Forum home Emotional support

I need a double gin!

Make that a bottle!

Our caterer called saying she couldn't trace the £1100 deposit payment we sent last November and for us to send a screenshot of the transaction. No big deal I thought.

The payment was originally blocked by my bank as suspected fraud. I went into the branch the next day and the advisor sent the payment through again once I'd confirmed it was genuine. A couple of days later I got a letter thanking me for my deposit.

Looking at the transactions I thought I'd check all the detail. Somehow (I have no clue how as me and OH triple checked all the big payments) it's been sent to the wrong account. Same bank and branch area but different sort code. So we've lost £1100. 

Cue frantic phone calls to the bank to put in a request to trace it and pray we get it back. (I'm not going to hold my breath) 

I will call the caterer tomorrow but we'll need to pay the deposit again and hope we get it back. I'm a bit pissed it's taken them 11 months to figure this out! 

Because of all the stress and salty ugly crying I can feel a cold sore coming on. This will mean if I can't get it to heal before Saturday I'll need to cancel my second lip injection appointment in as many months. I can't decide if this is yet another kick in the teeth or a bit of a blessing in disguise the £200 will come in handy to pay our second deposit. 

I swear to all that is holy this food better be divine.

• Julia101Julia101 Posts: 162 New bride

😨 I really hope you get it back, what a nightmare. Why were you sent a letter of thanks for the deposit though if they hadn't received it?   Anyway, hope you get sorted, I'm sure your lips are lovely as they are too! 

• cs2thecoxcs2thecox Posts: 260 New bride

Oh no! I can recommend good gins though, if that would help...

(Seriously, I hope you manage to get the money back quickly, and don't get too stressed out over it. I'm with you on the gin though.)

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride

Oh no that's terrible - how did you get a letter thanking you got the deposit if they didn't get it though?? 

If the bank clerk entered the details incorrectly on the transaction that went through I would have thought the bank would be responsible for that, not you though.

• Oh no, this is terrible!  Have you managed to find a solution?  If the money is lost, is there anything that can be done via your wedding insurance?  Always worth a look.  I hope the cold sore goes in time too!

• Becky111Becky111 Posts: 222 New bride

Thanks for the moral support guys.

I think the caterer has sent the letter on us just saying we have sent the payment rather than checking the actual accounts. Which is frustrating but they have been very understanding now I've told them what's happened.

My bank have called today as the person we spoke to yesterday didn't log the case right. We've found out that the transaction we did online does have the right sort code the one that was done in the branch has the wrong sort code. 

The branch have called again since and said there isn't enough evidence that I didn't ask for the sort code to be changed in the branch and are treating it as we've sent the money to the wrong account. 

I'm stressed to hell to be honest. I barely slept last night thinking I'd lost us £1100 now I'm just angry. I know mistakes happen we are all human but the way they've treated us is disgusting :( 

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Oh Becky! I'm so disappointed to hear the bank is being like this!

Do you have next steps?

• Zara29Zara29 Posts: 105

So sorry to hear this, awful situation :( worth contacting the ombudsman (if it is the banks fault)?

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride

I would definitely be pursuing this up the management chain at the bank, and if not rectified, contacting the ombudsman. Also try the boards on moneysavingexpert.com, there are people on there who really know their shit and will be able to advise you on the next steps. Good luck x

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,136 New bride

Oh I’m so sorry. Definitely ask to speak to the branch manager and if not, the ombudsman. Have you got a 0% credit card you could stick the money on for the time being whilst the bank investigate, just to save you from worrying right now about finding it / having issues with the caterers.

• That's awful when it is so clearly the bank's fault! You definitely need to take this higher as you should definitely be getting your money back! 

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Definitely take this higher with the bank, there isn't enough evidence to prove you didn't ask for the sortcode to be changed? well is there enough evidence to prove you did?

• You can't prove a negative, you can't prove something that didn't happen. Surely they are just trying to weasel out of responsibility. I would ask to speak to a manager as a matter of urgency, and keep a written record of what's said. I'm sure they'll fight you but it's clearly their fault so I'm sure they'll give in and refund you.