Diet denial... hold me accountable!

• MrsPB2019MrsPB2019 Posts: 474 New bride
    Lost another pound on Wednesday. However today was my colleagues birthday and he bought in snacks so I’ve been eating all day long and went to the pub and had a pint at lunchtime. And then tomorrow I’ve got my hen do and on Sunday a baby shower so basically I’m thinking I might skip weigh in next week haha.
  • GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,264 New bride
    That’s great well done! Ah such an exciting weekend for you. Have a great hen. Do you know what you are doing? 
    Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
    Thank you. I had no idea what I was in for and it was great fun. I’m annoyingly awake already so going to enjoy a nice fry up before I go to the baby shower at lunchtime and eat more cake haha.
    Oh that sounds like a perfect Sunday! Very jealous

Lost 2.5lbs this week. Down to just over 11 stone 11.5, so about half a pound away from my next goal. 

I am on my London hen this weekend, followed by my birthday on Thursday and F's birthday next Saturday, so if I manage to lose in the next few weeks it will be a miracle. 

Well done ginandbling!

As mentioned I didn’t go to weigh in this week. Trying to be super on it this week to try and get a loss next week but I’ve had a week and it’s H2B night off before he works all weekend so we’re enjoying prosecco and chocolate.

Hope you have a good hen and birthday celebrations!
    Put 1.5lbs on which I don’t think is justified. Period is due tomorrow so hoping it’s just water retention due to that.
    Ah that's so annoying. 

I've weighed this morning and have stayed the same, which is more luck than actually me sticking to plan. 

My seamstress has told me not to lose any more so will be focusing on maintaing now! 

• 5thJune20205thJune2020 Posts: 10 New bride
    Reading all your posts has given me some serious motivation well done ladies. X 
  • Not only have I fallen off the wagon but I think its run me over a few times as well. I've completely stopped caring and making any effort, and I've started my secret eating again which just has to stop, its so toxic. 
    I just feel like for the last month or so I've either been in pain, unwell or injured and its just meant I eat because i feel sorry for myself and I don't go to the gym because everything already hurts. 

I need to just put my big girl pants on. 
    Oh CDA sorry to hear that. 

It's horrible when you get stuck in a cycle like that. Now the evenings are lighter can you try getting out for a walk or cycle or something to ease back in to it? 

I've pulled my back somehow and am also in a grump and eating my feelings! Until I started all this I never really appreciated how much my emotions affect my diet. 

Reading all your posts has given me some serious motivation well done ladies. X 
    Thank you @5thJune2020. Good luck on your journey! x

• Thank you @GinAndBling, i'm going to try back at the gym tonight but i have strained my wrist and i have some kind of virus so it wont be anything too energetic haha. 
    Its incredible to realise how much your emotions can effect your diet, i really love the psychology of it all. I have always been an emotional eater, and i'm a bit of a feeder too, if someones sad my go to response is buy them a cake to cheer them up! 

Although i have a way to go yet, i am much better than i was. i used to buy food and hide it in my desk or car and id sit an eat things i shouldn't really have and not tell anyone, its just self sabotage. 
    Very surprised to weigh in with a half pound loss this afternoon. Two weigh ins until my wedding now, eeeek!

CDA you have my sympathies. Had a bit of a ‘fuck it’ weekend. It’s only with my wedding so close I’ve pulled myself back on plan.
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 657 New bride
    I'm similar, CoffeeDogAddict. I've always used food for comfort and to relieve boredom. If there's food available, I will eat it and if I don't it plays on my mind. That's why health food adverts annoy me because they imply that people only overeat because they are hungry.
  • Well done MrsPtobe! 
    Omrum its so frustrating isnt it! I try to do thinks like have a glass of water or a black tea/coffee if im feeling like i just need to busy myself, but its just not as easy as the media makes out. Like drinking a shake or having a yogurt suddenly changes your mindset! 
    That sounds similar to me CDA. Well done on your progress so far, and hope the gym wasn't too vile if you went last night! 

The whole industry is ridiculous. We all know how to lose weight- eat less, move more- but as you say OmRum it's so much more than that. It's such a mental thing. 

Well done MrsP!  

I've stayed the same again this week. Which is what I'm aiming for I suppose. Feels odd though!

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 657 New bride
    Well done GinAndBling. How long till the wedding now?

I hope the gym was all right, CDA. I used to love going to the gym! I'm now a zumba-bunny instead.

I'm pleased to say I now weigh the lightest I have been since New Year! I think I've worked out the best way to set targets is to base them around my natural cycles rather than by week or month, which seems to work best for me as it's stopped me getting upset after I gain weight during AF or if I've got birthdays, etc.

Saying that, I fully expect to put on a lot this weekend as not only as it That Time, but I've also got three, potentially four, social and drinking occasions over the next four days. But trying to think it doesn't matter how much I weigh next week, because I know it will have gone down again by this time next cycle.
    Thanks @OmRum. 7 weeks! Terrifying but so exciting. 

Oh congratulations, that's great.

Ah well in 10 years time you won't look back and think about that one lb, you will remember the times you had with people. Life is more important the scales for sure! 

Only lost half a pound tonight. A bit disappointed as feel I deserve more. Telling myself on one hand my dress fits where I am now so I don’t want/need to lose much but on the other I know I’ll gain after the wedding and the lower I can get my weight now means the less I’ll have to lose after my wedding if that makes sense.

Definitely feeling the urge to binge right now. Only have one more weigh in until my wedding though so need to give this last week my best effort. Probably take myself to bed soon to make sure I don’t give in.
    Well done MrsP! As long as the dress fits that's the main thing. Best of luck for next week too. Can't wait to see pictures of you on the big day. 

• Well Done MrsP! It can be hard to field off disappointment but remember how far you've come, and after the wedding you'll still be able to focus on it, but without so much pressure! 

I started tracking calories again the last 2 days, definitely a shock to the system! I'm not being super strict about it, and i need to start weighing things more so i have more accurate information, but it explains why i've plateaued... 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,517 New bride
    I'm so far off the wagon it's trundled on without me and left me behind. I weigh the most I ever have with 4 months until my wedding and spent the last 10 days while C was working away binge eating - like Om-Rum I'm a real boredom and comfort eater, and I don't eat necessarily because I'm hungry. 

I always thought the wedding would be the motivation I need to lose weight but it just hasn't happened like that - if anything dealing with wedding planning on top of being a full time working mum has made me even worse.
    Like if it's there, I have to eat it - if there is cake or chocolate in my kitchen I literally can't stop thinking about it until I've eaten it. I don't know if I mentioned it before but I used to be slim with much better eating habits, but C is overweight, doesn't eat vegetables and subsists on junk food and it's worn off on me over the years (years of me cooking meals, him refusing to eat them then ordering a kebab - you start not bothering because it feels so futile cooking meals he won't eat, so you only cook meals he will eat, but they are all just crap food).

I also have a few health problems that really limit my ability to exercise, and it's so hard to find the time as I'm on the go from 6.30am-8pm every day at which point I just want to sleep, and C leaves early & gets home late so I can't go out to exercise classes in the morning or evening, as I have my little boy.

It's got so bad I'm undergoing testing for type 2 diabetes (which both my parents have) and I'm so pissed off with myself, but just can't seem to find it in me to change right now. I know I can do it as I had gestational diabetes during pregnancy and had to follow a heavily restrictive diet for months  - I weighed less the day after I had my son than I did before I got pregnant, and during maternity leave I was more active too, but now I'm back to being desk bound for 8 hours a day shoving cake down my throat at every opportunity  :'(

The only consolation is that I know myself, and wasn't silly enough to buy a dress too small for me as 'motivation' as my mum suggested - if anything my dress is a bit big, so at least I don't have that panic. Seen far too many ladies on Facebook wedding pages make that mistake!

Sorry for this 'woe is me' post but I feel better having written it all down.
    Thanks ladies. I think I’d like to lose 2lbs this week as that puts me exactly back at having lost 5 stone. I worry after the wedding without having a goal that the weight is going to creep back on but we’re TTC so I’m telling myself the healthier I stay the more it’ll help that hopefully. The hunger ness has continued today though managed to stick to plan so far.

MrsC are you able to leave the office at lunchtime? My office is in the middle of nowhere so I literally walk around the car park but it does my mental and physical health better to just get away and walk for half an hour a day.
    @MrsCToBee ; sorry to hear you are struggling :( it sounds like you are struggling with the mindset more than the know how.. ? I suppose the thing that has helped me is working out my motivation, why do I want to lose weight. I also quit smoking, my motivation really was that I want to be able to run without feeling like my lungs were going to jump out my mouth, and I wanted to keep my BMI in a healthy range. We put so much pressure on ourselves to be "perfect" for the wedding when in reality it's just one day, it's everything that follows that matters. You will look and feel amazing on the day because you are getting married to someone you love. If you want to lose weight do it for you, not the wedding. The expectation on women is already too high before we add that in too. 

In terms of a partner who isn't quite on the same page, I get that. My FH is trying to gain weight so we tend to have the same meals and I just don't have the carbs or I have a smaller portion. I eat breakfast and lunch at work so can control the portions for that too. Can you try these "fakeaway" recipes that SW post all over social media? 

I also second going for a walk at lunchtime. I'm desk based and I can very easily not move for 6 hours sometimes. I've been listening to podcasts (Bridechilla mostly) and doing a walk for half hour or so at lunchtime. Stops me going mad! 

Good luck on your journey. It's tough but worth it xx

@MrsPBtobe that's exciting-fingers crossed for you TTC. 

@CoffeeDogAddict It's such an eye opener when you start to record it all isn't it! Good luck

edited 11 April
    MrsPBtobe said:
    Thanks ladies. I think I’d like to lose 2lbs this week as that puts me exactly back at having lost 5 stone. I worry after the wedding without having a goal that the weight is going to creep back on but we’re TTC so I’m telling myself the healthier I stay the more it’ll help that hopefully. The hunger ness has continued today though managed to stick to plan so far.

MrsC are you able to leave the office at lunchtime? My office is in the middle of nowhere so I literally walk around the car park but it does my mental and physical health better to just get away and walk for half an hour a day.
    Good luck TTC! I totally swore by ovulation predictor sticks (OPKs) when I was TTC.

I do go for a walk most lunchtimes but we only get 30 minutes and have to eat in that time too - need to start munching at my desk so I can walk for the rest maybe!
    edited 11 April
    @MrsCToBee ; sorry to hear you are struggling :( it sounds like you are struggling with the mindset more than the know how.. ? I suppose the thing that has helped me is working out my motivation, why do I want to lose weight. I also quit smoking, my motivation really was that I want to be able to run without feeling like my lungs were going to jump out my mouth, and I wanted to keep my BMI in a healthy range. We put so much pressure on ourselves to be "perfect" for the wedding when in reality it's just one day, it's everything that follows that matters. You will look and feel amazing on the day because you are getting married to someone you love. If you want to lose weight do it for you, not the wedding. The expectation on women is already too high before we add that in too. 

In terms of a partner who isn't quite on the same page, I get that. My FH is trying to gain weight so we tend to have the same meals and I just don't have the carbs or I have a smaller portion. I eat breakfast and lunch at work so can control the portions for that too. Can you try these "fakeaway" recipes that SW post all over social media? 

I also second going for a walk at lunchtime. I'm desk based and I can very easily not move for 6 hours sometimes. I've been listening to podcasts (Bridechilla mostly) and doing a walk for half hour or so at lunchtime. Stops me going mad! 

Good luck on your journey. It's tough but worth it xx
    Thanks for replying! I want to lose weight more for health/my son's sake rather than the wedding, but it would be a bonus. I have given up smoking twice but always struggle much more with food, because you have to eat, you can't just give it up! I completely understand how to lose weight, just have an implementation issue!

I've tried fakeaway type recipes, I like them and have done SW a few times but when I say my partner won't eat any vegetables, I'm not joking - he eats potatoes and the odd carrot and that's it. No fruit either. I think I need to go back to cooking 2 separate meals like I used to, but that was much easier pre-kids as I had much more time  (I don't feed our son crap, he eats much better than we do!!)

I only get 30 minutes for lunch and have to eat in that time too - I try to go for a little walk but we are so restricted by time. I also have asthma and congenital knee, hip and foot issues. I used to run and loved it but had to stop on the advice of my physio - now I try to do more weight based HIIT type stuff but I really don't enjoy it. I also swam alot but don't have the childcare to be able to go now.

Going to have to suck it up and go back to HIIT and ditch 90% of the carbs and sweet stuff, and stop making excuses for myself, clearly! It's the only way - sorry for my self indulgent whingeing, I'm trying to give myself a mental kick up the arse.