Forum home Weddings abroad

How much wine/champagne is enough?

I am having a weekend wedding celebration in he South of France in a beautiful villa and am unsure about quantities of drinks etc as I don't want to run out.  The caterer has suggested 60 bottles of wine for the meal and afterwards and 60 bottles of champagne for toasts (we will have just over 50 guests) And although that means each guest will technically have 2 bottles each which sounds sufficient, I'm worried that because it's over the whole day we will run out by night time and as it's in a villa there won't be a bar to buy any more.  Also thinking of supplying some beers/spirits/soft drinks but how do I know what people would drink without asking them?  Anyone else who is or has had a villa wedding/reception I would appreciate any feedback on how yours went or what you are planning 😁

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,015 New bride

I would definitley supply something other than wine. I'm not a wine drinker so without a bar I'd have to be on water all night! While you don't know what people drink, I would supply maybe a few bottles of spirits and a bunch of soft drinks. The soft drinks will cost very little to have a large range.

2 bottles of wine per guest sounds like a huge quantity to me. Does each guest really need their own bottle of champagne for the toast?? I would cut back on the wine and supply a wider range of beer, spirits and soft drinks.

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

Agree with sammy, are you buying from them?  

You should allow 2 and half glasses each which is roughly half a bottle.   People drink varying amounts!  

For 59 guests im having 12 bortles of sparkling wine and proving a pay bar so they can drink what they want. 

They will have pimms to go in or lemonade.  

• You definitely need to include beers/lagers too as not everyone is a fan of wine, and some spirits too for the evening. And nice soft drinks such as elderflower etc. You can use calculators that determine roughly how much alcohol you need, it obviously wont be 100% accurate but worth a look:

http://weddingdrinks.co.uk/ 

• Victoria197Victoria197 Posts: 722 New bride

We are getting married at a farmhouse in Tuscany for the whole weekend (Friday- Sunday night) we are being supplied with 24 bottles of red, 24 white, soft drinks. Plus on Friday 40 bottles of beer for our Pizza evening

We are supplying Gin, Whisky and Vodka plus a selection of mixers and 24 beers and 12 bottles of champagne.

We only have us and 11 guest.

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

Your average guest is gonna drink half a bottle of wine over the meal - so max 30 bottles for that. Plus more for the evening for those that will stick to wine (won't be everyone but some will). 

For the champers - will you be serving this pre meal as a reception drink as well? For toasting you get 6-8 glasses from a bottle of champagne (6 is a full glass - 8 is more your 'toasting' amount and not what you would pour yourself  ) - so if its just for toasting 8-10 bottles will be enough, if you'll be serving it before double that so maybe 20? 

I would them provide at least a lager plus an ale then a vodka, gin, whisky - have a think about what you usually see people drinking for the evening party - don't worry about brands too much as you'll never cater to everyone but who drinks beer and is it lager etc, who drinks what sprits. Plus a selection of soft drinks.

Is this for the caterer to provide? If so i would stick to the wine and champers for the meal based on the figures i've given and then buy the other stuff in yourself? would work out cheaper i imagine.

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

We are having 97 people 22 are children though so 75 adults. We are providing Pimms on arrival, have 24 bottles of sparkling wine for the toasts and then we have bought 96 bottles of wine half red half white and 96 beers half lager and half bitter. This better be enough im not made of money!!

• Thanks for the suggestions folks, I should have mentioned the guests from my side of the family are Scottish so might need slightly more than the average person lol!!

The wine/champagne is part of an optional package supplied by the owner of the villa, with this part of the wedding being in France and most of the guests French it seems this is usually all that is offered (and perhaps soft drinks for the children).   I have the option of ordering beers/spirits to add to the package or to just organise the alcohol myself as there isn't any corkage charge.  I might look into suppliers in the area and get costings, that way I can choose for myself, and I will definitely use the calculator suggestion for quantities.

ill definitely take your advice and add some sort of beer/lager as we are staying for a few days after the wedding too so will no doubt be consumed by my fiancé and his friends. 

Instead of having bottled spirits what's your thoughts on pre mixing a few jugs of cocktails?  I'm thinking maybe 2 types alcoholic and 2 types non alcoholic?  Just thinking this might look nicer on the tables than bottles of spirits and plastic soft drink bottles.  

I really appreciate the feedback here as we are having our wedding in Scotland and our weekend celebration the following weekend in France so need to organise twice as much and having never done it before, am totally lost!!

😊😊😊😊

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

I like the idea of cocktails - no one is going to expect a fully stocked bar once they know the type of venue. Signature cocktails are popular in american weddings where they often pay for all the drinks to make it simpler and cheaper - they tend to do 2 one for the bride and one for the groom. 

I would stick with the wine on the tables for the meal though and then maybe the cocktails for the evening / other times? just thinking 4 jugs plus wine plus water is gonna fill up the table pretty quick!

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,015 New bride

I've seen pimms and other cocktails pre mixed and put in those large glass jars with taps on the front and it looked really good! You could have them on a side table so people can help themselves whenever they want. You can also use those for soft drinks.

• sammyKate that's the things I was thinking of, after the meal there will be lots of areas around the villa, in front of the pool area, orchard area where there will be tables and wine barrels set up for people to relax and mingle so thinking I could have an area with drinks ready made in the large glass jars then a big ice bucket type thing full of bottles of beer so people can just help themselves.

most of the guests will be staying within walking distance and the bridal party/parents will be staying at the villa so probably a good idea to get a supply for the days after (thinking of a barbecue lunch type thing the day after) and if need be we can use that also

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

Drinks dispenser.  Plastic cheap ones in m and s for £15 or £17.50. image

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

I agree i would have something other than wine, but I don't believe you need tonnes of things either. My mum did her own bar for her wedding and she had wine, beers, cider and pimms plus soft drinks. Everyone had a great time.

I would definitely get more than people are suggesting as I think lots of the comments relate to welcomes and the reception but don't include amounts for the evening. If you aren't having a paid bar in the evening guests will probably drink more than the half a bottle of wine most venues estimate. 

• Lexi90 oh I forgot about cider, that would be a good option too.  I am thinking probably best to have too much than to run out as there won't be a back up cash bar for people to use.  At least half of the guests will be staying over the weekend in nearby villas/accommodation with the wedding party staying most of the week after so I suppose anything left over will be happily utilised in the few days after, we are thinking of maybe having an informal lunch/bbq type thing the day after where people can come spend time relaxing with us around the pool/villa.  I think my weekend will now be spent researching cocktail options 😁😁

i think a lot of the posts on here have missed that you have guests for the whole weekend and you will have to play hosts not just on the day. We have purchased more than we think we need for this very reason as we are in a farmhouse up a mountain if we run out I will be mortified as the nearest town with a shop is 25 minutes away. mis people are spending a few more days in Italy so what doesn't get drunk will be palmed off on them

• Victoria197 that's exactly my worry, and the location near Carcassonne is in a small town where shops/supermarkets close early during the day and don't open on a Sunday (the day after the wedding).  I'm definitely thinking the same as you, anything not used on the day/night will be used the next day at the lunch bbq or for our own use over the following few days before we go home. 

Initially I was concerned about quantities of wine but now Im thinking if I get a variety of beers/cider, wine, soft drinks and a few cocktails to offer it should suit everyone one way or another.

can I ask did you source the drinks supplier yourself or do you have a wedding planner/caterer organising it for you? 

I love Italy, such a beautiful country, I'm sure you'll have an amazing time 😁

we are the same, our town only has a small shop which whitch won't stock the variety.

Pour caterers are supplying almost everything as we are having a pizza night the night before and they are supplying all of the wine and beer. I havent got a full breakdown of costs but for 13 people, the pizza night, apperitivo, 4 courses, Liquors, all the wine, beer (Friday only), table and chair rental, staff, mobile kitchen etc it's costing 1800€, I had a separate budget for food and drinks but the total came into less than both combined and because of this I haven't quibbled to save a few euros. I probably would have it it was over what I could afford to spend.

We are stopping at a large supermarket the day before arrivals to purchase additional drinks, (we asked on our RSVPs what people drink) but I am not going over board, we are having a self service champagne and drinks bar for the weekend as  for the meal it's easy for waiting staff to walk round with just the wine offering red or white than taking orders. 

We are also doing farewell drinks on the Sunday night, so hopefully over the 3 days most will be gone

• Victoria that sounds amazing and exactly the kind of thing I'm going for just with slightly more guests.

thankfully the owner of the Villa has been really receptive to changing to suit what I envision and is happy to store drinks etc for us that we can order through vineyards/supermarkets beforehand and help us arrange things.  We are going over for a few night (free of charge) this summer to stay and have a look at where we want everything set up around the villa, and she will take us to some vineyards for tasting sessions etc.  

Pits all getting quite real now, don't know if I can stand to wait until next year lol!!!

• nicole18nicole18 Posts: 163 New bride
    Margaret34 wrote (see post):

I am having a weekend wedding celebration in he South of France in a beautiful villa and am unsure about quantities of drinks etc as I don't want to run out.  The caterer has suggested 60 bottles of wine for the meal and afterwards and 60 bottles of champagne for toasts (we will have just over 50 guests) And although that means each guest will technically have 2 bottles each which sounds sufficient, I'm worried that because it's over the whole day we will run out by night time and as it's in a villa there won't be a bar to buy any more.  Also thinking of supplying some beers/spirits/soft drinks but how do I know what people would drink without asking them?  Anyone else who is or has had a villa wedding/reception I would appreciate any feedback on how yours went or what you are planning 😁

Margaret hi!

I would buy the most common soft drinks and beers so that everyone could find something to drink.

Why don't you order one more bottle per guest ?