Catholic Wedding - Donation to the Priest

Morning! 

I am getting married on 21st September 2019! Not long now :-) We are getting married in a catholic church and so far the priest has not mentioned how much any fees/donation to the church. Can anyone give me a guide on how much I should be budgeting for this and when we will need to pay? 

Thanks in advance x

• Dave.b10Dave.b10 Posts: 4 New bride
    edited 5 July
    I'm not Catholic so I could be wrong but I believe that as marriage is classed  as a 'sacrament' they don't charge a fee but donations to the church (not the priest) is expected).

Catholic priests aren't registrars so you have to pay to give notice to make sure it's legal.

But I'd ask him. I'm sure he's experienced in these matters so will be able to answer easily
  • Samantha265Samantha265 Posts: 403 New bride
    Dave.b10 said:
    I'm not Catholic so I could be wrong but I believe that as marriage is classed  as a 'sacrament' they don't charge a fee but donations to the church are expected.

Catholic priests aren't registrars so you have to pay to give notice to make sure it's legal.

But I'd ask him. I'm sure he's experienced in these matters so will be able to answer easily
    Wow what a helpful reply! Yes she knows a donation is expected, hence the thread? 
    edited 6 July
    Dave.b10 said:
    I'm not Catholic so I could be wrong but I believe that as marriage is classed  as a 'sacrament' they don't charge a fee but donations to the church are expected.

Wow what a helpful reply! Yes she knows a donation is expected, hence the thread? 
    Because 
    1. There isn't a set fee (which clearly the OP wasn't sure about so I clarified that)
    2. It can vary significantly depending on church,priest, his involvement, the location etc.
    3. Registrar costs also can vary significantly depending on location and other factors. I've seen anything from £50-£500 being quoted which unless the OP happens to be a millionaire will probably affect her budget in other areas.

4. The title said to the priest but you don't give the priest money, you make it payable to the Church, so I was also trying to clarify that.

Basically it's not really possible to give an amount which is why I recommended she talk directly to him as he will know the usual costs of that church and area.

So thanks for YOUR very helpful reply! Clearly, making sarcastic comments is a much better use of your time than actually adding any new information to the thread!
    Out of interest, do you have any helpful information? Or are you just here to try and bring down brand new members?

I dont have any actual information to add, hence me not replying. You should try that 
    I dont have any actual information to add, hence me not replying. You should try that 
    The irony of this comment is incredible
  • AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 856 New bride
    I thought Daves comment was very helpful and Samanthas comment unnecessary.

I'm not used to seeing people pulling others down on this forum and I've been here for a year and a half, so don't worry dave it's not the norm.
  • RoseyGoldRoseyGold Posts: 164 New bride
    We're getting married in a catholic church. 
    We are paying for the church because it's not our local church.
    If we used their priest it stated the suggested donation was £100.
    As we're using our local priest we're giving him £150, paying  for his fuel and inviting him to the wedding as well. Catholic priests don't actually get paid so rely on donations like this.

As for the registrar, because it's not the state's church you have to give notice. The the church arrange for a nominated person who will complete the registration on the day of the wedding. We haven't been advised of the fee for this yet.

I hope this helps?
    Oh i was hardly pulling others down, lets all take a deep breath and chill out 
  • PistachioPistachio Posts: 22 New bride
    edited 11 July
    My future sister in law got married at a Catholic church and on the church's website they said a guide for donations was approx. 10% of the overall wedding cost. This was a church in a wealthy part of  London (W1)   (and not sure what type of Catholic church is was ie., Jesuit, Benedictine, Dominicans etc) so not sure if that makes any difference to the request and they did advised it was a suggestion. This was also a fair few years ago so things could have changed. 

Try looking on the website for your Church as they may give that sort of guidance, so at least you have a guide to start with.  You can always ask for guidance from your priest too, he should be able to advise and would probably be expecting the question.

Hope you get it sorted. 
  • RoseyGold said:
    We're getting married in a catholic church. 
    We are paying for the church because it's not our local church.
    If we used their priest it stated the suggested donation was £100.
    As we're using our local priest we're giving him £150, paying  for his fuel and inviting him to the wedding as well. Catholic priests don't actually get paid so rely on donations like this.

As for the registrar, because it's not the state's church you have to give notice. The the church arrange for a nominated person who will complete the registration on the day of the wedding. We haven't been advised of the fee for this yet.

I hope this helps?
    Thank you, this is really helpful :-) Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you. i am meeting the Priest in a couple of weeks, to finalise everything, so hopefully will have the fee agreed then :-)