Vegas Here We Come!

• Thank you @MrsGtoB , I have to tell you I thought you looked stunning in your dress.  It was elegant and sexy at the same time and you pulled it off beautifully from the first time you tried her on.   :) <3   I remember you having some negative feedback on the date you had chosen for your wedding and thinking, "Are these people serious?  She's picked the perfect date!! Who doesn't want to have a wedding to look forward to after the holidays??"    I hope married life is treating you well?

• The Beauty Plan
    I'm hugely fascinated with all things beauty and have been ever since I was little.  Unfortunately I work in a very gruff, male-dominated industry, so I'm a bit alone with my fascination. (My OH's children are all young men, so no fun to be had with them eyeballing pretty shades of pink nail polish or learning new ways to curl hair.)  I get my fix reading up online on various blogs and watching YouTube for all the latest products for hair and make-up and the newest techniques.  
    Hair
    It's (hopefully!) not obvious, but I'm actually naturally blonde.  I'm not fond of the exact blonde colour I am, so I used to get my hair highlighted.  After a particularly bad dye job that burned off my long locks from chest length to chin length ( :'()  I gave up on being blonde at all.  I've been progressively dying my hair on my own darker, to the point it is now, which is a very dark brown.  I've also been growing my hair (back) since that incident in 2014.  It seems to pretty much have reached its stopping point as the length right now looks identical to a picture I have on my desk from last spring...and I've only had one small trim since then! The hair plan is to get a good trim very soonly to clean up the very sordid ends (by a professional) but to continue colouring my hair (the same colour) on my own.  My family is not fond of my hair colour (and I've also received negative feedback from others) but I just feel like it suits me and I love the fact I can maintain the colour myself around my busy schedule.  I have a variety of clip in hair extensions as well in my current colour, which I may experiment with as far as a style for our big day.  (I'm completely undecided as to how to style my hair for then.)
    Brows
    The big secret is out - I basically have no eyebrows.  Nope, pretty much none.  It wasn't always this way, but I've noticed as I've aged that they have gotten more & more sparse to the point where there was basically nothing there at all.  Add to that the fact that they are naturally very light coloured, and you have a situation where "doing" your brows every morning is a big production! Freehand-drawing them on every morning took forever and I never felt like they were even (or the same size/ thickness), and then there was the fear that they would get smudged during the day (massive embarrassment!)  I didn't even wash that area on my face in the shower at night to avoid having to re-draw them for the benefit of my OH (trust me, very dark hair and missing brows is not a sexy nighttime look!)  After much research, I decided to get them microbladed.  This was a HUGE decision for me as I've read about as many horror stories as I have success stories.  But I found a local salon that had great looking pics on their Insta, so I set up a consultation, and from there, decided to proceed.  Exactly two weeks out, I am IN LOVE with my new brows and only wish I had done it sooner!  It is literally lifechanging for someone that had nothing.  To anyone contemplating, I say do your research and go for it!
  • GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,265 New bride
    Oh they are all gorgeous. 3 and 1 are my favourites. But yes, avoiding shedding piles of glitter is probably preferable! 
    Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • I agree, 1 is GORGEOUS and as much as i love number 3, you'd be finding that glitter everywhere for years to come, and it doesnt have the same pazazz to it. 

Really really pleased you love your new Brows! My friend had hers done a few years back for her wedding and has never looked back since! I have bushes stuck on my face, but im debating it to fill in because one is a good 1/2 inch further away from the center of my face than the other haha. Does it hurt? 
  • @CoffeeDogAddict it didn't really hurt.  Part of my issue too was that one brow naturally was a lot higher at the sprouts than the other, which made "evening them up" a huge trial every morning (in addition to filling them in).  Apparently a lot of techs apply a lidocaine pain-numbing cream before they start and you feel basically nothing at all.  My tech preferred to do the past pass of colour without numbing cream as it yields better results, then she applied the cream and waited a bit, and then did the second round of blading.  So for the first bit of microblading, it didn't really hurt much, but I did flinch a bit.  For the second pass, I didn't feel anything at all.  More than painful, the sound was kind of gross, like nails on a chalkboard but in your head.  (My tech said some people wear earbuds and listen to music during to avoid the weird "sound.")  I have a touch-up appointment next month and I'm not fearing it at all - I'm actually excited to get the last little bits tweaked to perfection!

• Beauty - Continued!

My Skincare
    I hate talking about my skin honestly.  I had been plagued with acne since I was about 10 years old.  I was so incredibly embarrassed as a young girl to be the only one in our small class with spots.  Once I got to be a teenager, the spots continued but were joined by larger swaths of acne, usually on my forehead, temples, chin, or sides of nose.  Getting contact lens instead of glasses helped, but the spots continued.  I tried every topical product you could buy in stores and was religious about my skincare, but the best I could ever do was keep it slightly under control.  Every morning was a matter of tending to the spots that were on their way out and figuring out what to do with the couple of new ones.  I started seeing various dermatologists, but their drugs and topical products, for the most part, did less for me that the ones I could buy in stores.  I thought my skin would get drier and improve as I aged, but it actually was starting to have worse breakouts on my chin last year this time.  They weren't just unsightly, they were painful, long-lasting, and starting to cause scarring.  I was officially losing the battle.

Finally, this past summer I decided to make the push for doing Accutane.  I'm sterile, so the lengthy pregnancy disclaimers and precautions were a non-issue, and due to my age and number of years with the condition, I was able to get approved by my doctor.  I finished my last pill around Halloween and have been almost 100% spot-free ever since!  I've only had two very small, almost unnoticeable spots since then and they disappeared in about 24 hours.  What a change.  I used to DREAD looking in the mirror every morning to see what I was going to have to deal with, and now I don't.  I've actually started getting facials, which is something I NEVER could have done before.  I couldn't even touch my face with my hands without it breaking out, no less use a cream or oil on it.  I now do monthly facials and they are the most relaxing thing ever - she even does a neck and shoulder massage whilst the mask processes!

To anyone else plagued with spots...maybe consider the Accutane (isotretinoin), even if it means private-pay.  It's absolutely NOT an option for anyone contemplating pregnancy, but if you aren't and you've tried literally everything else, it could help you like it did me.   It's saved me literally hundreds in money and hours, and is such a boost to the self-esteem <3
  • Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 456 New bride
    All dresses are lovely, but number 1 is my favourite by absolutely miles (and was from the online pics too before they arrived!) It's gorgeous and you look absolutely amazing 😍. Not many people could pull off a dress like that!

I'm not planning pregnancy for a good few years, and really struggle with my skin so I may look into the Accurate, thanks! I'm really worried about it being a mess on the day (which is highly likely at the moment) so I really need something like that, and nothing I've tried has worked so far. Thanks for the tip!
  • I don’t know how I didn’t see your thread before, I’m loving catching up on it now. Dress 1 is my favourite too, you look stunning! 
  • MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride
    Thank you @MrsGtoB , I have to tell you I thought you looked stunning in your dress.  It was elegant and sexy at the same time and you pulled it off beautifully from the first time you tried her on.   :) <3   I remember you having some negative feedback on the date you had chosen for your wedding and thinking, "Are these people serious?  She's picked the perfect date!! Who doesn't want to have a wedding to look forward to after the holidays??"    I hope married life is treating you well?

Thank you 💓 I did love it SO much and now hubby is pestering at me to sell it but I keep avoiding it 😂
    The date was not a problem at all and we had 1 decline from our day guests in the end as she couldn't get the day off. My sister kindly kept her mouth shut on the subject although they didn't get us even a card! 
    I keep looking at microblading but worry in case it looks rubbish I might have to do some more research now I've no wedding to plan.
  • @Cecilia13 you are quite welcome.  My sincere wish is that other ladies can glean some value or ideas for their own lives through my thread.  The Accutane treatment through private pay is likely pricey, but IMO, after all I was through, worth every single penny.  I only wish I had done it sooner.
    @CavalierBride I have been quietly stalking your thread! You and I feel the same way about our fur babies.  I can't recall, did you plan to give Fred a role in your big day?  Your dress is beautiful, congrats on finding her! I would def go the way of a faux fur stole.
    @MrsGtoB my suggestion on the microblading is one, do your research (obviously, right).  Look at samples of the person's work on social media; if they have real pics posted of recent clients and you like what you see, chances are, things will go well.  I also highly suggest going conservative - go smaller and lighter than you think you want, because you will go back for "touch-up" appointments and then you can have them add additional strokes or colour if you feel you need it.  You can always add volume and colour, but you can't really take it away once it's in!  I think it's almost impossible to be disappointed with this approach, and you def won't end up looking like a bad version of Cara Delevingne.
  • Accommodations - Finally Booked!
    So after much debate and way too much research, we have finally booked our hotel!  We might regret this due to the obvious noise, but we have booked at the Bellagio for a fountain view room! My OH and I are not nightowls by an extent of the imagination (and think an early bedtime is a "luxury"!) but we have decided to splash out and stay at my dream hotel, The Bellagio, with a room complete with a fountain view.  I've seen the fountain show before at street level and it was incredible.  They played Sarah Brightman's Time to Say Goodbye, and she just happens to be one of my favourites; this was back in 2007ish.  I'll looking forward to seeing the show again, this time with an eagle-eye view!  I plan to buy a noise-cancelling headphones so that sleeping through the show when I don't want to see/hear it shouldn't be a problem.  I know those can be expensive, but as I also despise flying, I figure I can use them on the plane and on future flights.

• @CavalierBride I have been quietly stalking your thread! You and I feel the same way about our fur babies.  I can't recall, did you plan to give Fred a role in your big day?  Your dress is beautiful, congrats on finding her! I would def go the way of a faux fur stole.
    Thank you! I love the dress so much that just thinking about it is getting me through a really crappy week work and weather wise! 

Im not sure about a role for Fred, we definitely want him to be part of the day somehow. The difficulty is that my FIL is so in love with him that he has kind of taken him over a bit, it’s like he’s their dog now sometimes, but I don’t complain because they look after him so well whilst we are at work, and it’s nice they care so much. HOWEVER, my ideal plan would be to have Fred at the ceremony, in a few photos and be generally made a fuss of, and then to arrange someone to collect him and take him home where he can sleep in peace which is all he really wants these days. In laws don’t drink and aren’t staying over so they could, if they felt they had to, collect him on their way home. But FIL is all ‘no he’s got to be there the full day, I’ll look after him, oh come on you can’t leave him out blah blah blah’. Which is ridiculous- what do they think Fred is actually going to enjoy about a busy day with lots of people milling about, food he’s not allowed to eat and noise and confusion? I know what will happen is that he’ll get really greedy when the food comes out and start demanding some (note - he never begged or barked for food until he met my in laws who started feeding him from the table, now he expects it all the time) and, once FIL has fed him everything he thinks he can get away with from his own plate he’ll start taking him off for walks and basically miss the whole of his son’s wedding because he’s too busy fussing about the bloody dog. 

So I’m going to insist on my original plan, I’m just not quite sure who I can ask to collect him since Anyone we know close enough to do that favour is obviously invited to the wedding! 
  • Oh god so Sorry for the rant/thread derail there! Clearly it’s been on my mind!

Oh wow the bellagio will be amazing, I’m excited for you. That’s where I was going to start my honeymoon with my ex, there’s so much I’m glad about now that that wedding didn’t happen, but I’ll forever mourn that dream honeymoon we planned/booked! I know you’ve mentioned some shows but I can’t remember if you’ve said which you’re going for? Are you going to do the bottomless champagne brunch? 
  • We actually had three of our dogs at our original/ legal wedding.  We actually chose the venue we did because it was dog friendly and the ceremony could be outside (and therefore thinking the dogs could spend time outside during the reception too).  Honestly, I would absolutely do it all over again with the dogs, but we were fortunate that a good friend of my OH's (who also works with dogs professionally) isn't much of a social butterfly and both offered to help with them on the day and then to take them home early.  You're right in that the noise, commotion, and heat (they got very hot both inside and out despite it NOT being a hot day) are very unenjoyable to the canine element.  I felt bad as it was clear they were confused most of the time and not having a good time the rest.  Our friend collected them and took them home I'd say about an hour into the reception.  If you have someone that can help with Fred, I'd say absolutely do it, but if you don't, for me it would be a no-go.  I'd agree with you that FIL is probably not the best choice in your situ, but maybe you could find a less-close relative or an acquaintance that might enjoy the task (and if a shy soul, may even be grateful for an early escape).   If you decide to proceed, I think you will love having him there, but only if you have the right helper :)
  • I realized in talking dogs with @CavalierBride I never really discussed my proposal (I suppose being this a vow renewal, the significance of that story wanes a bit).  My proposal came at home, with the ring attached 'round the collar of my dearest fur baby ever.  She passed just a little over 2 years ago and there isn't a day I don't miss her terribly. But I'll always be grateful for our memories, including her little role walking down the aisle at our wedding carrying the rings.

Her most famous role though was of nap-taker.  She was a champ at that.
  • So gorgeous Kitty! What was her name? How lovely that she was such a big part of your proposal and wedding xx
  • Aw what a beautiful girl! Im so sorry for your loss <3
  • @CavalierBride and @CoffeeDogAddict , thank you both.  I was getting completely teared up at my desk writing this yesterday.  Her name was Dixie.  She passed just short of her 14th birthday, which is no small feat for a large breed dog.  Best of all, she was healthy and spunky right until the last 24 hours.

I'm fortunate in that we have loads of pets, including her granddaughter.  This little dumpling will be 2 years old on Valentines' Day.  She is proper wild and I am looking forward to the day she settles down like her 
    grandmother!  Dogs are such a huge part of our lives; the worst part about going on holidays is being away from them!  I'm going to miss them all so much whilst we're in Vegas and it's not like you can ring them to say hello.

• Random post for the day: we are having a cold spell that's unusual even for this part of the world.  This was the temp as reading on my car's external thermometer this morning on my commute to the office:

Yes, that -27F (about -33C), plus we have gusting winds they say are creating a windchill of anywhere from -40 to -50F.  I was going to try a spray tan this week; erm, no think I'll go straight home after work and keep all of my clothes on at all times.  Is it any wonder we are looking forward to going out to the desert in the off (hot) season??
  • Oh my god surely not?!?! Thats unreal! I thought my morning was bad at -2C haha. 
    If i were you i wouldn't be leaving my duvet for love nor money!
  • MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride
    Wow and we thought we struggled with our inch or so of snow this morning  :D 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,540 New bride

Yep, C's colleagues in Detroit are dealing with -30c this week.

I went to Stockholm and it was -18 and that was the coldest I've ever felt!

• @MrsCToBee , crazy small world we live in.  I am not that far from Detroit.  Why oh why we stay here is beyond me at times like this, esp in that my OH owns his businesses and can run them from virtually anywhere!
    They say we are due for more snow tomorrow as well, and we already have about 2' piled up.  Hopefully this next snowfall won't be much. @Cecilia13 , it's days like this where I was thinking about your trip to Russia and how it really isn't any better here weather-wise.  I have Minsk saved on my weather app and it's been considerably warmer there of late!  I've been watching it for the past year, and that is often the case.

The dry heat of the Nevada desert will be a welcome feeling come our day in May.  I'm being perfectly honest when I say that the weather here played a large role in my decision not to have the marquee family gathering kind of event that I had originally envisioned.  Marquee weddings aren't cheap to begin with, but when you have to rent the tent with all of the sidewalls, plus floor, plus heaters as you absolutely know the weather will be cold (and likely wet), it's a lot of added expense.  May is still generally cold and rainy here, and usually continues into almost mid-June.  My OH and I have tried to do little local seaside getaways for our anniversaries in the past and the last one was an epic fail.  

• Good god -27! That’s insane! 

The coldest I’ve ever been was when I worked in Boston (the US not UK one). There were days we legally weren’t allowed to let the children play outside. Still nothing like -27 though, they’re only on -2 at the moment I always check! 
  • Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 456 New bride
    I now know the feeling 😂. Yikes! The coldest we had was -27°c, but we were lucky because just after we left Siberia it dropped to -45°c so I can't really complain. Also that's just experiencing a few weeks of that and constantly being bowled over by the snow and sparkling ice everywhere,  not having to live with it!

Beautiful dogs! One of my bridesmaids has two doggies in Paris and I miss them so much, I almost invited them to the wedding too (Unfortunately not going to happen in my granny's garden!).
    @MrsCToBee , crazy small world we live in.  I am not that far from Detroit.  Why oh why we stay here is beyond me at times like this, esp in that my OH owns his businesses and can run them from virtually anywhere!
    They say we are due for more snow tomorrow as well, and we already have about 2' piled up.  Hopefully this next snowfall won't be much. @Cecilia13 , it's days like this where I was thinking about your trip to Russia and how it really isn't any better here weather-wise.  I have Minsk saved on my weather app and it's been considerably warmer there of late!  I've been watching it for the past year, and that is often the case.

The dry heat of the Nevada desert will be a welcome feeling come our day in May.  I'm being perfectly honest when I say that the weather here played a large role in my decision not to have the marquee family gathering kind of event that I had originally envisioned.  Marquee weddings aren't cheap to begin with, but when you have to rent the tent with all of the sidewalls, plus floor, plus heaters as you absolutely know the weather will be cold (and likely wet), it's a lot of added expense.  May is still generally cold and rainy here, and usually continues into almost mid-June.  My OH and I have tried to do little local seaside getaways for our anniversaries in the past and the last one was an epic fail.  

He sort of indirectly works for General Motors so he can't fail to know people in Detroit 🤣 No wonder you are looking forward to the warmth of Vegas!
  • @MrsCToBee, we live about 12 minutes from a former large GM plant.  They closed it some years ago now.  It used to be this area's largest employer.  What a coincidence.

We had -31F this morning.  I took the liberty of letting my boss know I would be a little late.  The roads especially near home are still icy and I was actually afraid temps that cold would bust something on my car.  As it were, she has a brand new battery (as the existing died on Monday) and it was still a struggle to get my car to want to run.  We also had problems with water lines and the thermostat in one of our outbuildings.  We are supposed to get more snow tonight, and then it's supposed to warm up at the weekend and rain.  That will mean the rain will freeze overnight when the temps drop, making travel virtually impossible.  Vegas cannot come fast enough...
  • Shoes!
    Has anyone else noticed during this planning thing, that about as soon as you feel like something is sorted, that you come up with a "better" idea?  And that that "better" idea always involves more money??  Or maybe it's just me!  I felt so lucky because I found a box of shoes in the back depths of my closet that would match my dress perfectly.  They are comfy, they are sparkly, and I know they fit as I've already worn them.  Like once.  No good reason not to wear them again...right?
    Here they are (I can't remember if they are Betsey Johnson or an imitation):

SO I should have let well enough alone...but I didn't and I went online shoe shopping and now of course have a dozen other pairs I like better!  I think I am going to go ahead and splash out if I can find a pair that has a taller heel and will match one of the dresses I'm wearing to one of the shoes.  If I can get more than one use out of her, that's a good justification.  My dress is also a bit long and I figure new shoes will be much cheaper than alterations on a heavily beaded dress - well that's my story anyway!
    I love those shoes, I'd never be able to walk in them, I'm impressed!

Oddly, my manager and her husband used to work for GM and her brother in law manages a GM plant in Detroit - it's a really small world.
  • Those shoes are gorgeous!! Ive done exactly the same though, i won a pair that are gorgeous but theyre a killer to walk in, so i feel like that makes it ok to buy like 3 other pairs to just trial run...