The 'subtly us' wedding

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride
    DandelionBlue wrote (see post):

So many things to catch up on!

The trellis in your living room looks amazing. Can you come to my venue and do the same ;)

Your engagement shoot looks amazing. Such a beautiful location and your pictures are exactly like I hope ours will turn out to be.

Such a cool tea trolley too. I'll say it again, I am in love with your style :)

Absolutely! It’s just ivy from eBay and scotch tape but I think it looks really effective, especially for how cheap and easy it is.

The photographer was super important to us because it’s my partners job (he was understandably very fussy) but I think we got a good one. She suggested so many places which we will pass onto guests as places to visit, as so many people are having a long weekend. 

Thank you! I’m hoping it just all comes together nicely!

MrsBeehan2Bee wrote (see post):

Hey!

I don't know how I've missed your thread but now I have finally read it! Loving your plans. I laughed at your picture posing with your sandwich as he hadn't popped the question hehe!! I love the way you write, you sound like good fun :)

The proposal was lovely, I know what you mean about how lovely and private it was, we love to escape on a walk and not see anyone for hours.

Looking forward to reading more!

Thank you Mrs (very soon to be) Beehan! I had lots of people tell me we would get engaged and I shrugged it off. My poor parents knew it would happen, so (especially my mum) were on edge waiting; she was very disappointed on day 3 when I called her to check she was at home to send photos (considerate daughter didn’t want to use all her data)...makes us giggle now! 

The proposal was perfect for us! Just us and the wildlife. 

Theres plenty more to write...160 days to go!

• MrsA-NToBeMrsA-NToBe Posts: 205 New bride

I've just caught up with you thread and adore the ivy... I'd never have thought about something like that! Where were you thinking of having it within your venue?

MrsA-NToBe wrote (see post):

I've just caught up with you thread and adore the ivy... I'd never have thought about something like that! Where were you thinking of having it within your venue?

We're going to put it on the wall behind the head table I think...I've seen so many things which would work on the venue, so at some point we will decide the 'game plan'. But I've realised I've never put venue photos on here...

This is the venue from the outside- PRE WARNING It's not a 'typical' wedding venue, is completely dry hire and the photos are clearly not event ready, just how it happened to be when we rocked up on  a Tuesday a few weeks ago. But very excited to make it our own

The staircase in the main entrance hall, I am obsessed with! The bar will be downstairs (almost under the stairs)

The room we plan to use for the ceremony (Aisle will be as you look towards the wall) and then later will be the 'dancing room'

One of the reception rooms

Leading to the final reception room (which will double up as a quieter space and evening food will be help yourself from)

And the view back the other way

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 820 New bride

Wow! Your venue is going to be so beautiful once you have it all decorated. The engagement photos are lovely, gorgeous scenery. How is your dress coming along? Love your shoes! 

VegasLou wrote (see post):

Wow! Your venue is going to be so beautiful once you have it all decorated. The engagement photos are lovely, gorgeous scenery. How is your dress coming along? Love your shoes! 

Thank you! Lots to do but it will all be worth it.

Dress update, actually my first ‘real dress‘ post full stop! As some of you know, I went dress shopping but none were right. So with the help of the dressmaker (and bridezilla over here) we came up with this two piece!

And then this for the evening using the same top.

Im pretty sure I’ve said before I would LOVE a jumpsuit, but in all honesty I don’t know if I would feel like I missed out on a wedding dress? I’ve had a few toiles and this is my final version. All set to have my first fitting in the real material in June! Annoyingly didn’t have my shoes as I ended up leaving work 2 hours later than planned! 

In with the theme of my dress this is my bridesmaid’s dress.

She came to visit for the weekend and we went had a make up lesson with benefit (I’ve got some new foundation to try which will be good for the wedding). Is anyone doing their own make up? I have terrible skin and I’ve struggled to find muas that do a good long lasting job where my face doesn’t end up looking cracked and horrid as the foundation sets in, So feel happier having more practice doing it myself.

This week we will be cracking on with the invitations, which should be in line with our save the dates, see what R can do haha.

Wedding diet is going okay! I’ve lost 6lb in 3 weeks and working to lose about the same again and tone up.

And finally some more floral inspiration! Especially love the Cala Lily and Thistle button holes!

Ooh your dress is going to look beautiful when it’s in the right fabric. How exciting to design it yourself! Love the idea of changing into trousers in the evening.

The bridesmaids dresses are gorgeous, love the colour and those flowers are beautiful. 

Ooh your dress is going to look beautiful when it’s in the right fabric. How exciting to design it yourself! Love the idea of changing into trousers in the evening.

The bridesmaids dresses are gorgeous, love the colour and those flowers are beautiful. 

It won’t be long until it’s in the proper fabric and I’m very excited (and quite anxious) to see it. I’m a desk monkey without a creative bone in my body so it’s so far out my comfort zone. Has everyone else struggled keeping their dresses secret from their partners? Half of me wishes I had let him in from beginning but figure I may as well keep shtum (sp.!?) now!

I had my first ‘no we can’t attend’ from a close friend today which has made me feel a little down as I would have loved for her to be there. But completely understand and appreciate the early notice- she still wants to come on the local hen so will celebrate with her regardless!

I’ve spent the afternoon nursing my hangover and browsing Prague hotels for my mini hen/girls holiday with my bridesmaid. I went a few years ago but definitely didn’t get the most out of it! 

As time is literally flying by (145 days to go!), I’ve started thinking about my box for R for the morning of the wedding.

Thoughts so far are booze (easy choice), his pocket square which I’m going to embroider probably with ‘persistence is the enemy of failure’...its a running joke that he asked me out lots of times and I was useless at picking up the signs and had terrible excuses! 

And these silly socks (with our faces)

But I will need a few more bits to bulk it out! 

As everyone has to travel to our wedding (3hrs minimum) we’re having an open bar which we will buy ourselves then will be served by staff. I’m thinking of buying the below- is there anything obviously missing? We cant buy everything but wouldn’t want people to feel there’s nothing they fancy? 

Gin, Vodka, white rum, Whisky, Dissarano, Aperol

Wine, beer, cider

tonic, soda water, ginger ale, bitter lemon, coke, lemonade

orange juice and cranberry juice 

Wine and prosecco will be served for the meal and toasts with tea and coffee after, which will be available all day too 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,913 New bride

Jack Daniels & coke is a fairly popular drink in our circle so maybe some of that - not sure if you count that under whisky.

MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

Jack Daniels & coke is a fairly popular drink in our circle so maybe some of that - not sure if you count that under whisky.

Thank you! Yeah I count that as whisky haha- I’m not a whisky drinker so struggle to distinguish the different types. I am definitely a gin girl! 

Yes I'm a gin girl too 🍸

I visited my grandma last weekend and have my old/blue/borrowed all in one! So excited to wear this from 1823! It also matches my engagement ring with diamonds and opals! 

We also managed to buy a van last weekend? It will be used to shift all the wedding stuff down safe and will be the next project after the wedding, converting it to a camper! 

That is stunning!

MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

That is stunning!

Thank you! Very excited to wear it :)

So....it's hit me that I may have been too much of a laid back bride! We need to do proper invites, menu stationery and actually sort out the tables and chairs. Who needs a seat ahha?

But we've responded to the celebrant and caterer and have started thinking about our vows at last. I think writing our own is going to make it extra special!

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794
    Sian91 wrote (see post):

I visited my grandma last weekend and have my old/blue/borrowed all in one! So excited to wear this from 1823! It also matches my engagement ring with diamonds and opals! 

We also managed to buy a van last weekend? It will be used to shift all the wedding stuff down safe and will be the next project after the wedding, converting it to a camper! 

Wow - this is stunning xx

Table and chairs sorted- HUUUUGE relief.

Request with caterers of any additional equipment they need in.

Wine ordered for collection from Calais in June.

Invite wording under discussion.

AND we've sold the car, which covers a majority the costs of the van (lets call it our wedding present to ourselves) haha.

On Tuesday I am going to try on my dress in the real fabric for the first time- and my Mum is travelling 100 odd miles to come too, fingers crossed it's good! VVVV Nervous

Wow that bracelet is so beautiful!!

I think you have the drinks covered with that list. You must be so excited to try your real dress! Look forward to hearing about it. 

Wow that bracelet is so beautiful!!

I think you have the drinks covered with that list. You must be so excited to try your real dress! Look forward to hearing about it. 

Thank you! I’m really looking forward to wearing something of my grandmas. It’s so hard thinking of good drinks choices when you only really know what you like.

I’m really excited- don’t think think I’ve done as well on the weight loss as planned though 🙈

Cheeky sneak peek of R’s bespoke suit. We always joke that our relationship took a while to kick off...but he kept trying!

• Syed3Syed3 Posts: 1

Congratulations! Really so beautiful ring, it's looks like an awesome holiday. Looking forward to hearing more

• DandelionBlueDandelionBlue Posts: 1,333 New bride

Love the concept for your flowers. It's pretty similar to what I am after too.

It must be so exciting and slightly scary to make your own dress. I'm sure it will turn out lovely.

That bracelet is incredible. Your gran has good taste! I've not sorted out my something ble borrowed etc yet. It's all new haha

I think you've covered all the drinks as far as I can see.

Syed3 wrote (see post):

Congratulations! Really so beautiful ring, it's looks like an awesome holiday. Looking forward to hearing more

Thank you- it was incredible! 

DandelionBlue wrote (see post):

Love the concept for your flowers. It's pretty similar to what I am after too.

It must be so exciting and slightly scary to make your own dress. I'm sure it will turn out lovely.

That bracelet is incredible. Your gran has good taste! I've not sorted out my something ble borrowed etc yet. It's all new haha

I think you've covered all the drinks as far as I can see.

Fingers crossed- all this sun has got me debating something lighter but I love the depth of it all, might have just white for my bridesmaid and stick to dark with the rest. 

The big day is tomorrow, so I'll let you all know how it goes. My Grandma has better taste than anyone I know, and I'm very happy to be wearing the bracelet!

Thanks for the update on the drinks- I keep asking people as I'm paranoid of missing something, neither of us have ever worked behind a bar either for ideas. 

Tables and chairs have been booked, We've gone for vintage style trestles and chiavari chairs with ivory seat pads. This photo is from the companies website and this photo is from our venue with that exact set up. 

I also spied this photo on insta (I can't be the only one who obsessively searches for photos of their venue right!?) from a wedding recently which looks lovely in my books. I'm hoping for nice weather, and while we haven't got garden games yet- we do have picnic benches and wire spool tables if the weather is good. 

I also bought 60 bottles of budweiser for £30 and two bottles of Aperol for £20- thank you Tesco!

Today I went to try my dress on and I am so pleased! I’ve got one more fitting, then hopefully bringing it home at the end of June.

I‘m doing my own make up so used it as an excuse to have a play. Think my hair will be half up and half down kind of like this but neat and by a professional! Wfter the fitting I popped into Wed2B today to try on veils, and now I’m even more confused! 

My face with a wedding make up play featuring wedding earrings🙈

Wedding fizz has been purchased and we’re off to France at the end of the month for the wedding wine. 

Its all becoming very real and im increasingly nervous we’ve forgotten something! 

Invites will be at the printers for end of the week, RSVP mid August, so people will have 6/7 weeks to reply and we have a month to sort the caterers. I think we’ve worked to more traditional timescales- work pressures and tardiness rather than choice. But it makes me glad we sent save the dates as people seem to know and be talking about it. I went to a birthday bbq last night and a friend who moved away recently and her partner were talking about how they’ve booked a holiday round our wedding, so that makes me excited! 

Also I thought I may as welll share this because I can’t anywhere else...my evening outfit.

The bottom of the top still needs the lace trimmed and buttons to be fitted so it sits tight, it’s just pinned here and I’m having the cups moved and extra boning. 

The trousers just need hem, lining and the zip! It’s so weird seeing the ideas in my head come to life (I’m a contracts managers by day so this creativity lark doesn’t come naturally to me).

As a side/possible bridezilla note...I was dress shopping with my mum for her, for the day time and she made a comment about nothing with too much white...I think I may have had my bridezilla moment when i remarked that it never bothered her buying a jumpsuit for the evening when she knew that was my thing. It was harsh and heat of the moment but now I’m like is it wedding fever, because I don’t think I really care? Or do I? Please tell me I’m not the only one doubting my own behaviour 🙈🙈🙈