We've got a while yet... BUT wanting to get some ideas down!

No idea what to write in something like this but just want somewhere to get all my ideas down -for me to see rather than anyone else! Also for something to look back on after it's all done and dusted.  

We have booked to get married over May bank holiday in 2021 so we're a long way off yet but I'm a very organised person generally (& oh is the same) so imagine we'll be the same way as the planning starts - excited to get going but holding off in case we change our minds on what we like! 

• Future.Mrs.F.Future.Mrs.F. Posts: 18 New bride
    edited 30 January
    How We Met

J and I met in 2014 and after a week or so of texting, we very typically went to a pub for a few drinks for our first date. I was so hungover from going out the night before that i just couldn't face drinking so stuck to diet coke and had to keep nipping off to the toilet to compose myself and try to stop being sick - WORST HANGOVER EVER - typical, so classy! After a few hours of being a totally rubbish date, i asked if he would drop me back home (he had driven so was also on the diet cokes - lively date haha).

He thought he had completely blown it as he hadn't realised quite how rough i was really feeling and thought i just wasn't interested. For some reason, he thought he'd try his luck and ask for a second date, expecting a 'no' but of course i said yes. Despite feeling awful we had had a nice time and chatted with ease about all sorts! 

We went out again a few days later (without a hangover this time)... and the rest is history!  

We bought our house and moved in together after 2 years together, then J proposed at the end of last summer :blush:
    edited 31 January
    The Proposal

Prepare for the least romantic but most 'us' proposal of all time... 

We go away for the week every year over the August bank holiday with J's parents and sister and her boyfriend. Last year we went to Swanage (a special place to their family as J's Grandad loved to go there before he passed away). 

We went down on the Friday night late after work, and met everyone else down there; J's sister and oh went home on the Sunday. We all had such a nice time as the weather was unusually good this year! 

J had been acting really moody and strange all weekend but i didn't twig, i guessed it was just too long spent with every body else so close :smiley:

On the Monday evening he decided we would go for a walk along the beach and after standing on the end of the jetty talking rubbish for a while he just blurted it out! He was so nervous (hence the moods) all weekend and was overthinking everything that he just decided enough was enough and came out with it! Of course, I said yes right away! 

Turns out i was the only one who knew nothing about it! Although nobody knew when it was actually happening, he had met with my Dad almost a month before who had shared with my mum; and his family knew too! And he had snuck a couple of bottles of the 'good champagne' we were saving for a special occasion! I was so surprised though so i didn't mind. We had talked about it for a while but are still fairly young so there was no rush - i knew he would eventually do it but thought it would be another year or so before he actually did! 
    edited 31 January
    The Ring

So although I dropped (many) hints, I had always told J to not feel any pressure to propose with a ring if he wasn't sure of the choice!

I don't like my fingers so feel if I am going to wear something every day forever then it needs to suit me!

Once engaged we then had the fun task of finding THE ring! 

J was sure he would like to have one made as he loved the idea of it being one of a kind. We had a look online together at LOADS of different rings, this is when I became so glad that he hadn't picked one as we clearly had different tastes 😂

So 2 days later after we arrived back from our break, we met with a jeweller in Tunbridge Wells and shared a couple of ideas with him and had my fingers measured. He then got several diamonds a few days later for us to pick from and set to making the ring! 

It was ready after what felt like forever and we both absolutely loved it! 

He didn't tell me he was collecting it so arrived home, rang the door bell and was down on one knee when I opened the door! 

Although an untraditional route, it was fun for both of us to be involved and completely took the pressure off of J. 

Here's some pics of the ring and during the process, we still love it! 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,770 New bride
    edited 31 January
    That's gorgeous!
    It wasn't Peter Jenner was it? 
  • Thats so gorgeous!! What a lovely story <3 
  • How lovely! Your ring is beautiful 
  • MrsCToBee said:
    That's gorgeous!
    It wasn't Peter Jenner was it? 
    Thank you! Nope, we used N Groves Ltd, we hadn't heard of them before but were recommended to us! 
  • Thats so gorgeous!! What a lovely story <3 
    Thank you! I've had a read through yours, can't wait to see how it all goes! 
  • How lovely! Your ring is beautiful 
    Thank you! 
  • What a stunning ring! Congratulations 
  • Venues

When we were first engaged, we were pretty much convinced that we would elope somewhere pretty and then come back and throw a big party for everyone to celebrate together. Not necessarily for cost but as our numbers are so high, this did cross our mind! When we looked into it, the logistics just didn't work for us. We weren't sure how our parents would feel etc. and as our families are so large, if we started invited people we wouldn't know where to stop!

Soooo, we started searching for venues! Here's a few we considered... (Although we only ended up seeing our first venue and booking straight away 😂) 

We didn't have many stipulations, we ideally wanted something all in one place so that our guests didn't have to move for the reception and also something that was fairly close to home so that our guests wouldn't have to travel too far and also had the option of travelling back home afterwards. We're wise to how much attending a wedding can cost and wouldn't want to stop someone celebrating with us because of this.

The Gardens, Yalding

We had seen pictures of a friend of a friend's wedding here last summer and it looked lovely. We really liked the idea of the tipis and a more relaxed feel HOWEVER we felt it was very weather permitting and if we were to get an awful day would it be worth the money?! We booked in a viewing but as mentioned we didn't end up going...

Old Kent Barn

We absolutely loved the look of this one and all the beams inside, it just looks so ''pinterest" HOWEVER a few other people we knew of had already booked to get married there so we didn't want anything too common. Although we could've got a sooner date and this almost swayed us but we decided to wait it out and have the venue we loved the most. Again, we booked in a viewing that we later cancelled.

Westerham Golf Club

This was probably our second choice venue, the options were pretty good as well as the price and we really liked the look of it. The thing we didn't like was that it wouldn't be exclusively ours but we could've gotten over that! As above, we didn't end up going to our viewing.

• Cooling Castle Barn

I had been to an evening reception a few years ago here and have loved it ever since but J had only seen the pictures online. I had always dreamed of getting married there myself but never thought I actually would!

This was our favourite throughout so our first viewing. As we pulled in, J was impressed already and he could tell I was too so told me to put on my best poker face during our tour! 

A wedding was being set up as we walked around so we could see what it would really look like which we liked. Luckily, we also got a sunny day (although cold) so we could see the venue in all its glory! 

When we finished the tour and got back into the car, we were both in agreement that this was the one. J told me to cancel the other bookings which I couldn't have been more pleased about! He had told me previously that we could have whichever one I wanted but it was even better that we were both in agreement!

We were hoping to book for summer 2020, but knew this was hopeful... Because of our high numbers we needed a weekend date so were only able to get Jan, Feb or March 2020 but considering the weather we had last year, we didn't want to chance it so decided we would have to wait until 2021 :neutral: 

Although it feels so far away, we're hoping it will come round quick and we're glad we've got a good date for us! We booked a Sunday but on bank holiday weekend, so in our eyes were paying Sunday prices for a Saturday! 

Now we just have to hope for a sunny May weekend!! 

Things we loved most...
    - everything all in one place, if raining then you can move between the different barns internally 
    - the dressing room is to die for 
    - lots of menu choices for the sit down meal and the evening
    - 80 day guests and 150 evening as standard, with the option to add more on
    - 15 hotel rooms on site so that we can have our nearest and dearest stay and also we can all have breakfast together the next day! 
    - we thought the pricing was really reasonable for everything included, especially in comparison with some other venues we looked into

Here's a few pics...
    Some we took when we had the viewing and the others I found online 

edited 3 February
    We booked in April 2017 for this August and it has come round SO quick! We are also getting married the Sunday of a bank holiday weekend.
    There is another bride with a planning thread on here getting married at The Gardens, which was out of our price range but would have been on our shortlist had we had a bigger budget, along with Mountains which I absolutely adored.
  • MrsCToBee said:
    We booked in April 2017 for this August and it has come round SO quick! We are also getting married the Sunday of a bank holiday weekend.
    There is another bride with a planning thread on here getting married at The Gardens, which was out of our price range but would have been on our shortlist had we had a bigger budget, along with Mountains which I absolutely adored.
    Ah that's good to know! It's 4 months already since we booked so I'm hoping the rest goes as quick! 
    I'll have to have look for that, it's handy to have the local ones to read! I hadn't heard of Mountains but just looked it up and wow! There's so many to choose from, we're lucky but it makes it so much harder to pick! 
  • That venue is gorgeous!!! I can see why you didn't even bother looking around anywhere else! 
    We booked ours in June 2018 for April 2020, you'd be surprised how quickly the months go and i've found it so nice just knowing theres no panic with any of it. 
  • MrsA-NToBeMrsA-NToBe Posts: 195 New bride
    We're getting married at The Gardens and whilst I can completely see the weather element side, they've got a gorgeous loft room upstairs where you can also get married, it's very intimate and seemed perfect for our October wedding so that we didn't have to worry about weather!
    Having said that Cooling is a stunning pick! My MOH got married there in July a few years ago and it's honestly gorgeous. When all the flowers bloomed in the garden area, it was lovely and perfect for photos! And there is so much that you can do with the barn/wedding breakfast area to make it unique!
  • That venue is gorgeous!!! I can see why you didn't even bother looking around anywhere else! 
    We booked ours in June 2018 for April 2020, you'd be surprised how quickly the months go and i've found it so nice just knowing theres no panic with any of it. 
    We think so too but are totally biased as we love it! It's so nice to know that others booked in advance too as we got many comments of why don't we just choose another venue! 
    Yeah, I feel the same about that, it's nice to not have to rush and be able to look into everything properly before having to make any decisions! 
  • We're getting married at The Gardens and whilst I can completely see the weather element side, they've got a gorgeous loft room upstairs where you can also get married, it's very intimate and seemed perfect for our October wedding so that we didn't have to worry about weather!
    Having said that Cooling is a stunning pick! My MOH got married there in July a few years ago and it's honestly gorgeous. When all the flowers bloomed in the garden area, it was lovely and perfect for photos! And there is so much that you can do with the barn/wedding breakfast area to make it unique!
    I've just read through your thread and have saved so many links and ideas! The loft room looks lovely, just seen your pics! We were going to be considering booking similar to what we have now but May 2020 and it was around another £3 - 4,000 so just wasn't worth the risk for us! We've been cursing our large families since getting engaged haha. Oh wow, that's so nice to hear - we definitely need the sun to shine! 
    p.s. cogratulations! what a year for you :smile:
  • MrsA-NToBeMrsA-NToBe Posts: 195 New bride
    We're getting married at The Gardens and whilst I can completely see the weather element side, they've got a gorgeous loft room upstairs where you can also get married, it's very intimate and seemed perfect for our October wedding so that we didn't have to worry about weather!
    I've just read through your thread and have saved so many links and ideas! The loft room looks lovely, just seen your pics! We were going to be considering booking similar to what we have now but May 2020 and it was around another £3 - 4,000 so just wasn't worth the risk for us! We've been cursing our large families since getting engaged haha. Oh wow, that's so nice to hear - we definitely need the sun to shine! 
    p.s. cogratulations! what a year for you :smile:
    Ah thank you! Glad I could have helped :) and agreed, they are pretty similar and there are so many things you can do and create. Definitely... that's why we are getting married on a Monday, it was so so much cheaper!
    I'll cross my fingers for sunshine for you!
    Thank you very much... it's going to be rather busy!! :)
    Few Updates - been a while...

Photographer
    We booked our photographer back in March (ish) to secure our date. He comes recommended with the venue and his other work looks really good and the photos look very natural which is what we wanted so decided to go with him. We will schedule in to meet up with him a little while before the wedding. 

Shoes
    I ordered my shoes too  :D
    J is almost a foot taller than me so I needed something high but comfy! I ordered these from Aldo which are 4.5" so should do the trick - they have since gone on sale though  :s

They aren't particularly "bridal" or blingy, just nude patent but they're going to be hidden anyway so if I can stay in them for most of the day I'll be happy! 

A few people have said I will probably change my mind on things as we get closer but I am someone who will stick with something once it's in my head so I feel ok about buying things in advance - another thing ticked off the list! 

Dress Shopping
    Did my first bit of dress shopping last month too. We went to Confetti and Lace in Lakeside and reaaaally enjoyed the experience - would definitely recommend. I found a Dando London dress that I loved  <3 but it hasn't been released in all stores yet, just theirs, so holding on as I have heard from others that Confetti and Lace are usually more expensive than anywhere else. Going to try and do a different shop every few months until I find one; wasn't nearly as daunting as I thought it was going to be! 

I have also got a couple of quotes for florists, hair/make up and videographers and some aren't coming out too badly, we will probably get those booked end of this year / beginning of next year. 

Picked up a few bits in home bargains and pound land when I've seen them too, bits for gift boxes on the morning getting ready etc. and little decor bits we may want to use. 
  • Cupcakes2019Cupcakes2019 Posts: 80 New bride
    Your venue looks AMAZING!! I went to a Confetti & Lace sample sale with a friend last year and they had some really lovely dresses.
    I might be completely wrong, but I was under the impression that the lady who owns Dando London also owns the Confetti & Lace stores, so while it's sold elsewhere I'm not sure if you'll get a better deal. I might be completely wrong, I just gleaned that from the TV!
    MrsCToBee said:
    I might be completely wrong, but I was under the impression that the lady who owns Dando London also owns the Confetti & Lace stores, so while it's sold elsewhere I'm not sure if you'll get a better deal. I might be completely wrong, I just gleaned that from the TV!
    Oooo that's really interesting to know - I just googled it and that is true, thanks for that! Maybe just the case for their other designers 🤷 
    Your venue looks AMAZING!! I went to a Confetti & Lace sample sale with a friend last year and they had some really lovely dresses.
    I will have to have a look out for that, they had so many to choose from 😍
  • MrsH2020MrsH2020 Posts: 62 New bride
    Wow what a stunning venue! Looking forward to following your plans :)
  • Nice to see a fellow 2021 bride!! We're getting married in March 2021 and it feels so long to wait haha. We've done everything we can do now in terms of planning so just a waiting game until New Year ish when we can get back to it!

You venue looks stunning! Looking forward to hearing more of your plans :)