A Bright & Whimsical Northumberland Wedding Aug 2018

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 856 New bride

Since we're hoping to do a Polaroid scavenger hunt anyway as table plan / activity during cocktail hour - I'm thinking for guest book instead of trying to think of something super different we could just get the guests to take a selfie Polaroid and sign the back then we can just keep them in the photo album with our wedding photos.

Do balloons look cheap?? I don't know. I'm really struggling to picture how everything will look all together, I can imagine individual elements but not the overall day. I worry there won't be enough decor and it'll fall flat. Like we just want this wedding to have high impact drama and be jaw dropping beautiful.

I like the idea of a temporary tattoo station because I had thought of them as favours but it wasn't cost effective. Also since I'm making 1000 paper cranes for the wedding anyway maybe some origami boxes or something geometric would be good for table decor, or maybe even place names or favours somehow???

I'm also getting worried about the fact that we can't go in and set it up ourselves, the venue do it all, an hour before the wedding! So I'm thinking obviously they won't get it done in time and it won't look like how I want it to look and ahhhh it's panicking me that I won't see any of it until I'm walking down the aisle.

imageimageimage

• Balloons will look however you want them too :) 

dont worry about the venue, yours won’t be their first or last rodeo, gtneu know how to get weddings set up ASAP, set up a table at home and take a picture print it off and send it with your decor and a detailed list of how u want things to be. 

Also, I’ve heard so many people say (and I know from my first wedding) you really won’t mind on the day, don’t sweat the small stuff - the day will be amazing cos you and your h2b are getting married :) 

• Barbie3Barbie3 Posts: 340 New bride

its gonna be fine.  Our wedding is the week after you and we haven't even begun to think about decorations yet.... your going to drive urself nuts worrying about it already, just trust ur plan x

Thank you guys!

Afterallthistime way ahead of you! I'm gonna set up prototype tables at home and take photos, and then anotate them, and acompany them with lists of instructions and probably drawings and tablescape design layouts like blueprints.

I've also made this just to make the cohesion of the colour scheme more understandable

Good lord there's this one woman (E) at our venue who I think must have been dropped as a baby. Everyone else is great but for some reason she just doesn't read emails properly.

When we booked the venue we were sent a copy of the contract attached to an email and I asked for a signed copy to be sent out to us and the woman was like yeah of course! Then E took over and was like "hi please find attached a copy of your contract" and I was like... Yes you've already sent me that? The other woman said you'd send out a hard copy?

So they did and I didn't think anything of it but she's done it again?!

When we viewed our venue they told us they dress the venue for us but they don't have the ladders or insurance to go up ladders to hang things from the beams in the barn so we're welcome to hire professionals in to do that. So I emailed them and asked them to recommend me some venue dressers they've worked with before who could just hang things from the beams. And since I've seen images of things hung from the beams, SOMEONE must have done it lol E replied saying "we'll be happy to do that for you, however we can't hang things from the beams and don't know anyone who can ".

...we'll do it for you but we can't do it for you? What?? And how can they not know?

We were also told they have candles and lanterns we could borrow so I asked what sizes they are and how many and E replied saying "they're black".... WHAT??

I'm getting really irritated actually at constantly having to repeat myself when it takes a couple days for them to reply in the first place.

Order of the Day...

8.30 - Breakfast with my mum and maids in the big house we're staying in the night before.

9.00 - Get ready (with lots of prosecco!)

11.30 - Matty and groomsmen arrive at the venue 

12.00 - Guests arrive at the venue 

12.15 - Set off to the venue 

12.25 - Arrive with my mum and maids!

12.30 - Ceremony begins 

1.00 - Photographs 

1.30 - Canapés, drinks, bouncy castle, photo scavenger hunt, chilling in the sun 

4.00 - Wedding breakfast 

6.00 - Speeches and drinks 

7.00 - Evening guests arrive 

7.15 - Cut the cake 

7.20 - First dance 

7.25 - Family dance with our son 

7.30 - DISCO!

9.30 - Evening food 

12.00 - Gan Yem Man! 

Supplier appointments...

We're going up to Northumberland on the 14th to meet with Fleur Couture Floral Design and also Zoe Emilie! I've managed to convince OH to go with zoe and I'm so excited. I think with the engagement shoot we'll both wear mustard yellow and use one of the photos in our official invites :)

So my pink fluffy heels are the most amazing thing ever but I only want to wear them for the ceremony and planned to wear flat sandals after for the rest of the day. I was just thinking gold gladiators until I saw this picture and now I'm thinking obviously if it's extra, I want it. So I might try to make something like this???

Make up (part two)...

I found these inspiration photos on instagram today and now I'm thinking about glueing flowers to my face...

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Just as a random note, if I have a big spot or something - compeed blister plasters would work great to cover it up!

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

WOW they are amazing (the flower eyes!) but I'm not sure I could cope with them! They would certainly have the wow factor xxx

I don't think it would bother me and I'm definitely going for wow factor! the more over the top and extra the better 

So I think we're going to do away with favours... It's just an unnecessary expense for us!

• Just catching up on your thread. I love your make-up/hair ideas and I think the flower eyes will look amazing! Certainly have the Wow factor and will go really well! x

• I think they look good but not for all day. People only put that stuff on for the insta shot and take it straight off again. I bet it would be very uncomfortable/irritating wearing for an hour let alone a whole day! 

• Miaow8690Miaow8690 Posts: 298

I think those flower eyes would look awesome - perhaps for the ceremony and photos and then more relaxed for the reception?

• Fiona156Fiona156 Posts: 1

There is an event on at Boiler Shop in Newcastle next week www.aweddinglessordinary.net- some alternative suppliers there and bringing trees into the venue for a mini woodland!

Wow thanks for the advice guys 😊

I think yall are right on the button with the ceremony/photos suggestion then taking it off for the reception! I want to be comfortable and I've already sacrificed that with my fishtail gown haha!

I'll definitely look into that event as we're in Northumberland next weekend meeting a florist!

I went to primark yesterday, I bought a Bride t-shirt and swimsuit. I'm not sure why... I have nowhere in mind to wear them... My hen do will be at least a year away and it's not been planned yet, and on the morning if the wedding I'm gonna wear a big comfy dressing gown... Maybe I can just wear it every day until I get married??

Entertainment...

So we've got a 2.5 hour long cocktail hour... During which there will be a bar and canapés, a photo scavenger hunt, the guest book to fill out, and we've hired the bouncy castle but I'm wondering if it's enough?

So I'm thinking of making a photo area under the steps up to the brewery, a nice backdrop and the typical props by this is ££ dependant. A b&m just opened up next to my house which might make this possible. They also sell garden arches for a tenner!! So I could use that for the photos.

There's about 6 picnic benches outside where I'm hoping everyone will be chilling during the drinks reception anyway, in the sun with some music playing just hanging out. But I thought just for an extra small something putting little games out like a deck of cards, dominoes, guess who? That kind of thing.

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

All your plans sounds lovely, You have such great ideas and I am sure you will execute them all to perfection. Good luck with your weight loss and the rest of your planning.

Thank you!

Speaking of weight loss I feel so disheartened. For the first time in my life I've taken exercise seriously and yet I've stayed exactly the same weight.

I keep looking at pictures before I got pregnant and wanting to cry 

imageimage

How long have you been following your exercise regime? Its a silly cliché but it just takes time. Last summer I had exams and for the first time in my life I hated my shape. I ate rubbish and did no exercise, lived on caffeine and barely slept. I didn’t get any heavier but all my muscle just turned to unhealthy jelly. Not the same as pregnancy I agree but seriously, I didn’t even look like the same person!!

Anyway, point of all this is that it’s taken me until now to be back to my healthy shape and for my muscles to be back! That’s 9 months of effort.

Now ok I havent been caning it and committing every day so for you it will probably go quicker. But it will take time. It WILL happen if you commit to a healthy lifestyle (no diet required!) and regular exercise. I promise!! One day you’ll just wake up and look in the mirror and think « I’m back! » 

Dont get disheartened. I thought I’d never get back to me, but I did. You definitely will too!

P.s. I hope that didn’t sound patronising?!?! 😬 It was supposed to be supportive but I’m not sure it sounds the same when you read it on a screen!

Tell you what, imagine me speaking in that really earnest voice that people use after 1 and a half drinks, right at the point where they love everyone and just before they start crazy dancing. 😜 

Haha don't worry it didn't sound patronising!

It's just tough with the little one I can't go out and run so cardio just isn't happening despite that being what I need. I'm just doing stuff like stomach crunches, jumping jacks, step ups, push ups.

The summer should help because I naturally want to eat lighter.

So much wedmin! (Part one)

So we've had a full weekend. We went up to Newcastle on Saturday and met with Fleur Couture Floral Design owner, Hollie. She was absolutely lovely and we got on really well. We have a lot in common! Matty was bored out of his mind but let me take the lead occasionally chipping in.

She talked us through the whole venue and we constructed a wishlist of everything we wanted if money were no object. Then she made an itemised list of costs so we could pick and mix what we can afford.

So if we go with them we'll get:

Large, shower style bouquet - £85

Grooms buttonhole - £7.50

4 groomsmen buttonholes - £18 (£6 each)

Yellow rose petals for the flower babies to scatter - £10

Foliage garlands for the barn banisters, the stair case and the balcony banister - £5 p/metre 

42 gold charger plates - £42

5 tablescapes with a central copper cakestand on a log slice, with big floral display and 3 pillar candles in the centre. Leafy garland acting as a runner with 2 geometric tealights and 2 copper candlesticks - £325

Delivery and collection - £40

In total it'll be £740

So much wedmin! (Part two)

So that was Saturday. Now to move onto Sunday we went to the Wedding Less Ordinary fayre in the Boiler Shop. I loved  it! And matty actually liked it too!

The first vendor we spoke to was Ruby Tuesdays. The reason I wanted to speak to her in person was because we've actually been emailing and she's going to be putting up all our paper cranes in the barn so I thought it would be a good idea to speak face to face. But I didn't realise that they're a full on florist and I loved the display she had set up. She had these STUNNING copper pipe raisers that we want. So we had a mini consultation and discussed what we want (flowers and props and other decor) and she's going to email us a price list this week. 

We were also supposed to have an informal discussion with Zoë Emilie the photographer but through no fault of her own it had to be cancelled.

But through some twist of fate the other photographer we were considering, Claire, was at the fayre. So we spoke to her for awhile and she told us she's pregnant and at the time of our wedding she'll just be getting back into the swing of things and if we wanted, she'd be happy to offer a discount while she's getting back into the swing of things so we're in talks now. I'd feel bad for letting down Zoë because I love her style and she offered us a free engagement shoot but while it's great value Claire would be less physical money and we'd get a little video with it. I hate how personal this has gotten lol I feel awful for letting someone down. I'm too damn emotional haha 

Other stuff from the wedding fayre...

So there weren't any other suppliers we're looking at booking but I got loads of ideas for DIY!

One of them  was for place names. I was going to do paper cutting with gold card to cut out everyone's names in cursive. But an easier idea and I think more professional look would be to make acrylic name holders out of shrinky dinks! I love making stuff with them and I saw them on the table that ruby Tuesday had laid out (but they were circular and I'd make them rectangular) then write everyone's names in gold paint pen. You can kind of see them in this picture.

Then I saw these and I just love them but I'm not sure how I'd incorporate them. But they're only £4 from the range and they're SO PRETTY.

And finally I didn't manage to get a photo of it at the fayre but I saw one of these hoops which I think I'm going to use as a backdrop for our vows. 

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

Sounds like a very productive weekend..

Loving all the inspiration and ideas. Particularly love the copper pipe raisers and fern in the frames! 

Can't wait to read more xxx

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,911 New bride

All sounds fab! Love the copper pipe flower stands.

I'm making a floral hoop to act as a back drop for our vows too, so pretty yet easy to do!