what is the "wedding tradition" you heard about only after you started wedding

I think for me the strangest one that i have heard was that breaking ribbons on shower gifts signifies how many children you will have... I have always known to put a big bow on everything, but i never in a million years thought there was a children relation to ribbons on the packaging!

we did not follow this at all, we have a BBQ rather than a shower and due to a fairly small registry we got mostly gift cards and honeymoon excursions (a surprising number of people contacted our travel agent to help us pay for extras!) so there was no bow bouquet and no baby ribbons.

Now something I thought was a tradition but it is apparently just something I was taught / maybe people in the midwest in general? But i grew up with "if you know the wedding colors, do not wear the wedding colors, this will ensure you arent dressed like a bridesmaid" Now i say that maybe i was taught this because my mom showed up at a wedding years ago (i was the flower girl) in the exact same dress as the bridesmaids (it was an off the rack dress from JCPenny, it wasnt as if she went to a bridal store and this snafu occurred) But my FMIL, after being asked specifically to not wear burgundy chiffon as thats what the bridesmaids are wearing.... sent me a burgundy chiffon dress to see what i thought - i was upset since it was the exact dress i said not to get, and rather than say something mean asked FH to handle it, and he asked her to get the dress in the different color. Fortunately it also came in navy and she looks gorgeous.

But because of that incident i learned that many of my bridal party members had never heard to not wear the wedding colors to the wedding as a woman - many of them had never even heard that you shouldnt wear a white (ish) dress to a wedding either!

That are your tradition stories!

For reference I am located in the Chicago Suburbs, but have attended weddings in multiple states as I went to college on the East coast and my friends are scattered over the country. FILs are from the east coast, specifically south of NYC.

Please be polite to other posters. There is no right or wrong tradition, this is not about bashing other people traditions just a nice discussion / learning experience about traditions we might not all have known about, or things we assumed were the norm but are not the norm everywhere

jaison

https://downloadnox.com/ https://showbox.software/ https://mobdro.onl/

• More of a US/UK thing, but I had not heard of toss the garter until SIL's wedding. In the UK we have toss the bouquet but not toss the garter.

• Barbie3Barbie3 Posts: 340 New bride

Hi Jaison, u'll find most of the posters on here know VERY diffrent traditions because this is a UK site n u do things quite diffrently in the US.  US sites like Weddingbee have been eye opening (n not always in a good way!) 2 a lot of us.

4 starters, we don't do showers, and its traditional here 4 whoever's paying 4 the wedding to pay for things like bridesmaid, best man n ushers' outifts.

(and we genrally don't need 2 be told how to behave online ;) )

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 856 New bride

Apparently it's customary for ladies to all keep their hats on until mother of the bride takes hers off? And some weddings have hat tables or I've heard of like washing lines to pin hats on once MOB has removed hers. Very odd. I've always just taken it off when it starts to annoy me.

• Awhelenqt wrote (see post):

Apparently it's customary for ladies to all keep their hats on until mother of the bride takes hers off? And some weddings have hat tables or I've heard of like washing lines to pin hats on once MOB has removed hers. Very odd. I've always just taken it off when it starts to annoy me.

Yes I'd never heard of any of that either, until I read it on this forum!

• Amy491Amy491 Posts: 58

My MIL told me that I shouldn’t have seen my wedding ring till during the ceremony. How would I have known it fit?? I’m 100% sure she just made that one up 

• Ali217Ali217 Posts: 62

That you’re “supposed“ to get married in the bride’s home town. I had family shocked that we’re not getting married where I grew up even though I now live 300 odd miles away and have done for 7 years.