Caribbean honeymoon with child in tow?

We have been umming and aahing about honeymoons for over a year now! We have one son who will be almost 4 when we marry. Our mums have offered to look after him while we honeymoon, but we can't leave him for 1-2 weeks, so we hope to have a minimoon for 3 or 4 days (possibly to Israel) then a big 'familymoon' once school hols are over.

Originally the plan was to do a week at Disney in Florida then a week in Riviera Maya, Mexico - but we now think our son will be a bit small for Disney with all the walking involved, and truth be told, I'm not that interested in going there!

We've been around the houses with destinations, whether we just stay in Europe for ease of travel or go further afield, and we always come back to Mexico. I've never been, but my fiance has worked in the north of Mexico a lot and loves it there. Other possible Caribbean options are Jamaica or Aruba.

He'll be going to school the year after so it's probably the only opportunity we have to take him on a big blowout holiday as school hols holiday prices are prohibitive and we'll probably just stick to Europe after that.

I just want opinions on whether it's crazy to contemplate flying to Mexico with an only just 4 year old? He's flown before and coped well, but only to Italy and Turkey.  

• Long haul flights should cater well for him. There will be plenty of cartoons etc on the in flight entertainment. Take plenty of snacks for him and a few little toys. Depending on time of flight he may sleep for part of it.

• My first wedding, we honeymooned in Mexico and took our almost 3yr old with us. She was fab on the flight, slept on the way home as it was overnight. In resort she was spoiled rotten by the staff :)

• I went to Carlisle Bay in Antigua with our baby, it was so lovely, with all the facilities and a great kids club, we were able to relax too, the staff were so warm and friendly - they made us feel very happy! we booked with Turquoise Holidays, which was great as we also used their gift list for contributions. 
  • MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride
    My last wedding was in Mauritius with a then 18 month old.  Long haul is easier some ways.  The staff at the hotel spoilt him rotten bringing him a glass of milk at bedtime and taking him off to play football on the beach.

I've also done Florida with a 5 and 2 year old again fab but I love Disney and can't wait to take our 4 year old (hopefully in next few years!!)

I wouldn't hesitate, go for it it will be fab!! x
  • MrsMannionMrsMannion Posts: 1,030 New bride
    They have TV with kids programmes and games at the back of every seat and they feed you that much it will go quick, u know your child best but I agree with others there is lots to do on a plane for children to be occupied and the hotels have lots on for kids too 
  • MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,349 New bride
    I’d suggest doing your family moon in Dubai. The flights tend to be overnight so they can sleep but also there is soooo much to do with kids. We went with our son who was 10 months at the time and I really want to go back when he is a bit older. If you stay in one of the beach resorts then you get the sun and sea but then loads to do if the kid gets bored of the pool.