Town Centre Barn Wedding - Kent, August 2019

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,547 New bride
    edited 4 February
    RoseyGold said:
    My Mum has got no where with her outfit!! I keep saying she should look at jd Williams. Is there a lot of choice?

Yes, if you search Nightingales & Joanna Hope they are some of their mother of the bride/groom ranges and they had some lovely stuff. Not a huge choice of colours though, mainly blush, navy, green or grey. They do have a whole occasion section for mums: https://www.jdwilliams.co.uk/shop/jdw-mother-of-the-bride/1/_/N-125pZ1ytvfx8/products/show.action?cm_sp=JDW-Womens-_-Occasionwear-_-MotherOfTheBride#

My mum has done her usual, has so far bought 2 dodgy dresses off Wish that didn't fit, and about 5 different dresses from charity shops, none of which she is convinced about, all because she won't buy an 'expensive' outfit. As I pointed out, she's probably spent over £100 so far on tat that won't get used, and she could have bought one nice 'expensive' outfit with that money. So exasperating! She had decided on a fairly nice royal blue dress but has now apparently changed her mind. She doesn't like anything I show her. She has put on a lot of weight in the last decade and can't seem to get her head round the fact that things that suited her at size 6 don't suit her at size 18, hence she always buys completely the wrong cut for her body shape then moans that nothing looks nice on her.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant, oops!
  • RoseyGoldRoseyGold Posts: 159 New bride
    😁 no worries it seems it's what we do when it comes to weddings. 
    Mine lives on the isle of wight and there isn't choice there. She's coming up next month so hopefully we can go shopping for her. She's also been made paranoid that if she buys high street someone will turn up in the same. So we may also try some boutiques. 
  • WirfleWirfle Posts: 25 New bride
    MrsCToBee said:
    Thanks.....I'm aware these are very much first world problems but we spent the day with the inlaws, and MIL likes to drip feed the info so I get to feel furious at least once an hour 😂
    This has really made me laugh 😂
    Just binge read my way through this thread. I love love your wedding ring. Your dress is so flattering. Veil is gorgeous. Love the colour themes too. Ignore the people making you rage about your choices. They can get what they're given. I'll be following this with interest. 
    RoseyGold said:
    😁 no worries it seems it's what we do when it comes to weddings. 
    Mine lives on the isle of wight and there isn't choice there. She's coming up next month so hopefully we can go shopping for her. She's also been made paranoid that if she buys high street someone will turn up in the same. So we may also try some boutiques. 

Phase Eight is always worth a look, also Coast - just take her to Debenhams basically! They also do a free personal shopping experience which MIL is considering doing. I think if you go for something very MOB looking it's unlikely anyone else will be in the same - good luck :)
    Just binge read my way through this thread. I love love your wedding ring. Your dress is so flattering. Veil is gorgeous. Love the colour themes too. Ignore the people making you rage about your choices. They can get what they're given. I'll be following this with interest. 

Thanks very much! I'm just a bit of a ragey person I think, love a good rant! :)

Do you have a planning thread? Start one, they are so much fun!

• CharleahCharleah Posts: 250 New bride
    Love the shoes - my mum has had her dress made with a matching wrap to go with and has ended up spending less than some of the outfits she was looking at buying! 
    MrsCToBee said:

Thanks very much! I'm just a bit of a ragey person I think, love a good rant! :)

Do you have a planning thread? Start one, they are so much fun!

I've just started one. We're going to Antigua...
    edited 5 February
    So my last chance, allegedly EEE extra wide fitting shoes turned up from Rainbow Club, and as per a few reviews, they aren't wide fitting at all 😭 Which is a shame because other than where they cut into the side of my foot, they are like walking on air! I'll be getting married in my Birkenstocks at this rate ☹ I don't hold out much hope for the ASOS shoes after this. I'm so done with having to wear ugly shoes all the bloody time.

Finished my postbox today - just the cheapo Home Bargains one decorated by moi. Not perfect but good enough.

Have also started making confetti cones out of the leftover gold paper - do these look big enough??

• MrsCarnegieMrsCarnegie Posts: 463 New bride
    Your postbox looks amazing 😍 I have no idea about confetti cones, though xx 
  • cs2thecoxcs2thecox Posts: 257 New bride
    Love the postbox!
    I get a free one from my florist, but having seen yours I think maybe I'd rather make my own so I can have it be sparkly!!

(Also no idea about confetti cones, sorry - I'm not allowed any :( )
    Yes it is a slightly extra postbox 😂 
    I mean, if you can't be extra at your wedding, then... 🤣🤣🤣
    edited 6 February
    Ok, so I've found some shoes that are wide enough, comfy, almost the right colour (rose gold, close enough!) and look lovely from the front.....but the heel is just weird! What do you think, yay or nay??

But then....

Are they too weird?
  • In all honesty I'm not a massive fan of the heel but will you even see it under your dress? 
    I'm so uninspired with wedding shoes, I feel like people won't see them anyway and I'd wear flats if I could, it's only because I'm tiny and one of my bridesmaids is tall that she's banned me! 
  • MrsA-NToBeMrsA-NToBe Posts: 192 New bride
    They certainly aren’t your normal heel! But I love the glitz and if you like them and they’re comfy... why not!! 
    I don't really like the heel either....but I'm struggling with shoes so much and thinking no one will see the heel anyway. Might order a few more pairs but keep these as a fallback.
    Pleasingly bonkers - I approve!
    (But I'm getting married in shiny blue Converse, so...)
    In all honesty I'm not a massive fan of the heel but will you even see it under your dress? 
    I'm so uninspired with wedding shoes, I feel like people won't see them anyway and I'd wear flats if I could, it's only because I'm tiny and one of my bridesmaids is tall that she's banned me! 
    Yep, I'm 5ft 2". Fiance is 6ft and my 2 BMs are 5ft 10" and 6ft! And I can't walk or function in heels over 2" 😂
  • MrsCarnegieMrsCarnegie Posts: 463 New bride
    Can you have the heels changed at all? Or would that be a massive expense? 

They are very pretty shoes, btw xx 
  • MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,331 New bride
    Have you tried Rachel Simpson? Mine were from there (Ada) and I have EEE wide feet. I needed to size down with them and I kept the kitten heel shoes on all day!
    Can you have the heels changed at all? Or would that be a massive expense? 

They are very pretty shoes, btw xx 

I think that would cost too much, but now I know that ASOS wide fit are pretty good, I can keep an eye out for a nicer pair, and keep these in reserve!
    Have you tried Rachel Simpson? Mine were from there (Ada) and I have EEE wide feet. I needed to size down with them and I kept the kitten heel shoes on all day!

I'll have a look, thanks! The difficulty is that as well as the fitting, I need a low heel and preferably a slingback as one of my feet is about half a size bigger than the other, and with court shoes generally if one fits, the other one rubs or is too big!
  • MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,331 New bride
    MrsCToBee said:

I'll have a look, thanks! The difficulty is that as well as the fitting, I need a low heel and preferably a slingback as one of my feet is about half a size bigger than the other, and with court shoes generally if one fits, the other one rubs or is too big!
    You have the same issue as me but honestly I’ve had no problems wearing them 
    MrsCToBee said:

You have the same issue as me but honestly I’ve had no problems wearing them 
    Ah the Ada is out of stock in my size. They have some beautiful shoes but they are also way out of my budget sadly! They have the most beautiful pair that are over £1000 😮
    I have ordered 3 more pairs, 1 from ASOS and 2 from Pink Paradox. Once they come I'll make a decision and cart all the losing shoes back to the post office - this is the last attempt, I am sick to the back teeth of looking at shoes 😂

• CharleahCharleah Posts: 250 New bride
    I feel your pain about shoes..I also have wide feet and needed to get like 2 sizes up what I’d normally get and pay a customs charge twice to get the right size in the end 🤦🏻‍♀️ Haha fingers crossed you the find the ones out of this bunch 
  • I know you said that was your last attempt (and they’re lovely) but just in case! 

Simply Be have wide and extra wide fitting shoes, for example these https://www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/kitten-heel-slingback-court-shoes-extra-wide-eee-fit/iu215/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=9063#colour:Blue/Gold,size:
    I know you said that was your last attempt (and they’re lovely) but just in case! 

Simply Be have wide and extra wide fitting shoes, for example these https://www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/kitten-heel-slingback-court-shoes-extra-wide-eee-fit/iu215/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=9063#colour:Blue/Gold,size:

That's hilarious, I've already ordered those shoes too!! Just not sure if they are bridal enough, but I really like them so thought they would do for the hen do if not the wedding as long as they are comfy! Most of the bridal shoes on Simply Be are either too high or too fussy for me, sadly.