A wedding in the Gower

• Wowzers! The fairground stuff looks AMAZING!! Jealous you get to do it all whereas mine is over and done with... so much fun! I'm sure that will go down sooo well!

Peobably won't bother writing a report, no.. there are SO many little details that I think it would take forever to write one! Plus I wrote about it in my own journal anyway so that's enough for me :)  Might change my mind though! Was it you who was thinking about the BBQ? We did afternoon tea and then BBQ in evening and everyone was STUFFED - you get sooo much food and it's so yummy! Yes the DJ is appalling - he literally just sat there the whole night looking miserable and got the playlist wrong so in the end we plugged my husband's phone in! And he disappeared for the ONE announcement I asked him to make at the end of the night after the last song (announcing the sparkler send off) so I had to annonce it myself!! Got a full refund for him though. When I enquired initially, months ago, I was told I HAD to use the hotel's preferred DJ but f I were you I would negotiate that and a sax/DJ combo sounds awesome! Ahh you're going to have so much fun!! Can't get over how awesome the funfair thing looks! We hired crazy golf, but your stuff looks an absolute blast!! Enjoy the planning! 

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

Just caught up with your thread.

Your proposal sounds amazing and your dress is stunning (as is your venue)

Good luck living back with your parents and can't wait to read more xxx

• Georgina74Georgina74 Posts: 299 New bride
    Charlotte237 wrote (see post):

Wowzers! The fairground stuff looks AMAZING!! Jealous you get to do it all whereas mine is over and done with... so much fun! I'm sure that will go down sooo well!

Peobably won't bother writing a report, no.. there are SO many little details that I think it would take forever to write one! Plus I wrote about it in my own journal anyway so that's enough for me :)  Might change my mind though! Was it you who was thinking about the BBQ? We did afternoon tea and then BBQ in evening and everyone was STUFFED - you get sooo much food and it's so yummy! Yes the DJ is appalling - he literally just sat there the whole night looking miserable and got the playlist wrong so in the end we plugged my husband's phone in! And he disappeared for the ONE announcement I asked him to make at the end of the night after the last song (announcing the sparkler send off) so I had to annonce it myself!! Got a full refund for him though. When I enquired initially, months ago, I was told I HAD to use the hotel's preferred DJ but f I were you I would negotiate that and a sax/DJ combo sounds awesome! Ahh you're going to have so much fun!! Can't get over how awesome the funfair thing looks! We hired crazy golf, but your stuff looks an absolute blast!! Enjoy the planning! 

Crazy golf! that's such a cool idea! Thankyou so much for the info regarding the DJ i'm going down there this week and have a massive list of questions now!  I've had a quick look at our original contract and I think you're right about having to have the house DJ. It's included in our "midweek package" and doesn't look likely that we can change that. Were hoping to have sparklers too! Did you have them at the very end of the night as a "send off" or just as it got dark and then everyone back to the dance floor? I'd love the BBQ option for the main meal and then pizza buffet! But I don't think its offered as a proper sit down meal, we'll see! Sorry for bombarding you! ha!

• Georgina74Georgina74 Posts: 299 New bride
    ruthie1979 wrote (see post):

Just caught up with your thread.

Your proposal sounds amazing and your dress is stunning (as is your venue)

Good luck living back with your parents and can't wait to read more xxx

Thankyou ruthie1979! It's going fairly well so far, were a month in! (Not that i'm counting down the days! haha)

• Crazy golf! that's such a cool idea! Thankyou so much for the info regarding the DJ i'm going down there this week and have a massive list of questions now!  I've had a quick look at our original contract and I think you're right about having to have the house DJ. It's included in our "midweek package" and doesn't look likely that we can change that. Were hoping to have sparklers too! Did you have them at the very end of the night as a "send off" or just as it got dark and then everyone back to the dance floor? I'd love the BBQ option for the main meal and then pizza buffet! But I don't think its offered as a proper sit down meal, we'll see! Sorry for bombarding you! ha!

Oh yes we had a sparkler send-off! Just make sure you don't stand too close to the marquee - i think some of our guests alsmost burnt it down lol! 

Ooh I think you CAN have a BBQ for the sit down meal!! We were originally going to go for the package (no venue hire fee when you pay for wedding breakfast) but really wanted BBQ so enquired and they said they could change it for BBQ and give us dessert and exchange starter  for canapés! We ended up doing it a bit differently as worked out slightly cheaper but the venue is reeeeeally flexible so well worth asking if they can do EXACTLY what you want! When we booked they didn't have an afternoon tea option (they have added it since) but we asked if they could do it and they said yes! I think Oxwich is reasonably priced as far as weddings go and I bet you got a great midweek deal - mine wasn't on a Sunday so nothing extra was thrown in!! 

• ABtobeABtobe Posts: 44 New bride

Just read through your thread.. your wedding sounds amazing! I love that its right by the beach and the fair ground theme! All the games look great :)

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Loving the fair ground games! Fantastic!

• Flower Power!

After pining over the floral centrepieces/ venue decorations I'd seen online my mum suggested looking into artificial flowers and seeing if we could make something similar ourselves at a lower cost. We started off in dunelm mill, they did have a big range but were really expensive and were definitely geared more towards home decoration/plant etc.

I got a great bargain in poundland, 3 glass bottle vases tied together with hessian for a pound (obviously) I bought 5 but now i'm kicking myself and should  have bought a lot more! I'll be using these to go along the top table I'd imagine.

Our next stop was the Range and it was like christmas came early! I first found a big glass jar/vase with a rope handle and rope wrapped around the bottom which I thought really tied in with the rustic theme and then we found lots of beach ornaments. I was so excited! We had everything pulled off the shelves and took over the aisle making mock up table pieces.

The flowers were much better suited in the range aswell, I found a lovely blush coloured rose bouquet which were £4.99 per bunch and a really beautiful white/ivory bouquet of peonies which also has lots of greenery/foliage to bulk it out at £5.99. I also got some smaller, less detailed foam roses in pink and ivory, these were only around £2 a pack for 8 and will do for basic decorations.  I couldn't get all the bouquets and vases I needed in this branch so went to the one in Newport the following day and ended up ordering some online.

I put it all together on the dining table when we got home and i'm over the moon with how they've turned out!!

I also picked up an artificial grass fence covering thing (can't think of the name!) which i'm going to put some of the small foam roses in and create a DIY photobooth/backdrop to hang in the front of the marquee.

On the whole, it certainly wasn't as cheap as i'd hoped but I have saved compared to hiring the venue dresser and I am IN LOVE with how they've turned out. They are perfect for the theme, beachy but not too over the top/tacky. 

We are now the proud owner of around 400 artificial flowers, 10 huge vases and lots of beach themed ornaments so although it was over budget I can look to sell these bits after the wedding to make some money back rather than hiring.

So here's the one i made up and all the beachy ornaments for the different tables!

We're also going to have a long arrangement along the top table like this but with the same roses/peonies.

• Birthday at Oxwich! 

It was my birthday yesterday, D booked us to stay at our wedding venue the night before, it was a lush day so we sat on the beach for a couple of hours and had a few ciders and a dip in the sea!

We got ready and went down to dinner, we thought we'd be in the normal restaurant but we're led through to the cosy, romantic room which is where our actual wedding ceremony will be held! What's more is our table was set up directly where we will be stood when we say our vows...it was amazing but at first I felt a bit uneasy about it and talked the poor waiters ear off whilst he was serving our prosecco haha! 

The food was amazing, we LOVE being up there!

I was also treated to a lovely spa day/ afternoon tea with my mum, Nan, 2 aunties and 3 of my friends, then onto a local pub where I had far too much wine! 

This is exactly where we'll be stood in 1year and 2days time saying I DO! 

imageThe hotel from the beach 

The centrepieces look fab! The flowers are very pretty. 

Lucky you spending your birthday at Oxwich! 

• Suits!

We popped into Slaters in Swansea the other day just to get some ideas of what D would like to go for. He's been in Moss Bros with a mate and had apparently seen a suit he liked. We had a look around the wedding hire section etc but nothing stood out.

I'm glad we went in as it showed we were on the same wave length, obviously it's D's decision but as he hasn't made ANY fashion choices in the last 5 years we've been together I was a bit worried!

Turns out we both went over to the same suit and D tried it on. I could tell he really loved it and its only £110 to buy! It's far too early to be buying suits and as its a slim fit I'm not sure whether it would be suitable for all the groomsmen, especially as were hoping our father's will be in the same one.

We'll come back to looking at suits further into next year but was nice to get an idea!

they only had a pink shirt available to try on but obviously this will be white and D wasn't keen on the tie/ pocket square so will probably just go with colours to match bridesmaids for groomsmen and maybe an Ivory for D. 

• Left or Right?!

Oxwich is a small village, with only one small junction (left or right) on a small single track lane. As you approach the junction the sat nav sends you to the right, even though the sign post clearly states hotel to the left... despite this ourselves and all our family members have blindly followed the sat nav (who uses sign posts these days?!) and ended up stuck in a small cul de sac asking residents for directions.

Simple solution:

Hehe, i'm easily amused!

• Hotel nightmare

This week I recieved an email from the venue advising us of changes to take place from 01.01.18. Guests are unable to check in to the hotel until 2pm (understandable i guess) but the cottages, garden pods and static caravans (Which i was anticipating putting most guests in as it's a bit cheaper for them)  cannot check in until 4pm!

This is frustrating because half the guests will leave during the drinks reception to check in and therefore won't get use out of the funfair etc and the other half will be checking in just before we're sitting down for dinner and will either miss speeches etc or will delay them!

Also we will only have access to one room from 11.30am earliest so where am I supposed to get ready?! the ceremony is booked for 1pm. 

It's not possible to stay the night before because there is also a wedding on that day AND to top it all off we do not have the complimentary bridal suite on the night of our wedding because it is "unavailable" (Im assuming the bride/groom from the day before has booked to stay the extra night)

This has led to mass panic with both of our parents and now they've booked all the families into the village hotel (swansea) the night before the wedding.

I'm thinking of booking a cottage in oxwich on airbnb for myself and my bridesmaids to get ready in in the morning and to book a wedding car to arrive at the venue but this wasn't the plan, I was assured I would have room to get ready at the hotel the morning of my wedding.

To be fair, I haven't yet spoken to the venue about this... just vented to family (and learnt not to do so in the future as everybody can stress 10x more than me!) I'll be calling them sometime this week.

• Hen Party!!!

At the beginning, when i first asked my girls if they'd be my bridesmaid they immediately set about making elbarote, *secret* hen party plans!

I wanted to have some input and be involved in the planning stages etc so we all put ideas together and came up with lots of weird and woderful options, over the last few months we've wittled it down and decided bristol would be perfect, we found a hotel right in the centre, a spa with an ideal package, the prices were reasonable etc

Then i went to a wedding fayre last weekend and found Llety Cynin. A big old coach house converted into a B&B with its own spa pool, sauna, jacuzzi etc. They have specific packages for hen parties so as long as there are at least 10 (there's rooms available for up to 27) you have sole access to the whole house, spa etc.

I think its perfect! We will arrive on the Friday night, all be in our jammies with lots of wine etc, use the spa all day saturday and then we can go out sat night, either camarthen which is the closest, tenby (about 25mins away) or swansea (about 40mins away)

Luckily the girls all loved the idea so we've booked it and i'm now keeping out of the way and letting them get on with the rest!

We've got for a catered package, £129pp which included breakfast, lunch and dinner each day and we're adding on afternoon tea at £12pp.

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Your hen do sounds fab and fantastic value too, Hope you have a great time.

The Hen sounds fab. 

Did you manage to speak to the venue? 

• Thanks MrsS85 and FutureMrsThomas! I'm so excited, shame it's 9 months away! Maybe we could a test run this year just to check it out! haha

I haven't spoken to the venue yet, the email did say they'd call within the week, which they haven't so it'll be a job for my day off on wednesday.

I've been looking at wedding cars this week which is making getting ready elsewhere seem a little more exciting but i'm nervous that I won't be at the venue in the morning and therefore have absolutely no control if anything goes wrong in terms of dressing the marquee etc... just my control freak side coming out i guess! (to be fair, I know there would be nothing  I could do, I can't leave halfway through my make up to put a centrepiece together even if i was just upstairs!)

After thinking about it this week, I might be more relaxed staying elsewhere and leaving everything to the boys, I'll just have to make some DETAILED notes! The other thing that panicks me is that I am making ( and therefore assembling at the venue) my own wedding cake but that's a story for another day lol

I toyed with the idea of staying at the venue the night before but I really want to leave from my parents house. 

I'm going to be writing detailed instructions for the centrepieces/decorations. 

Oh goodness, I've just realised when you go on your hen I will be married!! 

• Thanks WildflowerBride that does make me feel better! They do seem to have a wedding on every other day so must know what they're doing, still doesn't stop me from panicking though ha! All dealings so far with the venue have been perfect aside from the Email, I am yet to contact them as we're arranging to go back up at the end of the month and plan to meet with the wedding team.

• I have a wedding dress!

Well, I don't.. but I have officially been measured and the dress is on order! It's due to arrive in June so only 8months to patiently wait!

I had my appointment yesterday and tried the dress back on, I wasn't feeling great as I had to have an emergency tooth extraction an hour beforehand after being in agony all weekend but I still LOVED the dress and didn't want to take it off. The actual dress has now been bought so technically I was trying on someones wedding dress which I felt a bit strange about!

Originally I had a lovely sparkly belt with it, I really like the belt but not 100% sure on it so we're going to wait until the dress comes in to decide whether to go for it or not.I really want to lose some weight and I think I'm using the belt as a bit of a distraction from my tum so will have to see what it looks like next year. The sample dress is 2 sizes too small which isn't great for my body confidence but I love every about the dress!

It's SO exciting that the next time I try on a wedding dress it will be mine! The very dress that I will be walking down the aisle in! Nuts!

I took my mum and nana with me to the appointment and we had lunch afterwards (not the best idea after having a tooth pulled out!) Then mum wanted to visit a shop that had been recommended for mother of the bride outfits.

They had some amazing dresses, mum was in her element! She tried a couple on but the lady advised us to come back in January as that is when they have their 12monthly delivery and will have the best choice, so that's what we'll do!

My mother is genuinely the worst photographer and most of the photos I have of me in the dress are at a terrible angle or blurry. I was disappointed last time as I was stood on a box and the bottom of the dress/train wasn't shown properly so made sure I got a better one this time! After all, this is all I've got to look at for 8 months before it comes in!

• Veil

Thought I'd just mention that I haven't chosen a veil yet! The first time I had the dress on I thought I liked a heavy laced edge fingertip one but looking back I think it detracts from the lace in the dress. I was saying I liked the fingertip length only because I didn't want a heavy veil hiding the lovely laced hem of the dress but really I did want a long veil.

So I've decided that I want a plain soft tulle chapel length that just runs down the back of the dress and will hopefully look flowy and light and catch the wind.

I've had samples of tulle from Blossom&Bluebird (Etsy) and will be ordering the chapel length soft english tulle in Ivory. I was waiting until the appointment yesterday to see if they had anything that suited. There was a chapel length Italian tulle (same as in the picture above but the floor length rather than fingertip) but it still felt stiff compared the the English and was coming in at over £100 more.

• Bridesmaids

I tried on some bridesmaid dresses myself in Debenhams which I really liked, but when I looked further into them I realised how popular they've been this year, one of my bridesmaids even wore it to her sisters wedding (in a different colour.)image

It did put me off a bit, then I saw this dress on a wedding report on here! I love the dress SO much, but it was a bit over budget (small budget as there is 6 BMs) I also showed the girls and none of them seemed particularly overwhelmed and said they didn't think they were practical.... who needs practicality in a sparkly dress?! Haha

Anyways, back to the drawing board... I got a 25% code for LittleMistress so started looking at the original dress more closely... half of me is on the wavelength that it is popular for a reason and I love the top beaded part of the dress, it is very flattering and I'm actually the first out of my friendship group to get married so it's probably only me (and BM A who has worn the dress previously

I've ordered 5 of them in different sizes and will see what the girls think when they come in... I've also ordered this dress... I love the colour of this one but prefer the style of the first... fingers crossed they like one of them when they arrive!

• Wibs77Wibs77 Posts: 414

I am loving your planning thread. Your dress is amazing and a beach wedding wow 

• Aw thanks Wibs77... I'm really glad I started a planning thread! It's surprisingly fun/theraputic to write everything down!

• The bridesmaid dress have arrived!

Very pleased with LittleMistress! The delivery was very quick and the dresses seem to be of really good quality and packaged well.

Turns out the dresses are identical in colour, darker than I thought but I really like it! The colour perfectly matches the flowers I have for my centrepieces! 

I really like both dresses so will leave it up to the girls to decide which one! (hopefully they like one of them between them) If i had to pick one myself I'd choose the halterneck style as I think it's a slightly more flattering fit and has more of a summery/beachy feel to it.

I have 2 girls coming tomorrow and 2 of them later in the week, my cousin has moved to London for fashion college so she'll have to try it on next time she's home.

I also have a 10yo bridesmaid, I've spent ages trying to find a dress I can get it a short version and have it tailored to her so that she can be the same as the adult bridesmaids but just decided in the end to have them in seperate dresses. I quite like this dress and although the colour doesn't match I think it will blend quite well and it is much more age appropiate and probably more comfortable for her to wear during the day. I'm going to wait until the adult girls are happy with their dress before ordering/arrange hers.

• Giving Notice

Also! We have our appointment at our local registery office on Thursday to give notice of marriage! Think this is going to be a definite "oh shit its real!" moment for both of us!!

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 820 New bride

Ooh I love your dress, you look gorgeous in it. Also love the bridesmaids dresses and your venue is beautiful. Did you resolve the issue with the new check in times and your getting ready suite? 

• Thanks VegasLou! I’ve just been reading your thread! The bellagio looks incredible and your dress is amazing! We’re hoping to include vegas in our trip after the wedding, you’re definitely selling it to me! 

Havent really resolved the issue as I’ve missed the wedding team every time I’ve called, although not sure the issue even lies with them! I’ve calmed down over the check In times now but still really disappointed to not have the bridal suite.

The bridesmaid dresses are very pretty x Oldest daughter is 12 and is wearing the first bridesmaid dress to her dads wedding in a few weeks. She hates it! Lol. I personally like the dress but understand why you are looking at the monsoon dress for your younger bridesmaid. I felt the Little Mistress dress was too old for my oldest daughter but I can’t say anything. (Oldest daughter doesn’t like the dress as she has to wear a strapless bra).