Forum home Emotional support

panic attacks and anxiety WEDDING THIS SATURDAY

I am getting married this Saturday, 3rd November and I am really struggling with my anxiety and panic attacks recently. I started having these panic attacks suddenly back in August and ever since then, I have been worried about how I will cope on the wedding day.

When I started to have the panic attacks daily, I went to see my GP who put me on 10mg of citalopram and 10mg of propranolol. I felt absolutely awful for 2 weeks on the citalopram but stuck with them and was then put up to 20mg around 4 weeks ago, which again made me feel terrible for another 2 weeks. I was finally at a point where I had no panic attacks at all until this week and now I am absolutely dreading the wedding. We are only having a small ceremony at our local registry office with close friends and family but there are still going to be 35 people there and 70 at our evening reception and I am not sure how I am going to cope walking into a room full of people, feeling like I am going to uncontrollably puke and shit myself, sweating and feeling dizzy all at the same time. My panic attacks are nowhere near as bad as they were before I started the medication but still terrible none the less.

What can I do to help myself?

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 951 New bride

Hello

Firstly, I know panic attacks feel awful, but remember, it is just caused by an imbalance in your breathing. It may feel like you're dying, but they cannot physically hurt you.

Secondly, the imbalance of breathing builds up over time, so it won't be a single stressful thing that causes it. It builds up over time. Things that can add to your chances of getting a panic attack include:

- monthly cycle

- smoking

- alcohol

- caffeine

- sugary diet

- lack of sleep

So cutting down on the caffeine and alcohol, and trying to eat healthily for a few days before the wedding might help. As always, getting a good night's sleep works wonders, but I know that's easier said than done!

As panic attacks build up over a day or so, the best way to avoid panic attacks is tajking time to do breathing exercises regularly. Try and breathe deep into your diaphragm rather than in your chest. Try breathing in slowly and counting to 4, and then breathing out to five. Really focus on your breath. If you have space you could lie on your back with your arms by your side, shut your eyes and try really deep, rhythmic breathing. Or you could stand and raise your arms up and above your head as you breathe in, lower them when you breathe out. Breathe in through your nose and out for your mouth, exhaling loudly if your comfortable to do so.

You might like to find some guided meditations on YouTube. These are people who talk you through relaxing scenarios whilst helping you count your breaths.

If you do feel yourself having a panic attack, try the breathing exercises, and keep telling yourself you know it can't harm you and it will pass within half an hour.

I wish you the best - I really hope you have an amazing week and an even better wedding! So excited for you!

• This is a post which is so close to home.

I'm also getting married Saturday and my anxiety is through the roof and I had my first panic attack today (I haven't had one on years)

I'm just trying to keep calm, reassure myself that everything is going to be ok. Also I keep telling myself that this is the day I've been waiting for my whole like dont ruin it for yourself.

Big hugs

Xx

• I don't have much advice but just to say that I feel the same, and you are not alone! Just got to remind ourselves that we are surrounded by those we love and that it is OK to not be OK, no-one is there to judge us just to celebrate us as we join in marriage to our husbands. I hope you have a lovely day and wish you all the strength xx

• Zara29Zara29 Posts: 105

I'm sorry you're struggling at the moment, as others have said everyone who is there is just there to support you and enjoy your day, so try not to feel like they're judging your or expecting anything of you.

Try to take moments to meditate or just breath slowly and calmly. One of my coping mechanisms is simply to breath in and count for five seconds and do the same when you exhale. It helps to give your brain something else to focus on to break the cycle.

Best of luck :)

• I would definitely recommend some meditation and / or yoga.  I've had similar trouble in the past.

With sleeping, I started doing guided sleep meditation - just googled it and picked one of the first on youtube.  The first night I did it, I got to the end and was lay there thinking "well that didn't work", the video counted backwards from 10, I don't remember getting to 1, so it did work, it just took a while.  After a while, I could fall asleep within the first few minutes.

When my stress was really high, I would team this with herbal sleeping tablets, I wouldn't suggest the non herbal as they may make you feel a little groggy.  

I'm not great at yoga, I have an online subscription for classes that I follow at home, but I always feel amazing after doing it and would definitely recommend it.  Try searching guided meditation for beginners, you'll be surprised at how much it can help as it's all about focusing on your breath.

Good luck!

• Candice9Candice9 Posts: 230 New bride

I am also getting married on Saturday, and I have a long history with what you are dealing with.

I would 100% recommend some sort of mediation (headspace is really good) and yoga. 

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this right now. Big hugs, it will all be ok xx