told us about that but also said you can play music on an ipod until 1am. (i think that's right?)

@em88 our inital wedding quote for 50 people at suites alba was around 10k but that is for everything. it will end up cheaper as we don't want many flowers or a cake. Would rather put money into a free bar for our guests. Also need to add on the dress, holiday etc onto that. Needless to say we've started saving! 

Katy74 i would use a service like that for the little touches though tbh if I'd employed a planner I'd expect them to look after that too

• Hi ladies, 

@MrsEd2018 we've booked suites Alba for 21st August 2018! Very excited now and planning to go to suites Alba next summer. It looks fantastic And I agree with you that it does look like a quaint village. Im now trying to sort invitations and give our guests as much time as possible to research flights & hotels. Are you staying at Alba for your whole holiday?

@em88 our beginning quote for 40 people was €8,500 for everything but the dress, suits & holiday. We've learned quickly that some things can be overpriced and we've opted not to have a video as it was priced at €1,500. You can definitely stick to a budget if you know what you want. And with ther scenery in Portugal I don't see the need for mountains of flowers or  decor that will add additional costs. 

• Katy74Katy74 Posts: 4

Hi Ladies @Emma577 @Sarah786 @Em88 @Karen181 @Roseanne2 & Thanks for your feedback @MrsEd2018

I've bitten the bullet & started to build a website www.finest-details.co.uk I understand what you mean - a wedding planner may do them for you, but a lot of the time they do the coordinating & not the actual hand making of the little details.

If any of you have any further feedback or suggestions, or want to discuss anything for your upcoming weddings, please get in touch!

K xx

• Mrs 2BMrs 2B Posts: 75

Hey ladies congrats on your up and coming weddings. I got married in Lagos in sept 2015!! All I can say is ur days will be amazing such a good choice to get married in the algarve.

i notice a few of you mmention Rebecca this is the planner we went with and she made an amazing job we loved our day and so did our guest all I would say Is beware of the communicatIon. We are STILL waitin on something bein sent back....a gift we were given on the day so really sentimental I can't stress how much we have been in touch, the whole communication between the team is shocking and I am so disappointed it has happened. This is just a bit of a heads up to try help others avoid the disappointment and frustrations of the after service 

• Hi Emma - how exciting we are getting married at the same place just 4 days apart. I've done nothing except book the date so far and now Christmas is out of the way i want to get cracking. i have an appointment at a bridal shop next sat to start trying on dresses. Though I'm IN LOVE with the Maggie Sottero Pia from the pics I've seen so I'm keen to try that one on. 
    We won't be staying at Suites Alba, it's way too expensive, plus we'll have loads of kids in our party. Am thinking of the Brisa Sol. There's about 65 of us in total! We'll stay at Alba on the wedding night and possibly the night after too as a little mini moon for ourselves. Are you using a wedding planner?
    Emma577 wrote (see post):

Hi ladies, 

@MrsEd2018 we've booked suites Alba for 21st August 2018! Very excited now and planning to go to suites Alba next summer. It looks fantastic And I agree with you that it does look like a quaint village. Im now trying to sort invitations and give our guests as much time as possible to research flights & hotels. Are you staying at Alba for your whole holiday?

@em88 our beginning quote for 40 people was €8,500 for everything but the dress, suits & holiday. We've learned quickly that some things can be overpriced and we've opted not to have a video as it was priced at €1,500. You can definitely stick to a budget if you know what you want. And with ther scenery in Portugal I don't see the need for mountains of flowers or  decor that will add additional costs. 

• Hi All,

I am also wedding planning for sept 2018 and love suites Alba. The setting is beautiful. 

We are also looking at Sonho A Dois as our wedding planner. Have already had a meeting and been sent a quote of 10,000 which includes absolutely everything. We got this quite within 3 days of meeting them where they had 2 days of full appointments in Manchester so met Many people.

We over estimated at 50 guests but can probably reduce this and take the videographer out which will take it down too. we have tried to speak to Rebecca also, we had one email reply, which from what I've heard from others must be an automatic reply. Emailed multiple times after this and heard nothing. This has just put us right off her. 

Have fun planning. 😃 Xx

• We are getting married in April at  Suites Alba and I cannot recommend Sonho a Dois enough! Carla has been absolutely amazing throughout the whole planning, she replies to my emails so quickly despite being really busy. No matter what questions or demands I have made she has provided answers straight away! Honestly cant imagine doing it without her!

• Please can anyone who has got married in Portugal help me?? 

We met with a wedding planner out there who showed us some beautiful venues but the one we want they are quoting 17k and that's for their services, hair makeup, food for 60 guests the civil service, full day photographer, ceremony music and 3 hour dj and this doesn't seem to include other extra which seems like a lot! Is this about right?