โ€บ

Casual wedding by the Loch - May 2019

I have been debating whether or not to do a planning thread. My wedding is going to be tiny and very casual so didn't know if anyone would be interested in reading about my planning. Even some of my own family don't appear to be too excited and that has got me down in the last couple of days.

However, I thought that if I started a thread, I might start to feel excited again.

So here it is. Hope you like it (or at least don't hate it)!

ยซ13

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316

Yes please! Scottish and casual = want to read!! 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,611 New bride

I would! I also have non excited family and friends so I sympathise, it's the main reason I'm on here alot!

• How we met

I met H2b back in 2003 at a rock and metal night. Our first interaction was me drunkenly telling him that I liked his shirt (great start).

We had mutual friends so would chat every so often but nothing much happened until one night I went to watch his band (he is a drummer) and we got talking after his set. After some flirting, we had our first kiss and that was that. When we tell that story to family, I do try to make me sound less like a groupie.

We moved in with each other after 6 months. It was more convenient and probably not the most romantic reason to live together but we felt it was the best idea, and we have been together almost 15 years so I guess it wasn't such a bad idea in the end.

• MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

I would! I also have non excited family and friends so I sympathise, it's the main reason I'm on here alot!

Snap. I think that's one of the reasons why I decided to take the plunge and finally write something as opposed to mostly lurking.

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Would love to hear more about you day. I love smaller more intimate weddings.

• The Proposal

WARNING - nothing romantic to see here!

We have been together for almost 15 years, and in that time we have had many ups and downs. We have an almost 13 year old daughter and 2 cats. My H2b has never been an out and out romantic. That isn't to say he is boring. He knows what I like and he always pulls off a surprise or two for special occasions (for one Valentines Day he treated me to a wolf encounter where I got to feed my favourite animals with no one else in the zoo). However, he is not a wine and roses kind of guy. So I knew I was never going to get a huge gesture to get married. In fact, none came. We just went on our way and carried on as normal.

I am currently doing my teacher training course part time and so have to attend university one evening a week. One night, during a break in lessons, I was talking to one of my friends and we were discussing our partners. She had been having some problems and as she was telling me about them, I got to thinking that actually, my other half was pretty good. He is supportive, loving, fun and he has never asked me to be anything other than myself, something I can't even say some of my own family have done.

I went home to him that night and we chatted about what we wanted from life and I finally admitted that I wanted to get married (preferably to him). That I wanted to be with someone who loved me enough to say I want to be with you for the rest of my life. He said that he did, so I asked why he didn't want to get married. He said he did, he thought I didn't want to get married. It was then that we realised that we had both assumed that the other didn't want to get married so we didn't mention it. And that was that. We decided that we should get married.

See, not romantic but it was still great. One of those moments where things just fit in place.

We told our daughter first, then my parents and then his aunt and granddad (unfortunately both of his parents are deceased). And then, as all the cool kids do, we put it on Facebook (it was quicker and easier than phoning everyone).

• The Venue

The first thing we decided was where we would like to get married.

We live in Essex but we wanted to get married in Scotland. We go there every year and we love it. In fact, my daughter once had the choice of going to America, or back to Scotland, and she chose Scotland in a heartbeat.

We stay in lodges on the banks of Loch Lomond, always from the same company. We have had to go from a one bedroom lodge to a larger place as my daughter has gotten older.

We thought it would be a long shot but emailed the owners of the lodge we stay in and asked if there was any chance we could get married there and a few days later we got a yes.

https://lochlomondlodge.co.uk/jetty-lodge/

This is where we normally stay (including for our holiday this year) and the hope is that we can get married outside. I love the place and I love the view so it would be fantastic if we can manage to have an outdoor wedding.

Yay, another person who lives south but has decided to mission up to Scotland to get married!! I wonder if like us you have to spend all your time explaining why...

Your venue is completely beautiful, the views and being on the water! Can you row a boat off the jetty for some photos? 

Wow that is stunning, might have a look at holidays there! 

Where are you in Essex? My OH is from Rochford and all his family live there.

• Martha13Martha13 Posts: 46

Following! Excited to hear more beautiful part of the world

• New to thisNew to this Posts: 226 New bride

Following ๐Ÿ™‚x

• New to thisNew to this Posts: 226 New bride

We also just decided to get married... ring followed a few months later ... ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Elz2017 wrote (see post):

Yay, another person who lives south but has decided to mission up to Scotland to get married!! I wonder if like us you have to spend all your time explaining why...

Your venue is completely beautiful, the views and being on the water! Can you row a boat off the jetty for some photos? 

I never thought of that... love the idea. The jetty belongs to our lodge so no reason why not. There is also an island a little bit up the loch which could be a possible photo opportunity.

• MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

We currently live in Thurrock, just a few minutes from Lakeside shopping centre.

• I just got back from a friend's wedding reception and it was weird to know that I will be having one of my own eventually. 

Think I'll try to get some sleep and write more tomorrow.

KerryNash2B wrote (see post):
    MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

We currently live in Thurrock, just a few minutes from Lakeside shopping centre.

Ah, they are just down the road from Southend. We are in Kent so of course drive past Thurrock every time we visit. Easy wedding shopping with Lakeside right on your doorstep too!

• The Date

Well, I can finally reveal my wedding date. We have been waiting for the registrar to get back to us and today we have officially booked the 27th May 2019 for our wedding date. We weren't too fussed about the actual date, we just knew we would do it at some point during our usual visit to Scotland. We wanted to do it early in the week (it's bank holiday Monday in England) so our guests wouldn't have to use up too much of their annual leave. 

I also like the fact that all my family's wedding anniversaries will be spread out throughout the year (sister in March, mum in July and dad in December).

• The Dress

This is probably going to be the hardest decision to make.

I think I know what I want, but then I second guess myself and start to worry about what would suit me best, and what would my H2b like me in.

I've looked at long, simple dresses, and then 50s style dresses:

image image

Then again, I like the thought of having just a white dress, not necessarily a bridal gown:

image image

I prefer the sleeveless dress, but like the neckline of the other one.

Think I'm going to have to go to some bridal shops and try different styles on. The problem is that myself and my mum have completely different tastes so I can imagine this is going to be a long process.

All of those dresses are gorgeous - love the first one, very boho, barefoot and flowers in the hair. Good idea to go to dress shops - I did the same to work out what suited me (knowing that I was going to have something made) and it was a surprisingly nice experience. Plus it really did help see what shapes suited and to confirm what I thought I might want (sometimes it was more about how you could move around in certain styles or fabrics, have a dance round the shop floor... ;-)) I actually changed what I'd thought I was after to some extent.

May in Scotland = fewer midges... we're laying in stocks of Avon skin so soft as they will probably be rampant in June. 

• Elz2017 wrote (see post):

All of those dresses are gorgeous - love the first one, very boho, barefoot and flowers in the hair. Good idea to go to dress shops - I did the same to work out what suited me (knowing that I was going to have something made) and it was a surprisingly nice experience. Plus it really did help see what shapes suited and to confirm what I thought I might want (sometimes it was more about how you could move around in certain styles or fabrics, have a dance round the shop floor... ;-)) I actually changed what I'd thought I was after to some extent.

May in Scotland = fewer midges... we're laying in stocks of Avon skin so soft as they will probably be rampant in June. 

We've never had a massive problem with midges around our lodge but we go every year so maybe we're just used to them now. Definitely got to prepare the family for them.

BTW, your venue is gorgeous... my h2b is the one who first took me to Scotland and he wants to explore so much more of the country and the islands. He would love Arran.

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Ooo love those dresses. Can I be cheecky and ask where the bottom one (the one with sleeves) is from?

The midges on Arran are a pest! We're also annual visitors and they eat me every time (OH has less of a problem, they clearly find me tastier!)

I recommend the island for a hol, it's fantastic. I'm biased clearly.  I loved it when I was a kid, loads to do for young 'uns. 

• Sadieee wrote (see post):

Ooo love those dresses. Can I be cheecky and ask where the bottom one (the one with sleeves) is from?

Both bottom dresses are from the Pretty Dress Company. There is another dress on their website similar to the bottom one but I prefered the neckline of this one. They have some really nice dresses on their website and I might buy one even if it isn't for the wedding. I'll just forget to mention the price to h2b ๐Ÿ˜

• So, being over a year away has made me reluctant to do too much but hopefully that will change soonish.

I am currently on my last assignment for my PGCE (study part time while teaching full time - slightly backwards I know). The deadline is 25th May, which just also happens to be the last day of term and the day we drive up to Scotland for our annual visit. Therefore I have decided that I will not plan anything else until my assignment is completed and sent off (I've also decided to avoid alcohol until my holiday which could possibly be the worst decision I've ever made, we'll see).

However, in kind of planning news, my step mother has agreed to come shopping with me to buy bits and bobs so we can decorate the outside for the ceremony. She loves creating and arts and crafts where I know nothing so I really need the help.

I've also decided that I don't want a big blow out for my hen do. I would like a girls night in with cheesy movies, lots of junk food and then people can drink as much or as little as they like. However, my place is too small so looking at ideas of where to hold it. Have looked at maybe hiring a place for the weekend, or even at hotels, but I don't want anything too expensive as I don't want my friends having to pay out loads just because I decided to get married. Any and all suggestions will be gratefully received (I'm in Essex if that makes any difference).

Have you looked at airbnb and homeaway? Usually cheaper, more flexible for one or two nights, and generally more chilled out. Guess it depends on how many people are going as to cost, but there seem (from a quick airbnb mission - I love airbnb!) to be plenty of big houses in rural Essex or Suffolk you could get if your hens were willing to pay say 50 quid a night? Find a place with a big enough living room and you're sorted! I've been on super cheap and super expensive hen parties, but realistically I'd think myself lucky to get away with under £100 for one. And you can always sound people out about it first. 

Have to admit that I'm desperately hoping my hen organisers have done something like this for me... some of my friend don't have a lot of cash to fritter on a hen do.

• KerryNash2BKerryNash2B Posts: 88 New bride

Hurrah, I have just handed in my last PGCE assignment (a day early no less) and I am ssssoooo happy. This means that I can start planning for my wedding.

We are off to Scotland this weekend, staying in a lodge on the banks of Loch Lomond. This is the place where we are going to get married. About 12 people have been invited but I don't think everyone will go (mum's partner is staying at home to look after the dogs, and we're unsure of how H2B's granddad will be feeling in a year's time - he's 95 now).

The plan is to take lots of pictures so I can start to think about decorating. I'm also going to talk to the owners about what we can and cannot do. My dad has offered to pay for a piper for me so fingers crossed that it's allowed.

One thing we have already booked is the photographer.

https://samanthakayphotography.co.uk/

We got a fantastic deal and I'm super happy as I love her photographs (plus she likes cats, bonus).

I am so over the moon right now about finishing my teacher training that it's hard to think about anything else but I'm packing for a week away as soon as I get home tonight so will probably make a list of things to look at/enquire about, while we're up there.

Still having a slight stress about wedding dress shopping but hopefully that will get better now I'm in planning mode

We are currently in Scotland, staying in the lodge we are getting married in next year. The sun is shining ๐Ÿ˜

I've been taking photos everywhere so we can figure out where to have the ceremony, how I walk out, what to decorate, etc. Hopefully will have a meeting with the owners in the week to find out what we can and cannot do.

• DandelionBlueDandelionBlue Posts: 1,225 New bride

Hello. Just found your thread.

We live in London and are planning our wedding up in Scotland. Be prepared to travel up a lot.

You have chosen such a pretty place. That View!

I know you're hoping for an outdoor wedding. I would just make sure to have a back-up plan in case it rains. So you're not stressed out the day before or on the day.

Look forward to reading your thread

DandelionBlue wrote (see post):

Hello. Just found your thread.

We live in London and are planning our wedding up in Scotland. Be prepared to travel up a lot.

You have chosen such a pretty place. That View!

I know you're hoping for an outdoor wedding. I would just make sure to have a back-up plan in case it rains. So you're not stressed out the day before or on the day.

Look forward to reading your thread

Hello to you too ๐Ÿค—

Have you got a planning thread? Would love to see how other people are managing to plan a wedding from such a distance.

We're quite lucky in a way as the lodge we are staying in (and getting married outside) has a large window that faces the same view so, if the worst happens, we'll get married in there. Fingers crossed though, the weather this werkend has been gorgeous and would be ideal for us next year.

• We got back from Scotland yesterday  The weather was gorgeous - hoping for a repeat next year.

We had a meeting with the lodge owners on the Friday and they confirmed that I can have a piper for the ceremony. My dad has offered to pay for this as a present so now it's time to do some research and find a piper (if anyone has any recommendations for pipers in and around Glasgow, all info gladly accepted).

We also visited a few places for the after-wedding dinner. We have three finalists:

https://www.vintageinn.co.uk/restaurants/scotland-northern-ireland/theballochhouselochlomond

Balloch House is a local inn with armchairs and an open fireplace. They said we could have the family room which would mean a bit of privacy, but it also has outdoor access so if the weather is nice then we have a drink in the sunshine while we wait for dinner. I also love the fact that this place is right next to the river so we can have some lovely photos there.

https://www.classicinns.co.uk/tullieinnballoch

The Tullie Inn is just over the bridge to Balloch House. We won't get a private area but they said we will probably be in the conservatory area and can decorate it if we like. The manager we met was really nice and accommodating which I really liked.

http://www.duckbay.co.uk/

This is just a short walk from where we are having our ceremony and the restaurant is right on top of the Loch so we would have stunning views and some great photos. When we visited, they just gave us the wedding brochure wasn't 100% helpful. I would rather have spoken to someone than just been given a heap of information that wasn't specific to us. However, my H2B loves the view so this is still in contention. He has tomorrow off work so he has been tasked with phoning them and getting a bit more info on what we want.