October 2018 - An Unconventional London Wedding

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316

LOVE your dress and shoes (especially the shoes - I want the shoes) - and thank you for the dog at a wedding. 

Bit random but I just found this and thought you might be interested if you're still looking at readings...

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2017/10/wedding-thoughts-all-i-know-about-love.html 

• I got home from work and my shoes had arrived. HOORAY. Excellent work from Harrods as they had given me a timeline of 3-5 days and it took two. 

I love them and am so very happy with them. They are so sparkly in the flesh too. 

Also, lifting your legs above your head for ten minutes while you try and take a decent photo is an excellent core workout. 

• FLOWERS II

I mentioned before that A has a family friend who used to be a florist, and still does freelance work every now and again for weddings. When we got engaged she offered to help with our flowers and we leapt at the opportunity.

We're lucky in that our venue provides all our venue flowers as part of our package. All we need to do is give them our preferences and colour scheme and they do the rest. When we went for our tasting they had some really lovely displays with reddish purple lilies, gladioli and lots of pretty foliage so I'm confident that I don't need to worry there. So we only need bouquets, boutonnieres and a corsage put together.

I put together a list of inspiration pictures for her, and she got back to us today and said what I'm looking for is something called a meadow bouquet. I googled meadow bouquets and she is correct, they are exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for - colourful and wild looking.

Luckily it turns out that these type of flowers are her speciality which made me extremely happy. She has come back with loads of ideas, including adding fragrant herbs to the bouquet which immediately appealed to me and was something I hadn't even considered. I love the idea of adding sage and rosemary. She is going to go away and come back with some ideas of style and flowers, as I told her that I wasn't bothered about specific flowers being used. My only stipulations were bright colours and a loose, less structured arrangement.

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 820 New bride

The shoes are beautiful and yay to the core workout as well! Love your flower inspo, very pretty. 

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,486 New bride

Love the shoes!

• Just caught up on your thread - loving the sound of all of it! your shoes are gorgeous - I'm a blue shoe wearer too but mine are not D&G sadly - I just dyed them blue :-) 

fab colours going on in your flowers inspo 

• Been reading your thread with a cuppa today, love it. In particular, I'm in love with your shoes!!

Looking forward to hearing more :) x

• I love your thread!! You get married a day after me so exciting that we're at the year to go mark! Your shoes, venu and dress are beautiful! Can't wait to read more!

• Oh yay, how exciting to have AlmostMrsL the day before and MrsHowgate2B the day after! There are so many October brides on this forum - is an October wedding the new summer wedding? I like to think so! 

• weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

Oh yay, how exciting to have AlmostMrsL the day before and MrsHowgate2B the day after! There are so many October brides on this forum - is an October wedding the new summer wedding? I like to think so! 

I like to think so too! I mean who can argue with the beautiful autumnal scenery. I love all the colours of the trees! Will make for some gorgeous photos.

• MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,381 New bride
    AlmosttMrsL wrote (see post):
    weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

Oh yay, how exciting to have AlmostMrsL the day before and MrsHowgate2B the day after! There are so many October brides on this forum - is an October wedding the new summer wedding? I like to think so! 

I like to think so too! I mean who can argue with the beautiful autumnal scenery. I love all the colours of the trees! Will make for some gorgeous photos.

I think so too except our colours are more summer than autumn lol. Don’t even know why we chose October. I think it’s because I wanted to have time to save up to have the dream wedding. I can’t wait for all our wedding reports 😁

Happy one year to go! We’re actually date twins as I got the dates wrong 😂😂😂 This time next year we will be waking up knowing by the end of it we will be a Mrs and no longer a Miss!!

• MrsHowgate2B wrote (see post):

Happy one year to go! We’re actually date twins as I got the dates wrong 😂😂😂 This time next year we will be waking up knowing by the end of it we will be a Mrs and no longer a Miss!!

Ah I'm actually getting married on the 27th, but this Saturday is exactly a year to go. In half an hour next year I'll be getting married! 

• weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

I’m getting married on the 25th October. I’m surprised so many of us are getting married around then!

• My stay at Hotel 41 was AMAZING, and a really lovely way to celebrate a year to go before we get married. The customer service was impeccable and everyone made such an effort to make things special for us.

We were greeted with pink champagne and nibbles in front of the fire when we checked in and later when we got back to our room after dinner, the staff had lit tea lights, scattered rose petals, left classical music playing and left us a cake saying congratulations. 

We also got complimentary champagne with breakfast in the morning, and then when we checked out we found out that they had comped around £75 worth of wine and cocktails for us that we had the night before, which was hugely appreciated. I would recommend this place to anyone - its not cheap but the food, drinks and service were all fantastic. 

• Also when I got back my headband from Tantrums & Tiaras had arrived! This was a total bargain, in the sale reduced from £150 to £50. The detail is incredible: 

I'm really happy with it!

• Your hotel stay looks amazing!!! Headband is so beautiful! Looks fab, 

My save the dates and invitations are here and I love them. 

The only criticism I have is that the save the date envelope is a light steel blue rather than a teal so they don't really match but I'm not bridezilla enough to properly care. It's only the save the dates - it'll do! 

• We have just put a deposit down on our honeymoon! This is the most exciting part of the wedding as far as I'm concerned and I'm so happy to have it booked. The plan was to book it mega in advance (11 months before!) so that we have time to save up and pay most of it off by the wedding.

We're off to the Seychelles for 16 days (two days of travel and 14 days of actual holiday). We're visiting three islands and I can't wait to stalk giant tortoises:

We knew we wanted to see multiple islands as there is so much to see in the Seychelles that aren't the stunning beaches (although we plan to spend time on these too!). We were looking for the opportunity to see the local wildlife, go traipsing through the rainforest and experience some of the amazing natural wonders and national parks.

We originally wanted the max luxury private pool experience, but when we got our quotes back we realised that if we wanted to island-hop like we had originally planned, we'd end up paying double our original budget. It appears that with the Seychelles you get a greater discount for longer stays, and we knew we didn't want to do the whole two weeks in one place. Cue a drastic reordering of priorities!

We're now spending 5 days in a Deluxe Oceanview Room at L'Archipel on Praslin:

4 days in a Garden Villa at Le Domaine de L'Orangeraie on La Digue

and 5 days in a Beachfront King Villa at Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa on Silhouette.

We almost stumped for a private pool here as the rates weren't too bad, but it would have meant a hillside pool villa (at an extra £600), rather than a beach front villa (the beach front pool villas were an extra £1600), and we felt it was more important to be close to the beach than to have a pool, so we passed.

We ended up booking with Turquoise. We did look at a bunch of other travel agents, but Turquoise offered the best prices for what we wanted (one of the other agents we contacted quoted £3k more for a similar itinerary!). Turquoise have been excellent so far and really quick to respond to emails. I would definitely recommend them.  

Can you tell how excited I am by the amount of pictures?

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Wow! I have missed so much! 

The flowers are going to look amazing! Love the colours. 

Your head accessory is gorgeous, wow! 

I am very jealous of your honeymoon. Fantastic! 

• vinitavinita Posts: 33

Well, I had gone out with the guy and while we didn't really do anything special, it was the way he was acting with me that made it romantic. I didn't really appreciate it at the time but it was still romantic.

Honeymoon looks amazing. We’re not having a honeymoon unfortunately. The funds won’t stretch that far 😟

• MrsHowgate2B wrote (see post):

Honeymoon looks amazing. We’re not having a honeymoon unfortunately. The funds won’t stretch that far 😟

We're very lucky that most of our wedding is being paid by our extremely generous parents, so we have the majority of the budget that we were going to spend on our wedding to spend on our honeymoon.

I think its quite common for people now not to be able to afford a honeymoon after their wedding - its a large cost when you've already got all that expense. I think we're in the minority out of our friends that we're going away immediately after. Can you both take some time off work afterwards and have a relax at home and enjoy being married? I think that would be a nice thing to do!

• In other news I have ordered my wedding ring! I always knew it was going to be a bit of a pain as my engagement ring is quite large and I didn't want a gap between the bands.

I'm actually getting it from Etsy, from an Indian jeweller with pretty much universal 5 star reviews. 

I contacted the seller after I saw a custom ring-guard design that they did for someone else which I thought was amazing.

I am all about the drama when it comes to rings - nothing understated or simple for me!

They mocked up how it would look for me after I sent through a picture of my ring and I LOVE it. 

So I am getting two rings (lol) in white gold, which will wrap around my engagement ring to create a halo effect. The original was one ring, but I prefer the flexibility of being able to change things up and wear one or both depending on how I feel.

weatherwaxe wrote (see post):
    MrsHowgate2B wrote (see post):

We're very lucky that most of our wedding is being paid by our extremely generous parents, so we have the majority of the budget that we were going to spend on our wedding to spend on our honeymoon.

I think its quite common for people now not to be able to afford a honeymoon after their wedding - its a large cost when you've already got all that expense. I think we're in the minority out of our friends that we're going away immediately after. Can you both take some time off work afterwards and have a relax at home and enjoy being married? I think that would be a nice thing to do!

I’ve asked for 3 weeks off work. Not sure about Andrew just yet. We would like to go away even for a few days but we don’t have anyone to look after my youngest daughter to enable us to x

• Oh my goodness your wedding ring design is gorgeous!!

• Lexie2017 wrote (see post):

I am having a central London wedding too so I'm curious to find out where you're going to end up! There are so many fabulous and unusual venues.

Lexie - have you found venue yet? I’m looking for one near st.Pauls... any advice would be great xx

• I got married 2 months ago, Newbie2this - we chose St Pancras Station. Tower Bridge could be an option, or the Gherkin?

Love the hairband, weatherwaxe, that is totally gorgeous and I'm very envious of your dark hair that shows off the sparkles. And the wedding rings - utterly gorgeous!

• Tomorrow I'm going back to hopefully buy my wedding dress. My mum is flying into London for the briefest of visits (slightly less than 24hrs) and she will finally see my dress.

She is paying for my dress and I didn't want to order it before she had a chance to see it in person. I've been really good and haven't spoiled the surprise by showing her a picture, even though the temptation was very strong.

I've been having the briefest of wobbles about it, but I looked at pictures of myself in it last night and my face in the pictures tells me that I'm being an idiot. I can't wait to try it on again. I've ordered a blue petticoat from Lindybop to take with me to try on. It's slightly annoying as its too big and Lindybop don't do exchanges and you have to pay for return postage.

So not only would I have to pay to return it, I'd also have to pay delivery fees again which puts me off ordering another one in another size.

I'm also going to take my shoes with me, so I can see what they look like with the dress. I'm all nervous excited about it.