Will you tip your vendors?

So I was wondering what was customary. Do you tip your vendors? And how much?

• Samantha265Samantha265 Posts: 303 New bride

I only tipped the waitresses, and I gave them £20 each. I figured no matter what we spent on the catering, the waiting staff wouldn't be seeing any of it! They were excellent and served food that I bought elsewhere. I would agree that it's bad etiquette to tip anyone who owns the business, to me the point of a tip is that it's in addition to poor wages.

• I haven't planned to, but I may rethink that depending on if the ettiequte is to do so. I will be sending thank you cards (and probably a box of chocs too) to the suppliers that have been great through the planning/wedding. 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,533 New bride

Probably not, except maybe the waitresses/bar staff. Everyone else is making a fortune out of us already!

• weatherwaxeweatherwaxe Posts: 848 New bride

I was told that it's rude to tip anyone who owns a business, so am not planning on tipping my planner, florist, DJ or photographer. Im definitely going to get my planner and possibly my photographer a small present instead though! 

I will be tipping the wait and bar staff though, and well.

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 820 New bride

We can't afford to! We're already having to borrow most of the money from both our families to even have a wedding... I'll make some lovely thank you cards for all the suppliers though with heart felt messages in each.

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,472 New bride

Probably not. Possibly wait staff but depends on how many there are! We have a big wedding and the catering alone- excluding wine is over £10k so ideally would prefer not to tip where possible!

• MrsTraceyMrsTracey Posts: 837 New bride

Noooo, they have enough of our money as it is! I will send a thank you card though for all their hard work.

• Julia82Julia82 Posts: 123

The thought had not crossed my mind! I am going to try and unsee this thread 😃 

• Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride

I don't think we'll be tipping the suppliers. Though will probably sending them a thank you card. 

Our venue is a village hall though, and it's run and staffed by volunteers. I was think of buying them a bottle of wine each. Would cash be better? I don't know? There won't be many, just bar staff. But I thought it would be a thank you gift rather than a tip.

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,096 New bride

I'm not tipping our suppliers such as our caterer or the venue owners but I will tip the bar staff/waiters on the day. Knowing h2b he'll be buying them all drinks!

• DandelionBlueDandelionBlue Posts: 1,167 New bride

Hello. Thank you all for your replies.

I saw this on a wedding planning timeline and wasn't sure if it was customary in the UK. So got myself into a bit of a flap because I hadn't budgeted for it.

But my the sound off it, if you tip it's only the bar staff. But a thank you card and a little gift might be a good idea.

• I tipped the wedding coordinator and head chef £100 each, then the chefs, waiters and bar staff £50 each.  We gave the money to them the night before.  

I do understand though that this is unusal in UK weddings, we just wanted to take care of the staff that were looking after our guests.  Total cost was around 10% of our food and beverage spend.  

• No I didn’t tip any of my Vendors. 

Why not leave them excellent feedback instead on their social media page? That’s what I did. 

I also emailed the company bosses to let them know how well their staff had done. 

• Mrs2018Mrs2018 Posts: 398
    weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

I was told that it's rude to tip anyone who owns a business, so am not planning on tipping my planner, florist, DJ or photographer. Im definitely going to get my planner and possibly my photographer a small present instead though! 

I will be tipping the wait and bar staff though, and well.

I've never heard it's rude to tip business owners, we own our own business but it's only the 2 of us and have been tipped plenty of times without feeling offended :) is never expect it though.

That being said, i will probably be tipping the waiting and bar staff and sending thank you gifts and cards to the venue dresser, wedding co ordinator, florist hairdresser etc  

• Laura GraceLaura Grace Posts: 328 New bride

As a photographer, I have been tipped once by the bride's father.  Didn't think it was rude but extremely unexpected and most definitely not the norm.  As has already been mentioned - a little thank you note (if you are pleased with the service) and a 5* review will go a very long way indeed x

• Desert-brideDesert-bride Posts: 226 New bride

I had a to google if this was something expected in the States. Cause they love a tip. 

Thankfully, I was pleased to see that if they’re service providers a tip would be offensive!

• I think you mean business owners, not service providers!

• KittyFiennesKittyFiennes Posts: 975 New bride

I'm in the States; typical providers I've seen tipped here include the nail/hair technicians and bar staff. Also, some of the catering contracts I've seen had an automatic gratuity added on (very pricey). Oh, and the drivers for party buses for hen/stag do's. That's about it.  I've not seen any tip the florist, baker, seamstress, etc.