My Planning Thread - Sheffield, Summer 2019

• Hen Do

Finally managed to get my bridesmaids together last weekend ( I only have 2 and it's been a nightmare so don't know how some of you cope!) for a hen planning brunch. 

We've got a rough plan and I'm so excited now. We're going to hire a big house, ideally near to a town/city but we'll see what we can find. Friday night will be chilling, hen do games and a takeaway. Saturday will be a spa day with lunch/afternoon tea and then afterwards out to a few bars for drinks. Sunday is then a big brunch before people leave. 

So now I need to find a weekend that everyone can do, I also need to ask my mum if she's coming as I'd like her to but not sure if she will want to or not. 

• CharleahCharleah Posts: 248 New bride
    Look forward to reading more :) 
  • RB2SRB2S Posts: 45 New bride
    That’s so exciting! Your hen do plan sounds pretty similar to mine, we’ve hired out a house about 20 minutes from York for a weekend!
  • Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride
    Just binged your planning thread. Love it all so far! Your hen do plans sound lovely too. For the cheese cake I'd say serve it in the evening, even if I'd eat a bit after dinner I'd definitely enjoy it more and be peckish come the evening
  • MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride
    Your hen plans sound lovely, I agree with serving the cheese in the evening, everyone will want a nibble to soak up the drink.
  • RB2S said:
    That’s so exciting! Your hen do plan sounds pretty similar to mine, we’ve hired out a house about 20 minutes from York for a weekend!
    Ooh don't suppose you have any details for the house you're hiring do you? 
  • MrsS85 said:
    Your hen plans sound lovely, I agree with serving the cheese in the evening, everyone will want a nibble to soak up the drink.
    Yes I think you're right actually, some cheese and crackers in the evening after a bit to drink would go down lovely! 
  • H2B and I had a nice day out in manchester last week for the Christmas markets, it was lovely as we've had some really busy weekends recently and he's working this weekend as well as Christmas day and boxing day so it was really nice to just spend some time the two of us. 
    Anyway, while we were there I bought these earrings as I thought they were really pretty. I put them in when we got home and I thought they'd look nice as wedding earrings so I'm considering saving them now, I definitely didn't buy them with that in mind and they weren't expensive or anything but they're just a bit different to what I normally wear.
  • RB2SRB2S Posts: 45 New bride
    RB2S said:
    We’re hiring it through a company called Big Weekend York, if you google it then it should come up. They have a few different options of houses depending how many people you’d have going :)
  • Totally binged on your entire thread this afternoon! Absolutely loving your plans  :D :)
  • RB2S said:
    RB2S said:
    We’re hiring it through a company called Big Weekend York, if you google it then it should come up. They have a few different options of houses depending how many people you’d have going :)
    Fab thank you, will have a look! :) 
  • Totally binged on your entire thread this afternoon! Absolutely loving your plans  :D :)
    Thank you! Always nice to know I'm not just talking to myself hahaha! Do you have a thread? 
  • I sometimes think I might be talking to myself too! I do have a planning thread, but mine is not a typical wedding. If you feel like a read, here it is https://forum.youandyourwedding.co.uk/your-planning-threads/488201-our-wedding-take-2.html#latest

• Ahhhh so excited!! My wedding dress arrived in december so been and tried it on yesterday. I wasn't 100% sure how it would look as the sample I tried on had nude under the lace in the bodice so it had that semi naked look and the skirt was champagne, however I ordered it with ivory bodice and skirt so it was a bit of a risk but honestly I loved it so much, I couldn't stop grinning in it! It was the perfect fit as well, doesn't even need any alterations except that I am having the neckline changed slightly. 
    I tried some veils on with it too, I thought I would want a really beautiful lace veil but actually I think I will go for a very plain silk veil as it sort of disappeared into my dress and just looked gorgeous. 
  • Hen Do
    After much organising of dates people could do, I have finally booked a house for my hen do. It's a big open plan house, near York and it sounds perfect. One of my bridesmaids went to school in York and her boyfriend is from there and also two of my other very close friends live there so it will be really handy in terms of knowing places to go etc. 

I had been so excited to get the hen booked but unfortunately have had a bit of a downer from future MIL. I didn't invite her as she is an alcoholic (regularly weeing herself or falling over and breaking bones etc. or being generally vile to people) and I wanted to be able to relax without constantly worrying about how much she was going to drink/what she was going to do. However I did invite future BIL's girlfriend, who has told MIL that I've organised my hen and not invited her. Why BIL's girlfriend thought it was her place to get involved I don't know. So now MIL has been calling H2B and having a go at him and being really horrible, which tbh is a regular occurrence but now future FIL (who I really like and get along with) has also said he's annoyed at me which has upset me. H2B originally said I shouldn't invite her but now it's all kicked off I can tell he's a bit annoyed as well so I just feel quite down about the whole thing. 

Anyway sorry for that rant, just wanted to get it off my chest! 
  • MrsCarnegieMrsCarnegie Posts: 504 New bride
    Sending you hugs @FutureMrsTomlin x It's horrible when all you were doing is try to keep the peace xx 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,934 New bride
    I think it's totally reasonable not to have invited her if she can't be trusted to behave - perhaps she needs a few home truths from your FH.
  • How exciting that your dress is in! It’s so good that you don’t need to have any alterations.
    What a shame about your MIL. I’m sure I would have done the same thing if I were in your shoes. I’m sorry you’re in that situation.
    Sorry about your situation- hope it gets sorted soon! How exciting that your dress is in. I get to try mine on for a fitting on Saturday 😁 x
  • Charleah said:
    Sorry about your situation- hope it gets sorted soon! How exciting that your dress is in. I get to try mine on for a fitting on Saturday 😁 x
    Thanks, just been ignoring the situation and hoping she gets over it. Oooh exciting!! I loved hertget to try mine on again! 
  • FutureMrsTomlinFutureMrsTomlin Posts: 467 New bride
    edited 6 February
    Had my first wedding nightmare last night.
    Dreamt that I was going to slimming world (I don't do SW) but got there and realised I didn't have £2 for entry (???) so went back home instead (turned out to be my mum's house), when I got home me and mum realised that it was actually the day before my wedding and we had forgotten (!), I hadn't done anymore planning so didn't have a hairdresser or wedding rings, amongst other things (although what was stressing me out most was that we hadn't bought enough napkins - H2B tried to persuade me we could go out on the wedding morning and buy napkins 🤦). On the morning of I had to ring the makeup artist as she was late but she came, we got ready and then got married, then straight after the vows me and one BM rushed home, took our makeup off and got into our PJs. I looked out the window and realised people were having their picture taken as it was still my wedding day and I should be dressed still, then realised I hadn't had any pictures as I'd run down the aisle. 
    I woke up so stressed thinking that I needed to buy more napkins asap and I must remember not to take my makeup off on my wedding day 😂
  • That’s so funny I love dream logic, obviously the napkins were the main issue!

Im sorry about your MIL stress, hope things have calmed down now. 
    I keep having these dreams 😅
  • That’s so funny I love dream logic, obviously the napkins were the main issue!

Im sorry about your MIL stress, hope things have calmed down now. 
    Hahaha I know, who needs wedding rings, all about the napkins! 

Yeah it's actually all okay now thanks, I think she understands why I didn't invite her and although she's upset she does get it at least. 
  • So we've booked our honeymoon!!! 

I wasn't feeling well last weekend so decided to book an appointment at Kuoni to cheer me up and have something nice to look forward to. We'd decided we probably wanted Mauritus, mainly due to the time of year and the fact that it seems to be rainy season everywhere else in the world and also because we didn't want a massive time difference as H2B can only take 9 days off work. We hadn't really started looking much so I booked the appointment just as a starting point really, not actually planning on booking anything today

Honestly can not recommend Kuoni enough, the consultant was so helpful, she rung me in the week to ask about all our requirements and was so lovely. As soon as we walked in we were given champagne (which was topped up regularly - that definitely added to the fun of honeymoon planning) and she showed us the options she'd already come up with to gage what we liked and didn't like. We ended up falling in love with this beautiful adults only boutique hotel. It's got 4 a la carte restaurants, which I'm really glad about as my one worry was poor food or having to eat the same thing all the time. There's also 3 bars, two pools (including an infinity pool which I'm excited about!) and a spa. They also only have 67 rooms so will hopefully feel nice and quiet.

They'd already sold out of all the room types except one so I didn't want to wait any longer and risk losing it. I'm so excited now we've booked it, absolutely can't wait! 

Been an expensive week as we've already had a new boiler and bought a log burner this week so naturally after booking the honeymoon we went straight to IKEA afterwards and spent £300 on stuff we don't even need! We did get 5% off Kuoni thanks to H2B working for the NHS so that's saved us a few hundred. 
  • MrsCarnegieMrsCarnegie Posts: 504 New bride
    edited 9 February
    It looks absolutely gorgeous ❤ You've had quite a busy week. Hope you're feeling better xxx 
  • abiscottabiscott Posts: 70 New bride
    Just caught up on your thread, your honeymoon looks amazing!

I'm a quasi-Kelham bride, I live here (and might see you arriving at the museum from our balcony!) but we're having ours abroad.  Not sure if we're doing a home party but have been reading your venue search with interest!

I think you made the right decision regarding your MIL and hen party, you want to enjoy it and feel special, not be worrying about others' behaviour x
  • abiscott said:
    Just caught up on your thread, your honeymoon looks amazing!

I'm a quasi-Kelham bride, I live here (and might see you arriving at the museum from our balcony!) but we're having ours abroad.  Not sure if we're doing a home party but have been reading your venue search with interest!

I think you made the right decision regarding your MIL and hen party, you want to enjoy it and feel special, not be worrying about others' behaviour x
    Thanks for reading! 

Ooh where abouts do you live? Mine and H2B's first home together was at kelham, opposite the Tesco express so it feels a bit special getting married at KIM. 

Whereabouts are you getting married? You might find desert bride's posts interesting as they got married abroad and had a party at yellow arch. 

Thank you, feels so much better to know other people think it's the right decision and it's not just me being unreasonable! 
  • abiscottabiscott Posts: 70 New bride
    Hi,
    I'm in Brooklyn Works, just overlooking the river/back of the museum. 
    Your guests are going to love the quirkiness of the museum, and its so nice to have a venue you feel connected to.
    We're marrying in Zante, in our favourite restaurant there, but I'll definitely check out desert bride's thread regarding the yellow arch, however head is currently ruling heart regarding spending on a home party at the moment!

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,934 New bride
    abiscott said:
    Hi,
    I'm in Brooklyn Works, just overlooking the river/back of the museum. 
    Your guests are going to love the quirkiness of the museum, and its so nice to have a venue you feel connected to.
    We're marrying in Zante, in our favourite restaurant there, but I'll definitely check out desert bride's thread regarding the yellow arch, however head is currently ruling heart regarding spending on a home party at the moment!

Wow, jealous, I wanted to get married in Zante - where are you having the wedding?