Wedding Dress on a Budget

Hi,

I’m getting married next year and my fiancé and I are paying for the wedding ourselves so my wedding dress budget isn’t as big as your average brides.

I’ve go into a few bridal shops and the dresses were beautiful but beyond my budget so I started looking online.

I’ve found a few lovely ones on 2nd hand websites and others on websites I’ve never heard of before but I’ve also heard the horror stories of things showing up looking nothing like they did online- can anyone recommend any credible websites (or even shops!) that would do dresses for under £1,000?

Thank you! 

• I would recommend contacting local boutiques and asking about sample sales or trunk shows! I got my dress for £700 instead of £2250! It was a sample but its in great condition and because im a sample sort of size it just needs a few alterations. 

Failing that, websites like stillwhite are great, and even ebay, you do have some protection, and if you can buy on a credit card too just for some extra security. If you are buying a second hand dress online, id really recommend trying the same dress on, either if the seller is close enough just ask to go around or try one on in a store if you can track it down. Also check what alterations they have had, how tall are they, waist, bust and hip size? you don't want to end up with a dress shortened and taken in that says 12 on the label but in reality its for a 4ft size 6 with 12 hips. 

Online sites that are very reputable are CoCoMelody and  BHLDN. There will be more but i cant think of them off the top of my head. 

Personally if you have the time i think sample sales are the way forward, because then at least you get to try it all on and then leave with it then and there, no worrying about what might turn up in the post or customs charges. 
  • GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,309 New bride
    I tried on my dress in store (a Pronovias design) and then found it BNWT on ebay in my size for over £1,000 less than it would have been to buy in store. I've heard good things about Stillwhite. There's a facebook page for wedding dress sales but I'd be cautious of sending cash without seeing the product. 
    Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • Sample sales are well worth looking into - follow a few shops near you on social media and you’ll get notifications of the sales. I tried quite a few on all around the £500 to £600 mark, all very nice and in good condition. 

In the end I got my dress new, it was a Sincerity Bridal by Justin Alexander one, it was £700 new and all the dresses in that line come in around there I think, so if under £1000 is your budget have a look at them and maybe see if you can find a local stockist. 

Also a bride on here got a lovely dress from ASOS recently, and their returns policy is good so you could order and feel secure. Similarly Debenhams, Monsoon, Phase Eight all have dresses under £1000 with good returns policy. 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,857 New bride
    edited 7 February

Lots of boutiques will have dresses well under £1000.

Sample sales are fab - my Maggie Sottero dress would have been £1850 new but got it for £500 in a sample sale.

Where are you? The shop I used was Go Bridal, they are fab ad have a large outlet section on their website with all the samples they have for sale from £195 http://tunbridgewellsbridaloutlet.com/full-shop-with-sidebar/

Almost all the dresses in Wed2B are under £1000 too and they get great reviews. https://www.wed2b.co.uk/

Otherwise, Alie Street, Monsoon, Kaleidoscope, Simply Be, Debenhams, John Lewis, Dorothy Perkins, Chi Chi, Quiz, ASOS all sell lower budget wedding dresses.

I personally didn't want to go down the China/JJ's House/Wish type route as for every success I've seen 3 horror stories. I'd also only buy second hand if it was a dress I'd already tried on and was 1000% sure I wanted.

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 760 New bride
    I got my dress at David's Bridal. There was plenty to try on there for under £1000. Some people have given David's bad reviews, but I didn't have any major issues. I ended up buying mine off the peg with a discount, so got to take the dress home on the day, although I had to arrange alterations myself.

Wed2Be is another budget warehouse style wedding dress shop. I've read a lot of people here getting lovely dresses for reasonable prices, although I haven't been myself!

Do bear in mind that you may also have to pay for alterations, which could be a couple of hundred pounds, and that sometimes it pays off to shop around for a cheaper service than any the shop offers.
  • Ruth126Ruth126 Posts: 34 New bride
    I don’t know where you are based but I got my dress at Elite Bridal in Huddersfield. They also have shops in Castleford and somewhere else in Yorkshire that I forget. 
    It’s a family who run them and you walk into a big warehouse (nicely decorated!) and can see all the styles on racks and pick several to try on with an assistant to help you. They do their own designs and get them made abroad but they watch latest trends etc. I got a lovely dress there for £595 and they have a great range from £300 up to over £1200.

I could have spent more but just didn’t want to for one day and I love my dress. The service was really good and you can take it home on the day - I bought it last June. I am going up for alterations in a few weeks and then a final fitting in March before my wedding in April. I live in London but grew up in Huddersfield and my mum saw the shop in the local paper. I only went there to humour her and because my sister was up visiting at the same time but it worked out pretty well. As soon as I walked in I was pretty confident I’d find something.

It’s a faff going up for alterations but they said I could get them done elsewhere if I wanted (I just trusted them more than trying somewhere new in London). 

The location might not work for you but there might be similar outlets elsewhere in the country or possibly worth giving them a call.

Good luck anyway. The other place I found that seemed possible was a place in London off Walworth Road in Elephant and Castle. It had far better reviews than David’s Bridal which would have been my third option. 

• Def do not go down the non-domestic/ China route; I'm a former bride with a horror story from one of those sites.
    I think the ladies have posted some great options above.  I wanted to add that when I shopped, one of shops that I went to actually had a whole area (practically an entire room) of samples.  The shop didn't have a "sample sale" per se, they just had a standing inventory of the dresses that were discontinued that were being sold at a substantial discount.  The dresses in that area were discounted and on offer as such until they sold - no waiting for a specific sale timeperiod. I'm sure there are other shops that do the same.
  • Katy81Katy81 Posts: 31 New bride
    Hi I have my wedding dress from my wedding in July for Sale for only £350 it cost £1800 when I bought new it's a pronovias mildred dress bought in size 14 but have had it taken in but could be let back out the length has not been adjusted and it the original length only worn for 5hrs in perfect condition pics attached it also comes with a belt sewn on and comes with hoop as well so bargain price but I need it gone as I do t have enough storage space in my house first two pics are of the dress on the model the others are of me wearing it on the day 
  • I don't know where you're based but I took a trip to 'The bridal factory outlet' in Northallerton. I went this weekend just gone with a budget of 1000-1200 and 10 weeks till the wedding so needing something off the peg. They had dresses starting from £299. I found my dress for £950 marked down from £1500! I would definetly recommend them if you're up north. 
  • Katy81 said:
    Hi I have my wedding dress from my wedding in July for Sale for only £350 it cost £1800 when I bought new it's a pronovias mildred dress bought in size 14 but have had it taken in but could be let back out the length has not been adjusted and it the original length only worn for 5hrs in perfect condition pics attached it also comes with a belt sewn on and comes with hoop as well so bargain price but I need it gone as I do t have enough storage space in my house first two pics are of the dress on the model the others are of me wearing it on the day 
    Katy you looked stunning on your wedding day! Unfortunately it's not the style I'm looking for but thank you for posting x
  • Thank you all for your advice and recommendations! The thought of finding one now doesn't seem so daunting now! x
  • OwlOwl Posts: 5 New bride
    Hi,

I don’t know if this interests you, or if it’s possible geographically, but I have been dressmaking for nearly 30 years and am thinking of doing it as a business. I found a lovely volunteer bride through this forum, as I wanted to see if I enjoyed doing it on a business basis, without the pressure of it being a paid job. We are half way through the dress at the moment, and I have really enjoyed the process of making for someone else. 

I’d like to build a portfolio, and so I need another volunteer customer. If after an initial chat you wanted to go ahead, it would involve a time commitment because of the fittings. I can provide the cheap fabrics for toiles, and the bride would pay for the fabrics etc for the actual dress. All labour would be free of charge. It would be a bespoke dress so this way probably suits brides who have an idea of what they want, and those who can’t find the right combination of style elements in one dress in a shop. My bride had some pictures of a dress she’d seen on a site, and wanted to change some elements of it to suit her. It’s a slim style, plain fabric, not silk, and not lace or embellished, as she wanted a specific cut which is the feature of the dress, so the fabrics, fastenings etc that she has chosen are going to cost around £120 max. 

I’m in Watford, have space to park, and also 10 minutes walk from a London Overground station.

Good luck in your dress search. With the good advice you’ve had on here you may well find something easily, but if not, and you’re not within distance of Watford, maybe consider a dressmaker near you?
  • SlySly Posts: 36 New bride
    Depends on your venue, style of wedding etc but ASOS and chi chi have some lovely dresses for under £100-200!!! 
  • Hello

take a look at 

www.bloomdresses.co.uk

or

www.facebook.com/bloomdresses1

we sell "off the peg" designer dresses at affordable prices 
    please get in touch if i can be of any help 

• eb12080eb12080 Posts: 8 New bride
    Check out Alie Street. They have some beautiful dresses all unde £550 ❤️