Forum home Your wedding reports

Our November Village Hall Wedding

So my partner A and I got married on 17th November. Just a brief introduction about us. We met online July 2016, and from pretty early on knew this relationship was special. I moved into A's house around Easter 2017. A did ask me to move in with her, but she was quite nervous about it and I had to drag it out of her. So we made a deal that I would propose.

At some point A got fed up of waiting and told me I should get on with it, so 10 days later I dragged her out for a walk in the snow and asked her to marry me. This was in February. I knew that neither of us wanted a ring so it was quite easy. I was very nervous though!

We settled on a November wedding as we didn't want a summer wedding and I was worried about snow. 

I'll start with the report now, and probably go through little bits of how we chose various bits as I go. Though as I'm still waiting for most of the photos it'll have to be done in bits.



  • Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride
    edited November 2018
  • Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride

    I'll start from the day before. As we had a village hall reception there was a lot of setting up to do. We were able to get in from 12:30, however there was a badminton group in the main hall till shortly before 4, so we were only able to get into the adjoining rooms.

    We had both sets of parents, plus A's brother and his girlfriend. This was really stressful! There were points when there weren't enough jobs for people, before we could get into the hall. And having people keeping asking what they could do was really exhausting! But we made a start with the entrance hallway, the outside, putting succulents into jars, flowers into vases. At about half 2 we sent my parents to buy fish and chips for everyone, which was lovely! Once we were able to get into the hall we were able to start putting up fairly lights and lanterns. That was all really nice and looked really pretty.

    Once we had done all that we got to trying to get the tables into position. This was pretty stressful, trying to fit everything in, ensuring there was sufficient space for the DJ and for the dancefloor. I did lose my temper a bit here!

    Some friends of mine arrived between 4 and 5 to help. I was able to set them to decorating the bar, and making garlands. They commented that I seemed very calm, which surprised me as I was a frazzled mess by this time!

    We had bought tablecloths for everything but decided to iron them when we got there as it was quite difficult to iron a massive table cloth on a standard ironing board, but it took ages to get them all done. This was probably one of the biggest delays, as couldn't get the centerpieces sorted until all that.

    In the end we did manage to finish by about half past 8. It was a massive relief when it was all done! At time it seemed like it would never be finished. I was also feeling really bad about my friends having had to stay so late. But the hall looked really good and ready for our wedding reception!

  • The hall looks lovely! Looking forward to reading more. 
  • Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride
    Absolutely adore the colour co-ordination in your outfits and how this flows into your hall decor. Love a good flowing theme and look forward to reading more. 
  • Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride
    Thank you both! Yeah, I was really pleased with how the hall looked in the end. I was a bit worried it wouldn't look that nice, but I think we did well. A planned most of it, she has a good eye for things!
  • Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,136 New bride
    Congratulations!! I love how your colours work so well together and coordinate so well between decor, outfits and even your wife’s hair! I admire anyone who can pull off all the DIY of a village hall wedding!!
  • Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride
    So, once we finished setting up the hall I headed back home with my friends. I didn't have any bridesmaids, but a few friends were staying with me tonight. These were my witness and his partner, and another close friend, who was going to have the rings in the ceremony, and a friend of hers that I had stay so she wouldn't be on her own. A was staying in a hotel in the village. I had planned to shower, use my Jo Malone body creme, paint my toe nails. I had hoped that we'd have a relaxing evening with my friends, but I was so stressed by this point! I don't drive so I got a lift with one of my friends. My friends are all based down south, and the journey home was along winding country roads in Yorkshire, in the dark, so this journey was pretty unpleasant. It did not help my mood at all!

    When we got back there was talk of pizza. I had just thought we would order a couple of pizzas and all just eat whatever, but everyone was starving, so it was a massive deal trying to agree on anything. Although I will admit that when the pizza came I actually ate loads! I must have been hungrier than I realised. It was pretty good as well.

    We stayed up pretty late talking. It was nice to catch up with my friends. They had all met briefly, but didn't know each other, but everyone got on really well, which was nice. I was waiting for someone to say that they wanted to go to bed, but no one did! So in the end at around 11 I said I had to head off to bed. I was absolutely shattered, and still needed to have a shower. I had given up on the idea of painting my toe nails. I was going to be wearing tights, and my shoes were closed toes, so it didn't seem worth the stress. I went up and showered and everything, then got ready for bed. Once I was in bed I phoned A. I was so stressed I missed her so much! And I cried on the phone. But I did feel better after we talked for a bit.

    We said goodbye at around midnight. I fell asleep pretty quickly. And I was getting married tomorrow!
  • Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride
    The Wedding morning

    I woke up at around 4am the next morning. All that pizza was making me feel very thirsty and uncomfortable. I lay awake for a while, just on the internet and similar. After a while I began to feel better, but by that time I was too excited to sleep! I think it was around 7am when I got up, but at that point no one else was up. I think I emptied the dishwasher, sorted out my shoes, jewellery, and everything else for the detail shots. After a while people did start to get up, and the morning got started. 

    The florist arrived at around half 8. I was really pleased with my bouquet - it was absolutely beautiful! I also got my florist to admire my dress - I was very excited! We had breakfast at around 9am - bacon sandwiches, croissants with Bucks Fizz. After breakfast I went to get showered, and reapplied all my body creme. I had bought Wood Sage and Sea Salt and Wild Bluebell perfumes from Jo Malone to wear together, and Wild Bluebell body wash and Wood Sage and Sea Salt body creme. I'm not actually certain it was all worth it in terms of the smell, but I enjoyed the ritual of it! Once I'd got out of the shower and put on my brand new pyjamas, I decided I did in fact have time to paint my toe nails.

    My parents arrived at around half 10. My dad had to go and get the car cleaned (we hadn't ordered cars) and I showed my mum and my friend H how I would need to get into my dress. The hair and makeup artist arrived just before 11. A couple of weeks before the wedding I had an email from the woman I had booked, saying she was no longer able to work on my wedding day, but that she had arranged someone else. I had been in touch with the other woman, but I was a bit nervous about it. I was very happy when she turned up early! She started with my mum's hair, and I sat with them and drank more Bucks Fizz. Once she had done my mum's hair it was my turn for my hair and makeup. She did a really good job, I was really happy with it. She was also really good about making sure I got exactly what I wanted, I guess since she hadn't done my trial. 

    The photographers arrived a bit before 12 and I sent them upstairs where all the individual items were to take the detail shots.

    After my hair and makeup was done I had a bit of a break for lunch. I had bought food for everyone, including the photographers and hair and makeup artist, but none of them ate any of it, so quite a lot of food was leftover. But my friends, parents and I all enjoyed it. Then I went up (at about 1) to get into my dress. I went up with my mum and H to help me. It was a bit strange, as I couldn't wear a bra with my dress and wasn't that happy about my mum and H seeing me virtually naked! And I did accidentally flash H a bit of boob (I thought I had covered myself with my hand, but I had failed!). Then the photographer came up and I had some pictures of me getting ready, and some final pictures upstairs once I was ready.

    I was trying to arrange everyone to make sure we were all ready to have some photos before leaving. So it was a bit chaotic, but I think probably not too bad compared to most wedding mornings! I wanted to have some pictures with my parents and my friends and then it was time to leave! My friends headed off first then I left with my parents (although the only slight hitch of the day was about to happen and delay our departure slightly!).

    I'll post some photos next, but continue with the rest of the day another time.
  • Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride
    I'm struggling to upload pictures at the moment, but I'll do it as soon as I can.
  • Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride
    Ashley I only just saw your post! Thank you so much. We didn't intentionally coordinate with A's hair, but it did work quite well!
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 947 New bride
    I love how you did the hall. We're also DIYing a town hall so glad to see you managed it fine! We're going for more fairy lights and some Christmas trees.
  • Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride
    The pictures are in a weird order, but should give an idea of the sort of thing I was going for!

    I worked out what I did wrong - I was trying to upload them as files instead of images!
  • Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride
    OmRum I was terrified that the hall would look awful, but actually it worked really well. Even if the hall is a bit bare, it is totally doable to make it look amazing!
  • Your dress is so gorgeous! Can't wait to hear more! 
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 947 New bride
    As an embroidery fan I love the close up photo of your dress. Where did you get it? It is so unique.
  • Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride
    Oh thanks both of you! It is actually (probably) unique.

    The dress I got is this one. But the shop where I bought it is run by a dressmaker, and she sourced the applique seperately in the colours I wanted, removed the original beaded detail on the dress and replaced it with the colours. It was quite stressful at times, as I didn't know when I would see it or really what it would look like when it was done. But when I saw it I was so happy! It was really worth it.
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride
    Gosh your flowers and dress are just stunning!
  • Wow your flowers are so beautiful and work so well with the amazing dress. 
  • Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride
    Thank you both! I was really pleased with both the dress and the flowers. I couldn't have asked for anything better. The flowers smelled lovely as well!
  • Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride
    Leaving for the ceremony

    So this was really the only disaster of the day. And a pretty minor one. As we were heading out to leave my dad was parked on the kerb and the pavement is quite narrow. My mum was saying to go round but I didn't, and I got a massive black mark on my dress! 

    I had been so careful before this, washing my hands every time I touched it and everything, and now this! It was ok though, we went back into the house and managed to sponge most of it out. And no one would have seen it anyway!

    But then when getting into the car, because the skirt was so big and the car door wouldn't open that wide, I got a tiny bit of grease on the dress! This was a bit upsetting my now. My mum sat with me in the back and used a wet wipe to get this out (it was a much smaller mark). This one didn't come out completely, but to be honest I don't think I thought about it the rest of the day. And I don't think anyone else knew about it.

    This was, as far as I'm aware, the biggest disaster of the day. So not too bad.
  • Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride

    We got to the registry office pretty early. We just sat in the car for a bit as the previous wedding was still leaving, and didn't want to ruin it for them. At one point some of my friends walked right past the car. I wrapped my shawl around my dress as I defi Italy didn't want them to see it. They didn't spot me at all, which was a relief. And then my brother and SIL came to say hello, so I had to hide my dress from them as well.

    At some point I saw A arrive (I'd already seen what she was wearing so it didn't matter). I was so relieved! I think I'd just been a bit stressed in case something happened that meant we couldn't get married. But she was there, and I was there, so it was all fine!

    After everyone had gone in (And the previous wedding party had left) we went in. We were going to have the meeting with the registrar together, but I didn't want us to be all flustered when we saw each other, so I got someone to make sure she stayed in the room. The photographer asked if they should take photos of this and I said yes. We hadn't planned a first look, but it just sort of worked out that way. And it was so lovely! There were our parents around for a bit, but then we had a bit of time on our own (with the photographers) and it was so nice to spend that time together. I think wedding photographers are used to being ignored!

    We had our meeting with the registrar. At some point during that A's mum came in and I got her to help me with my hair, as some of it had slipped down. And then that was it, we were ready to get married!

    I'll post some pictures of the first look later, I'm on the bus to work and just about to get off now!
  • Aw that look!!! That is the look of absolute pure love, what a fantastic photo!
  • GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,311 New bride
    Oh I love those photos!! And your outfits look great together. 
    Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,136 New bride
    That last picture just made me Awww out loud. Doesn’t everyone want someone who looks at them like that!!
  • Wow those looks and smiles! Those photos radiate happiness and love. 
  • CharleahCharleah Posts: 248 New bride
    Looooove your thread so far! Gorgeous photos 
Sign In or Register to comment.