Thank you card etiquette

MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I had always planned to make a note of which guest gave which gift when opened our cards and presents so we could thank them personally.

Unfortunately, I completely forgot to do it! I do remember a lot of people who gave us a gift, and what it was, but there’s also quite a few I just can’t remember, and a some gifts were left in bags with no names on so we have no idea who gave us them.

When we get our photos back I’m planning on ordering some thank you cards, but I don’t know what to do about saying thank you, would a general verse saying thanks for attending and for all the gifts and contributions be ok?

Its not exactly the hand written personal thank you Id planned but I’m not really sure what else I can do!

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

I think that would be absolutely fine!  I don't think I get many cards saying thank you for a specific item, more just a general thanks.  I don't think anyone would be offended!  I've attended lots of weddings where I haven't even got a thank you card afterwards.

• A general thanks is fine! If you know what they got you then personalising it is a lovely touch but no one will blame you for not keeping track of every single thing. When I've received thank you cards after weddings, it has always been a generic thanks x

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,471 New bride

I have to confess, I am the person who wrote 80-odd personalised thank you letters after our engagement party so I am probably a little bit biased.  It is hard when you don't know who has purchased what, but I do think something personal goes a long way and makes people think that you have made the effort.  When I have had these, it has made me smile, and appreciate them a lot more, whereas the generic ones I feel are just a "I had to" 

Maybe if you don't know/remember then say something personal about the day that relates to them?  

• MrsR17MrsR17 Posts: 95 New bride

I had to just assume that if you gave me a card there is a high chance it came with a gift. 

We had on the inside printed Thank You and then I wrote a message, mostly a generic 'Thanks so much for your gift and spending our day with us'.

Some I did say stuff like, you had some great moves on the dance floor, or your personalised wedding card was fantastic, thanks for your help on the day etc. I did feel it more personal to hand write it and had a lot of lovely txts thanking us for making it personal.