β€Ί

Informal wedding- hungry guests?

hello...some advice please! we get married October 2019, and have planned what we hope to be a very chilled affair. We will get married at 2.30 and following that we’re having a drinks reception with cheese boards and charcuterie platter buffet followed by serving our wedding cake with a pizza van in the evening.

i figure people will be eating about 4, albeit lightly and then again about 8? 

This perfectly avoids any formal seating arrangement or forced speeches etc, however some people have made faces when I’ve told them...

has anyone else done similar?

does it sound like enough food?

how can I ask people to ensure they have brunch/ligh lunch on the invite?

thanks in advance xx

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,107 New bride

If your ceremony is at 2.30 I don't think you need to tell people to eat beforehand, people will be able to look after themselves. 

Your food choices sound lovely, however I would suggest you ensure there is lots of bread- you will need something to soak up alcohol. 

We had sharing platters at 4pm and then evening food at half 9, we ensured there was a lot of bread and potatoes with dinner to stop people getting too hammered. By 8pm the damage will be done!

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

I suppose it depends how much food the buffet will contain as with people drinking they may end up very drunk but you know your guests. We are getting married at 2pm and having canapés, 3 course meal and then reception food and cake at 9pm x

• CE26CE26 Posts: 347 New bride

We gave rough timings for our day on the invite inserts to let them know when food would be available. Is that an option for you so people can plan their other meals accordingly? 

If I'd had a good lunch at say 12 I could just about get to 8pm, but throw in a bit of alcohol and I'd definitely have the munchies a bit earlier. It sounds like you've covered that off with the platter buffet. 

I think timing wise you are fine, just make sure there is enough quantity wise as those that didnt plan for a decent lunch will probably consume a bit more than what would be classed as a standard portion for that kind of buffet perhaps? 

• Thank you everyone, I’ll speak to the wedding coordinator about amounts as I know I can add canapés etc if I need to 🀷🏻‍♀️ Points taken about soaking up booze haha

• MrsGtoB wrote (see post):

I suppose it depends how much food the buffet will contain as with people drinking they may end up very drunk but you know your guests. We are getting married at 2pm and having canapés, 3 course meal and then reception food and cake at 9pm x

Same here! We also get married at 2pm. The ceromony is going to be followed by a drinks reception and canapés, 3 course meal and then petit fours and tea/coffee. In the evening were having a light finger buffet at 9pm with our cake and we’ll also have a sweet station all evening (or for as long as the sweets last) too. 

I do think guests have  certain expection but as long as they’re getting fed it shouldn’t really matter. On your invite you could always write something along the lines of:

Ceremony at 2:30pm followed by fizz and nibbles. 

This way guests will know that they are getting something but it’s not as substantial as 3 course meal.

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

will the pizza van literally just serve pizza? Or will there be other options too?

ive been to an informal wedding with similar timings that had 2 buffets with lots of choice. It was fine but I was hungry afterwards.

I think if you currently only have one option for food in the evening (pizza) then you could do to have some extra food laid out. i don’t think pizza is enough, I couldn’t eat more than a slice or 2 so I’d be hungry.

• MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

will the pizza van literally just serve pizza? Or will there be other options too?

ive been to an informal wedding with similar timings that had 2 buffets with lots of choice. It was fine but I was hungry afterwards.

I think if you currently only have one option for food in the evening (pizza) then you could do to have some extra food laid out. i don’t think pizza is enough, I couldn’t eat more than a slice or 2 so I’d be hungry.

Wow I’d struggle to STOP at 2 slices 🀣 we are definitely pizza people. However it’s served with wedges and salad, everyone gets a 9” pizza of their own.

• MrsNWMrsNW Posts: 59 New bride

I went to a wedding in July where they did exactly this, albeit it was a seated affair (sharing boards on each table). It worked fine, and I felt like I had eaten enough - it was actually nice not to feel so full and bloated like you do after some 3/4 course meals you get at weddings.  With saying that, they had a huge amount of bread, potato salads, pastry tarts etc to soak up the booze. They also served a lemon drizzle cake after the sharing boards as a dessert.
    I don't normally eat from evening buffets at weddings as I don't normally feel hungry enough, but I ate pretty much a full 12 inch pizza myself that night. My partner who is a big eater said he still felt hungry after the sharing boards.
    It did make for a great atmosphere between guests with the sharing element and we all had a great time :)

Hope this helps :) xxx

• I think the timings are fine, and it's sounds like the evening food will be substantial as long as guests aren't limited to one pizza.  I don't think that the current offerings after the reception sound substantial enough though. 

I had similar timings for my prev wedding and we served a huge selection of canapes, from mini sliders to crab cakes to your run-of-the-mill cheese platters. We RAN OUT of food.  Not kidding, the spouse and I not only didn't get to even taste them, we didn't even get to see them - everything was gone before we came inside from pictures. Never under-estimate how much people can eat when they are having a good time, conversing, and drinking.  I'd always rather have too much than too little.

• Sarah1152 wrote (see post):
    Wow I’d struggle to STOP at 2 slices 🀣 we are definitely pizza people. However it’s served with wedges and salad, everyone gets a 9” pizza of their own.

I don’t think this is enough choice if I’m being honest. I know a couple of people who don’t eat pizza because they don’t like cheese (I have the opposite problem myself πŸ˜‚).   I have been to weddings previously where the only option in the evening was a hog roast (which I don’t like) and ended up eating very little. This isn’t a great mix when you've got booze added into the mix! 

• SlySly Posts: 36 New bride
    Only just spotted this post so you are probably decided now. My first wedding - we got married at 4pm, we were a small party so by the time we had a few informal photos it was probably 5ish, we had some canapes after this, the evening party was a hog roast with jacket spuds coleslaw potato salad etc and a veggie option can't recall if there were desserts but we cut our cake up and served that too. I am get married for the second time in May this year and we are marrying at 2pm, no photographer so just a few informal family photos while they set up for afternoon tea for 17 adults and 2 kids (although mamma keeps asking, hmmm cream tea? Will that be enough? People will be starving by then, Erm...yes). Evening party will be a buffet, a home made sweetie table and our cake ... as soon as we organise one that is πŸ˜‚. Informal and alternative wedding breakfasts are so nice, who wants the usual 3 courses, roast beef again??? Really?? All I will say is make sure you cater for vegetarians and check if the food is served by venue staff. We were give,n the option of bacon rolls for the evening reception but figured that people wouldn't be happy with one or two and would be disappointed or if the food wasn't served up by staff some people would pile their plates with 4 or 5 and others would be left with nothing, really disappointed guests then. Most venues over cater anyway as we all know, a lot of greedy people pile this plates up...and then leave half of it😠
  • cs2thecoxcs2thecox Posts: 260 New bride
    We're a 2pm wedding, followed by fizz and cake (yep, unconventional!), then proper dinner at 6:30ish, with cheese and cake available throughout the evening.

We wrote on the info card with the invite that people should have lunch before the service, and gave a couple of local suggestions. No negative feedback at all, and actually quite a lot of positive noises about the fact that our meal is at a "normal" time!