Catering costs.....(London)

Hi lovely ladies,

We have booked our dry hire wedding venue in Surrey and looking at catering options. The majority of caterers are coming back with quotes for 120 guests between £9k and £10k only including food, no drinks or evening food! I know it starts creeping up when you add VAT on etc but didn't budget for this amount. Is this realistic or should I start looking even further afield? This is from approx 4 caterers. We have asked for an Italian theme menu so not sure if this is pushing it up?

Thanks!

L x

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,486 New bride

it depends on what you are asking for.  We are looking at 120 guests, and our food only bill is around £11k.  That doesn't include any drinks, but it does have the evening food as well.  We have a canapé reception, wedding breakfast of antipasti, Brazilian churrasco, and dessert stands.  Evening is crepe stand, cheese and crackers, plus grapes, chutneys etc.  It also varies depending on the level you are looking at.  We wanted all our meat to be free range, so that put up prices slightly.  

• elvis4nutselvis4nuts Posts: 102

We are having 3 courses for 50 people and a cheese and pork pie table for 90 people in the evening.  They are providing all staff, crockery etc, table cloths and are also running our bar for under £3k.

This is in Kent.

• kitty-kitty- Posts: 121 New bride

Wow... ours is 1250 for 130... 

we are having a hog roast though with a buffet in the evening... 

• Oooh Silvia! Had a look at your website - the importance of stationary vs stationery!!! Eek! 

• Emily310Emily310 Posts: 11 New bride

I'm getting married in central London at a dry-hire venue and for 100 people our caterer quote is £8,000 (I expect it will probably go up slightly). This includes canapes, welcome drinks, 3-course meal, cheese, wine for tables, staff hire, equipment hire (inc. chairs, tables, cutlery, glasses) and delivery fees. We had a huge range of prices but found a few around this fee so perhaps worth continuing the hunt?

Emily x

• Bebe2Bebe2 Posts: 61 New bride

Hi, not sure if you are totally set on an Italian menu but Indian caterers are a bit cheaper if you fancy something different. Some of them do different styles of food too for example my friend had a roast dinner (English style) but it was done by an Indian caterer. we have been quoted between £5000 to £7000 for 150 people by various caterers. this includes all the equipment linens crockery and soft drinks water and juice for the tables. canapes main course and dessert. it's cheaper I guess because it's sharing style food but you get loads! Plus most of them offer you a tasting before you book. Just a suggestion xx