Red to a wedding!

I was having a look through wedding bee and seen a post that stated wearing red to a wedding is a big no no & attention seeking. Is this a US etiquette rule or would UK brides be offended by this? 

A colleague of mine has bought a floor length red dress/gown with sequins for my wedding, which I absolutely love and actually helped her pick! I'd seen a less formal red dress I really liked but now I'm second guessing myself.

What are everyone elses thoughts? x

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 829 New bride

It's an absolutely ridiculous US thing... It might even just be a mental wedding bee thing haha certainly not in the UK anyway 

• Thank you, I thought as much! In fairness 90% of the stuff on wedding bee is kinda detached from reality. It makes great reading though haha!

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Nope, I see no issue with it whatsoever!

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,281 New bride

I never knew this was a thing, until one of my bridesmaids (who was born in Hawaii and grew up in Sweden) was absolutely shocked that I was considering wearing a red dress to a wedding. Apparently it signifies you've slept with the groom?!? 

I've never heard it from anyone UK born and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.. I've been to loads of weddings were people are in red dresses and it hasn't been an issue. 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,099 New bride
    GinAndBling wrote (see post):

I never knew this was a thing, until one of my bridesmaids (who was born in Hawaii and grew up in Sweden) was absolutely shocked that I was considering wearing a red dress to a wedding. Apparently it signifies you've slept with the groom?!? 

I've never heard it from anyone UK born and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.. I've been to loads of weddings were people are in red dresses and it hasn't been an issue. 

Haha if that's true then a lot of my wedding guests slept with my husband, including my gran! 

I've never heard that rule, I think it's a bonkers wedding bee thing!

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride
    Rach371 wrote (see post):

Haha if that's true then a lot of my wedding guests slept with my husband, including my gran! 

Pahaha! This made me smile. 

Never heard of it OP. 

• Rach371 wrote (see post):

Hahaha I love this rule, I might point it out to people from now on for a laugh (unless I'm the one wearing red!). So many weird & wonderful rules of etiquette I never knew existed until I started planning! 

• Ozzy2bOzzy2b Posts: 143

Do people really know what those outside the bridal party will be wearing?? I mean it’s one thing to be told, but you can’t control what people show up in on the day. I think it would be lovely and I’d be thrilled to have someone go all out to look great as a guest! 

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 829 New bride
    Ozzy2b wrote (see post):

Do people really know what those outside the bridal party will be wearing?? I mean it’s one thing to be told, but you can’t control what people show up in on the day. I think it would be lovely and I’d be thrilled to have someone go all out to look great as a guest! 

Right??? My brother in law isn't in the wedding party yet he's going to be wearing a bright yellow "dayman" suit! I cannot wait. Like our wedding is pretty informal and chill but there is no dress code, if people feel comfortable in jeans then they can wear them but it's also an excuse for a lot of people to go all out and dress as fancy as they like! They could wear gowns and glitter and I'd be thrilled lol 

• RB2SRB2S Posts: 45 New bride

I think I’ve heard of the rule before of not wearing red to a wedding, but I thought it was because it could be seen to signify blood? Maybe I dreamt it!

Even so, it wont bother me what anybody wears to my wedding.

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

I heard the slept with the groom thing through this site a while back when we got talking about crazy wedbee posts lol it's ridiculous! 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I’ve heard red is bad luck because combined with the white of the brides dress it symbolises blood and bandages.

But then MIL told me that green bridesmaid dresses are bad luck, because she had green and got divorced. I’m sure the dresses were the culprits and now I’m just waiting for P to present me with divorce papers.

And one of our friends wore a red dress to our wedding, maybe it’s me who will file for divorce then 🤷🏻‍♀️😂

• LisaDToBeLisaDToBe Posts: 104 New bride
    MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

I’ve heard red is bad luck because combined with the white of the brides dress it symbolises blood and bandages.

But then MIL told me that green bridesmaid dresses are bad luck, because she had green and got divorced. I’m sure the dresses were the culprits and now I’m just waiting for P to present me with divorce papers.

And one of our friends wore a red dress to our wedding, maybe it’s me who will file for divorce then 🤷🏻‍♀️😂

My Mum had green bridesmaid dresses and she'll be celebrating her Golden Wedding Anniversary in November   

• The Bee is just sheer entertainment! I have a mooch on the forums when I need a chuckle 😂

• Moore2beMoore2be Posts: 66 New bride

My mum is wearing red to our wedding, so I sincerely hope she hasn't slept with the groom 

Seriously though I don't care what people wear as long as no-one turns up in an exact replica of mine or my bridesmaid dresses.

• MrsPB2019MrsPB2019 Posts: 517 New bride

I was at a wedding yesterday and the bride wore red, I’m sure the bees would have a field day with that.

• Never heard of this! I am marrying in to a Chinese family and red is seen as lucky and mandatory to wear to a wedding! :-)

• Awhelenqt wrote (see post):

It's an absolutely ridiculous US thing... It might even just be a mental wedding bee thing haha certainly not in the UK anyway 

I live in the States.  I can assure you it's absolutely not a "thing" here.  The only way a bride might be offended is if her theme colours were red and you looked like a BM (when you aren't one).  Wearing a red sheath dress to a summer wedding or a burgundy velvet dress to a holiday wedding would look great and no one would bat an eye.