Opinions on low budget?

So we are in the early stages of planning for our wedding, we have written out a budget based on what we think we can afford. I just wanted to post it on here and see if you guys think it is realistic....

Venue: £3000 (Confirmed amount, booked already and paid half)

Registrar/License etc: £756 (Based on costs listed on council website, £686 for the registrar to come out to the venue!!!)

Food & Drinks: £1000 (This includes a bar hire, cake made by my auntie, welcome drinks, small amount of food provided by us, no caterer)

Clothing: £500 (My outfit, H2B's outfit and our two children's outfits. There will be no bridesmaids, and the two best men will just wear their own suits)

Stationary & decoration: £100 (we're doing it all ourselves, and i work in a craft store where i will buy everything for half the price)

Photographer: £150 (Quote from a local budget photographer)

Mini-moon: £500 (Short break somewhere in europe)

Ideal budget is £6000 and the above comes in at almost exactly that. Please be honest, am i being massively unrealistic or is it doable?

• MrsPope2018MrsPope2018 Posts: 962 New bride
    I think you can absolutely do it on that budget,  I know plenty of people that have! Just wondering are you having flowers? And are they included in stationary and decoration part? The cost of flowers were a surprise to me. 
    A friend of mine has recently got her wedding dress on a Facebook selling site for £50 and it is beautiful! You can for sure do things on a budget it just might take a bit more time and research. 
    Good luck with all the planning 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,771 New bride
    edited 25 March
    What strikes me is that £3000 is a hell of a lot to pay for a venue if it doesn't include any food or drinks - my venue is £5k inc canapes & welcome drinks, 3 course wedding breakfast inc. wine on table and toast drinks for 70, then a BBQ for 100 in the evening, and the DJ fee. I'm in an expensive area of the south east.What are your venue giving you for £3k??

The rest all looks doable, I just wouldn't be paying someone £3k just for use of a room or building as that's extortionate IMO.

Our budget is £8.5k-9k and we've found it pretty easy to stick to, in fact we will probably come in nearer £8.5k.
  • SpiderBrideSpiderBride Posts: 20 New bride
    Thanks for your replies!

We wont be having traditional flowers, I am a very crafty person and i will be crocheting flowers for me and my kids to carry, and for buttonholes for the blokes. I have a stash of wool to last the rest of my life already, so will be spending nothing on this!

Wow £5000 for all that sounds amazing! Our wedding is in a museum, the £3000 includes the venue, tables and chairs etc, plus members of staff on the day. Perhaps it is a lot of money, but to be honest it was the most important part of it for us, I'd get married in a paper bag and eat mcdonalds afterwards as long as it was still there! Its a very sentimental place for us and we've had many dates there.
  • CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,040 New bride
    I think it all looks doable and reasonable!
    At the end of the day if people are fed and watered theyre happy really, the extra stuff is just a bonus. 

While i agree with MrsCtoBee, we are paying £2250 for just the hire of the space (although i suppose it includes all the staff too) and our catering is an additional cost on top of that (were in Hertfordshire so very expensive!) I do think proportionally it seems like a lot top pay when if its hire only and its half your budget. Proportionally our venue cost works out at less than 20% of our total budget, which i think balances alrioght, but over half for no more than use of an area is extortionate. 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,771 New bride
    edited 25 March
    Thanks for your replies!

We wont be having traditional flowers, I am a very crafty person and i will be crocheting flowers for me and my kids to carry, and for buttonholes for the blokes. I have a stash of wool to last the rest of my life already, so will be spending nothing on this!

Wow £5000 for all that sounds amazing! Our wedding is in a museum, the £3000 includes the venue, tables and chairs etc, plus members of staff on the day. Perhaps it is a lot of money, but to be honest it was the most important part of it for us, I'd get married in a paper bag and eat mcdonalds afterwards as long as it was still there! Its a very sentimental place for us and we've had many dates there.
    It all depends on what your priorities are - as a wedding guest I always remember the food and drink so that's my top priority, if yours is having that specific venue then that's our choice, though what are the staff you are paying for actually doing if you have to provide a bar and catering yourself?

From a guest experience point of view, to be blunt they aren't going to care how sentimental the building is to you if they are hungry, thirsty or bored - don't mean to be rude by saying that, I just can't think of a more polite way to put it!
    The staff will be setting everything up for us, putting out our decorations, tables, chairs etc and also directing everyone to the right area of the museum for each part of the event. 

We will be feeding my wedding party and close family a meal before the ceremony, and  we will provide a buffet table with sandwiches, snacks etc for in between the ceremony and the reception. There will also be cake and dessert type things during this time. I'm just trying really hard to avoid having a proper caterer because they are so insanely expensive! I know it's not a particularly traditional way of doing it but that doesn't bother me to be honest. 

Is it the done thing to feed reception guests if they are not arriving until 19.30/20.00? I know I will need to make it clear on the invites that there will be no food, but I didn't think that was too bad, most people eat before 20.00 anyway don't they? Or do you disagree, should I be feeding them too?
  • MrsRendall2BMrsRendall2B Posts: 744 New bride
    I'd say it's kinda the done thing to have food for the evening reception too, even if it's just a few nibbles and party food bits and bobs. Whilst most will have eaten dinner at a reasonable time, it's generally just advisable to stop people getting too drunk and as a little subsistence for those who've been there for the rest of the day.

I'm with MrsC on this one though, food and drink are the two things I expect as a bare minimum when attending a wedding - be it all day or evening only (not expecting drinks to be paid for btw! Just for there to be some). Food and drink is a big part of hosting and entertaining guests in my opinion so we'll be having plenty of food but are lucky in that most of it came included in our wedding package.

If you decide not to, which you're well within your right to do, just make it clear to people coming for the evening that there's no extra food. That way they can make sure they'll have a proper meal before they come.
  • Sci-Fi NerdSci-Fi Nerd Posts: 52 New bride
    edited 26 March
    Good lord, I'm in London and we're paying £10,500 for venue hire, 2 course meal, canapes, fizz for arrival and toast, and half a bottle of wine with dinner. I'm now starting to think we've massively paid too much looking at your prices! Having said that I paid £100 for my wedding dress 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

But it's genuinely been one of the lowest prices we've seen - plus they've upended their menu choices to let us have a completely different menu at no charge. 

We're starting quite late (dinner at 7pm) but we're still doing evening food at around midnight (as the party is on until 2am) so I would echo what everyone has said and just give a heads up. I don't automatically expect food in the evening but it has become common place now. 
  • I don’t understand why you don’t do the meal after the ceremony, it would work so much better.  Is it because it would delay the arrival of the evening guests?
    I don’t understand why you don’t do the meal after the ceremony, it would work so much better.  Is it because it would delay the arrival of the evening guests?
    Yes, because it feels really late for people to be arriving at 9pm, given that we have to be out by midnight, and some guests might not even want to stay that late. Also feels a bit like we'll be waiting around all day with not much to do, and then have to fit everything in in a small amount of time in the evening. I'm not very girly, I won't be spending hours getting ready, I will need an hour at the absolute most. I don't want to be sat around all day waiting, then have to rush around and cram everything in a couple of hours in the evening. 
  • I agree, 9pm is probably too late.  
    I agree, 9pm is probably too late.  
    What would you suggest as a better alternative? Do you think its ok to have a big meal beforehand, and then provide a small table of sandwiches and snacks for after the ceremony?
  • MrsW2020MrsW2020 Posts: 164 New bride
    Have you looked at doing a party food order from a supermarket? I know M&S and Waitrose have big online selections but I think most the supermarkets do some sort of food to order now, it could be a reasonably priced way to provide a small buffet for your evening guests?
  • I agree, 9pm is probably too late.  
    What would you suggest as a better alternative? Do you think its ok to have a big meal beforehand, and then provide a small table of sandwiches and snacks for after the ceremony?
    It really depends on how many people are doing the big meal before.  

If it’s ALL the ceremony guests for dinner/lunch at 3pm, with the evening guests arriving after say, 8pm (having been told there is no meal) I think it’s fine.  

8pm is after dinner time so they should be able to eat properly before hand.  However I would definitely tell them in advance as the vast majority of evening receptions these days include a buffet or at least a bacon roll or similar and people will expect it if not told otherwise.  

What are your numbers for the different parts of the day?  Eg the meal at 3pm, the ceremony, the reception only?  

I used to be a wedding coordinator so I’ve seen dozens and dozens of functions.  We got a invite once for a friend’s reception for no food/no gifts in a pub, it was totally fine as we knew in advance and it didn’t start until 8-9pm IIRC.
  • merchantmerchant Posts: 2 New bride
    MrsW2020 said:
    Have you looked at doing a party food order from a supermarket? I know M&S and Waitrose have big online selections but I think most the supermarkets do some sort of food to order now, it could be a reasonably priced way to provide a small buffet for your evening guests?
    I actually think this is a really good idea! You can get some super tasty food at good prices (lots of deals around online) and once you have it all presented nicely it looks all expensive and fancy! My friend did this a couple years ago and when she told me the buffet was just supermarket food I was astonished! Looked and tasted amazing! 
    Getting Married Soon! 
  • 270319256270319256 Posts: 4 New bride
    we can offer the decoration lights for the centerpieces to add up beautiful lights to the wedding memory