Fireworks and Fairy Lights Wedding - 3rd November Report

My wedding is now over 😔 and I’m already starting to feel that wedding shaped hole and desperately am in need of something to fill it! So, thank you to Leigh on the November thread for suggesting we all start a report. I know traditionally reports aren't started until the professional photos arrive, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to wait that long! Besides, I've taken enough of my own photos to get us started and I’ll update when we get the professional ones back.

I’d better start with the mandatory ‘about us’ bit, so here it is:
The bride: R, 24 (25 next month - an important detail 😂), a primary school teacher. 
The groom: J, 26, a royal engineer in the forces. 

We are childhood sweethearts and have been togther for 9 years now. We met at a mutual friends bonfire night party when we were 15 and 17. Things grew from there.

Eventually, I went to uni and we got a place together, which is when J popped the question. We’d discussed marriage before and I said I wanted a low key proposal. It was just that, but so romantic and special! He got down on one knee and asked me the most important question I’ll ever be asked, of course I said YES! As they say, the rest is history. 

• Oooh can't wait to hear more!

• Choosing a date and beginning to plan
    As I said previously, we got engaged while at uni. This was within the first 2 months of being there and as you can imagine, neither of us were in a position to pay for a wedding or have the time to plan one either. We decided it would be a long engagement and we’d revisit things after uni when we both had stable jobs. 

Four years later I finished my BEd and got my first teaching post back in our home town. We moved back home and John made the decision to join the forces as he wasn’t happy with his current employment. He‘d been toying with the idea fpr some time, but we both agreed now was the right time for him to make the jump.

Fast forward to October 2017 and John had the start date for his army induction and I had been teaching for over a year. We decided that we could finally start thinking about planning a wedding! First things first, we needed a rough budget and date. John was ademant that we shouldn’t spend over £7k (non including honeymoon) I was more at the £8.5k mark (again, honeymoon not included). We decided not to set anything in stone at that point, as we really had very little idea about what things cost. So, we decided to set a date and find a venue and then hope that everything else would fall into place. 

We wanted to choose a preferable date as we were limited with school holidays as having time off work wasn’t really something I could guarantee. A summer 2018 seemed to close - 9/10 months to find a venue and plan an entire wedding whilst both of us were working full time - it just wasn’t going to happen. Summer 2019 just seemed too far away and we were keen to finally get the ball rolling. So that left us with October half term 2018 and February half term 2019. We ruled out Christmas because it’s such as busy and expensive time for people and it’s also my brithday month.

I initally suggested a Feb wedding date to J as I’d seen some very reasonable winter packages online that would fit our tight budget. After speaking with J, he wasn’t so keen. He suggested that we go for November because it’s when we met and got engaged - admittedly, this wasn’t even something that crossed my mind, but it was a great idea! I looked at the school calendar and suggested November 3rd 2018 and we agreeded on that date. 

I started reasrching venues and found a few more reasonably priced ones and gave them all call with our date and asked their avialqbility - all booked! Yes, every venue I called with that date had already booked it up and one venue was even holding two weddings that date. For the venues we were a little more keen on, I also enquiried about Feb 2019 but still no luck.  Exasperated, I spoke to J and let him know that none of the venues had either date. We figured that we’d have more look with Feb 2019 though as it was obviously a little later and figured less people would want to get married then.
    It was disappointing that we’d have to go back to Feb 2019 if we wanted to get married on a Saturday (again, limited to the school calendar). Reluctantly we continued our search...

• Woodborough hall
    After weeks and weeks of searching every possible venue within an hour of us, I stumbled across Woodborough Hall. I showed J the pictures online and he was keen too! I emailed them right away and arranged a viewing. This would be the first venue we would go and see in person, and we were excited (when I say we, I actually mean mostly me 😂). 

When we arraived we were greeted by one of the staff members in the entrance room- it did look a little shabby chic, but I think the room was full of character. We were given a tour of the building - small and quaint. When we saw the orangery we were sold! It was a lovely bright room with the November sun and overlooked the picturesque grounds, which could be seen from the large glass windows and doors. We were also showed the main function room an we were relived that there wasn’t a swirly red carpet in sight or garish patterned wallpaper - phew! Instead it was bright and airy with wooden flooring and white walls; simple and classic.

So, with the tour complete, all that was left to do was talk dates and numbers. The usual price for our package was upwards of £7k - almost our entire budget. After some negotiation and an agreement that we’d pay for the wedding in full that day (thanks mum and dad!), we got it for around half that price! There was one condition though - the wedding planner there had a quota to meet for 2018 weddings so we’d have to have it before the end of 2018. This ruled out Feb 2019 which is the date we had intended on booking. I explained that we did have another date that we wanted but discounted it after nowhere seemed to have it available - surely that would be too good to be true though? But, as you might have already guessed from my wedding date, the only free Saturday that they had in November 2018 was the 3rd! And that was it, with what seemed like fate, we had a venue and a date! So, with arguably the most important thing booked, we had just under 12 months to plan the rest of our wedding!

• Oh wow, your venue is stunning! Can’t wait to read more 😊

• Gorgeous venue! Looking forward to reading more. I’m also a primary teacher who was looking at Oct half term, we may be ending up with Christmas now though. We’re so lucky with holidays but just  sometimes I’d wish for less time but a bit of flexibility! 

• Enjoying your report so far!  There's no rule on waiting for pro pics, blog away!!

• Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride

Exciting! Your venue looks gorgeous. I can't wait for more updates 😀

• Thank you for all the kind comments! I’ve just popped on here to say sorry that I’ve not updated this in a few days; I’ll make sure to write my next installment soon! Both myself and my husband (😁) have had a busy week - just yesterday we found out that we’re expecting our first child and we are about 4 weeks pregnant! Plus we’ve been house hunting and we put forward an offer on a house that we like this afternoon. As you can tell, November is definitely our month! 

• What fantastic news, congratulations! 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,942 New bride

Yay congrats!! x

• Aw congratulations!!!

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Congratulations! What a start to married life!

Looking forward to reading more of your report!

• Candice9Candice9 Posts: 230 New bride

Amazing! So many congrats! Xx

• Wow, so much to celebrate! Huge congratulations xxxx

• Congratulations! That’s so amazing. I bet you’re both on cloud nine!

• Thanks again all! I can’t quite belive everything's coming at once but we’re so ready for it! 

• A few early decisions

Now we had a date and venue booked, we could begin thinking about the other key bits of the day. We decided early on that a fireworks show was a must for an early November wedding, and I began contacting some companies. Unfortunately for us, most companies hiked their prices us for wedding displays booked between November and December with it being bonfire night and New Years Eve. It was becoming obvious that were weren’t going to get anything in the £600-£700 bracket we’d set as most quotes were between £2k - £3k for a matter of minutes. 

Eventually I came across a company familiar with my venue who were willing to do us a deal. 10 minutes of a non-stop display (obviously with rises and falls in intensity to make it exciting) for £1000. This were also willing to include the a special firework to end the show with mine and J’s initials, but unfortunately this was forgotten about and we didn’t have it on the day :(

But, with the display booked, we landed on a fireworks and fairlights theme. We wanted lots of lights and it to be very twinkly. We also chose our colour scheme which was navy with silver and whites. As you’ll see later in the thread, we tied this in where we could, like on the formal invites, decoration etc. 

Here are a couple of early inspiration pics I saved:

• MrsPope2018MrsPope2018 Posts: 1,197 New bride

Nottinghamshire that colour pallet looks gorgeous! Love the idea of all the lights 😍

I'm really enjoying reading all this! Congratulations on your news! It sounds just perfect.

Those colours are gorgeous as well.

• T Minus 6 Days

With the wedding 6 days away, I had planned to go to a last minute wedding fare with mum. The main purpose was to see the magic mirror I’d booked in action as, like so many of my other suppliers, I wasn’t able to get an appointment around the time of booking. We got to test out the mirror, which we were both very impressed with. The quality of photo was good and it printed quickly - what more can you ask from a photo booth? It did have some added extras though and we enjoyed signing the photos and adding in different icons/emojis, too. I also liked the guest book, it was more of a traditional album where you side the photos into the clear slot. Finally, we got to look at some frames for the mirror and I selected an ornate sliver. The most popular choice was a floral number, but it just didn’t fit with out colour scheme and looked too summery for an autumnal wedding. 

There was little else else to look at, at the fare. All in all, I’d say there was between 12-15 stands ranging from cake, to stationary to photographers. All of which I’d organised by this point. Having decided we’d seen enough we popped to the room next door to grab a glass of orange juice for me and Buck’s Fizz for mum. Seeing the hotels ceromony room made me even more grateful for my venue. Imagine the typical swirly carpets and corporate curtains. Even with the curtains open, it wasn’t a great view - a few bushes to the back of the building with a glaringly obvious fire assembly point sign. 

When I arrived a home, I had a rather large delivery waiting - my wedding dress storage box. It was massive and so much bigger than I expected! I bought this on a bit of a whim and ordered the biggest size knowing my dress is rather large. Rookie mistake - always read the measurements! It turns out this dress box is meant for full on ballgowns! After contacting the company, who have been generally very helpful, I’ve decided not to exchange the box for a smaller size as the cost of return shipping just doesn’t make it worth it. The box is very pretty (pic below), and will look lovely on display, I reckon. 

• Leigh83 wrote (see post):

I'm really enjoying reading all this! Congratulations on your news! It sounds just perfect.

Thank you so much Leigh! And thanks for stopping by! I’ve been so busy recently that I’ve not popped back to the November thread. Remind me when you wedding is?

More good news has come today aswell! The estate agents phoned to say our lastest offer has been accepted! 😁

• Just had a catch up, congrats on all your exciting news! 

• FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):

Just had a catch up, congrats on all your exciting news! 

Thank you! We’re feeling very blessed right now! 😊

• T Minus 5 Days

🎵🎶 Work, work, work, work, work, work 🎵🎶 - Rihanna eat your heart out 😂

Monday was a pretty intense day but not because of wedding stuff, because I had actual work to do. The last week of term was manic and I didn't get nearly as much done in the working week as I wanted. And that only meant one thing... I'd have to find the time in the chaos of the week of the wedding to get it done 😪 So, I had the remaining parents' eveing reports to write, marking to catch up with, assessment data to record and finally planning to do since I didn't get all of my PPA time before half term. This took the entire day and I still didn't have time to get down the list! This was actually a real shame as I was supposed to be meeting up with some uni friends but had to cancel and proritse getting the above done. They all came to the wedding though, so we got a bit of a belated ctach up then! 

Amongst all of this, I did decide to start my confetti cone trays. I was not paying the ridiculous prices for a peice of card with holes in, so I decided to make my own. I had thought of the idea a little while ago, and knew exactly what I wanted to do. It was just about excecuting the plan and hopng the relaity was as good as the vision in my head. I asked my dad to help me with those, which he thankfully did. (Pictures of the cone trays to follow)
  • Congratulations!!!

Loving the report so far :) can't wait to see how it turned out!

Nottinghamshirewife wrote (see post):
    Leigh83 wrote (see post):

Thank you so much Leigh! And thanks for stopping by! I’ve been so busy recently that I’ve not popped back to the November thread. Remind me when you wedding is?

More good news has come today aswell! The estate agents phoned to say our lastest offer has been accepted! 😁

Wow, sounds like you are having an amazing time of it! You must be so excited!

My wedding is on the 17th, so not long at all now!

• Nottinghamshirewife wrote (see post):

T Minus 5 Days

Monday was a pretty intense day but not because of wedding stuff, because I had actual work to do. The last week of term was manic and I didn't get nearly as much done in the working week as I wanted. And that only meant one thing... I'd have to find the time in the chaos of the week of the wedding to get it done 😪 So, I had the remaining parents' eveing reports to write, marking to catch up with, assessment data to record and finally planning to do since I didn't get all of my PPA time before half term. This took the entire day and I still didn't have time to get down the list! This was actually a real shame as I was supposed to be meeting up with some uni friends but had to cancel and proritse getting the above done. They all came to the wedding though, so we got a bit of a belated ctach up then! 

Amongst all of this, I did decide to start my confetti cone trays. I was not paying the ridiculous prices for a peice of card with holes in, so I decided to make my own. I had thought of the idea a little while ago, and knew exactly what I wanted to do. It was just about excecuting the plan and hopng the relaity was as good as the vision in my head. I asked my dad to help me with those, which he thankfully did. (Pictures of the cone trays to follow)

This is what I worry about. I am getting married in the May half term which means teaching, lesson planning and marking up until the Friday, then we're off to Scotland to get married on the Monday. And when we get back, my students start their GCSE exams, oh joy!

Enjoying the report so far, looking forward to reading the rest.

• KerryNash2B wrote (see post):
    Nottinghamshirewife wrote (see post):

T Minus 5 Days

This is what I worry about. I am getting married in the May half term which means teaching, lesson planning and marking up until the Friday, then we're off to Scotland to get married on the Monday. And when we get back, my students start their GCSE exams, oh joy!

Enjoying the report so far, looking forward to reading the rest.

We’re getting married in the Christmas holidays next year and I’ll finish on the Friday and get married on the Sunday. The half term before Christmas in Early Years is quite hideous too, I think I might be mad to have picked it. My plan is to let people help as much as possible and just do without anything that seems too time consuming/stress inducing. We’re trying to keep the budget low but I can see myself just throwing money at any problems as time goes on, so I’d probably be buying the expensive confetti cones, all credit to you Nottinghamshirewife for doing it yourself! 

• Leigh83, not long at all! I will definitely be reading your report when (and if) you do one!

KerryNash2B, it was a busy week, if I'm being honest, and I didn't feel like I got much of a break! Having said that, I am sooo glad we did it when we did! My boss gave me the Monday off so I used that to relax and let everything sink in. 

CavalierBride, we too were on a budget and I just couldn't justify the cost of certain things when I could do myself! If you do decide to do DIY, I think the key is to start early and not leave it to the last minute like me!