Buxted Park Wedding - March 2021

Hi everyone :blush:

I’ve been binge-reading planning threads all weekend so thought it was time to start my own!

I’m looking forward to documenting our planning journey here and hopefully talking to some other brides. I’m the first of my friends to get engaged so I don’t have anyone to go to for advice etc haha

Will start a little background below!

A x

• AmyFSToBeAmyFSToBe Posts: 77 New bride

I’m A and my husband to be is J. We met in sixth form, got together a little into Year 13 and the rest is history. We ended up going to the same university in London, and now have been living together for over 4 years.

We got engaged in Sri Lanka on Christmas Day 2018 - it was just the two of us, on Christmas morning and SO unexpected. J had been planning the proposal for at least 8 months and had spent these also putting me off the scent - so I was entirely taken aback!

I’ll post a pic of my ring below - I’m IN LOVE with it. I’m not really into diamonds etc, so it’s a beautiful blue sapphire as the centre stone, with my future initials engraved inside (I already have 2 middle names, and we’re double-barreling our surnames so I’ll have 5 initials haha!)

Ring pics below! Hard to see but I promise the stone is blue haha

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,913 New bride
    Congrats! Lovely ring. I live quite near Buxted Park, gorgeous venue 😀
  • MrsW2020MrsW2020 Posts: 197 New bride
    Love the ring, and the proposal sounds amazing! Look forward to reading more 😊
  • Beautiful ring! I'm looking forward to reading more. 
    Venue Planning

So we knew we were looking to get married either end of 2020 or beginning of 2021 - mainly to not have to stress about saving so much money in a short amount of time!

I started the venue hunt pretty much immediately. We were speaking to Coombe Lodge in Somerset for a long time (my grandma and that side of my family live there so would be a nice fit) and went to visit in spring time. It was BEAUTIFUL. But just didn't feel right to us, also despite being a big stately home, there wasn't a huge amount of usable space inside and the ceremony room would have to be turned around for the breakfast and that stressed me out a bit. We like the idea of having a bit more space and being able to decorate the rooms in advance etc. Also we realised, being London based, it would just be too stressful being that far away.

So we went back to the drawing board and started to look around the home counties.

We then went to see one of the De Vere Venues - the Beaumont Estate. This is actually 5 minutes away from my mum's house so felt kind of meant to be! As we drove up we kind of knew immediately this was not the one. The venue also acts as a conference venue, and as a corporate event planner, it reminded me too much of work!  :s not the one. We did still go in and see it, and the chapel is stunning and such a fab location for the breakfast/dancing. The ceremony rooms were nothing special so we went off that one.

We hit a bit of a block at this point. I was searching for venues pretty much daily and nothing looked like a good fit. But finally, I came across Buxted Park Hotel.

It seemed to tick all our boxes! It's an hour on the train from London Bridge, they had an exclusive use option (which includes all 44 bedrooms and 7 suites for the night of the wedding!!!!), beautiful grounds, an orangery for the ceremony, etc etc. And thankfully when we went to visit, it stood up to all our expectations! We just knew when we walked in this was the one. It felt really homely, and we could imagine our family and friends here. We also get a private breakfast with all our guests who stay the next morning which was a plus, as it helped drag out the celebrations as long as possible.

So we have that all booked for a Friday in March 2021 - extremely excited! We went to visit it last weekend as they had a Wedding Fayre and thankfully loved it just as much as the first time (if not more)

Venue Planning

So we knew we were looking to get married either end of 2020 or beginning of 2021 - mainly to not have to stress about saving so much money in a short amount of time!

I started the venue hunt pretty much immediately. We were speaking to Coombe Lodge in Somerset for a long time (my grandma and that side of my family live there so would be a nice fit) and went to visit in spring time. It was BEAUTIFUL. But just didn't feel right to us, also despite being a big stately home, there wasn't a huge amount of usable space inside and the ceremony room would have to be turned around for the breakfast and that stressed me out a bit. We like the idea of having a bit more space and being able to decorate the rooms in advance etc. Also we realised, being London based, it would just be too stressful being that far away.

So we went back to the drawing board and started to look around the home counties.

We then went to see one of the De Vere Venues - the Beaumont Estate. This is actually 5 minutes away from my mum's house so felt kind of meant to be! As we drove up we kind of knew immediately this was not the one. The venue also acts as a conference venue, and as a corporate event planner, it reminded me too much of work!  :s not the one. We did still go in and see it, and the chapel is stunning and such a fab location for the breakfast/dancing. The ceremony rooms were nothing special so we went off that one.

We hit a bit of a block at this point. I was searching for venues pretty much daily and nothing looked like a good fit. But finally, I came across Buxted Park Hotel.

It seemed to tick all our boxes! It's an hour on the train from London Bridge, they had an exclusive use option (which includes all 44 bedrooms and 7 suites for the night of the wedding!!!!), beautiful grounds, an orangery for the ceremony, etc etc. And thankfully when we went to visit, it stood up to all our expectations! We just knew when we walked in this was the one. It felt really homely, and we could imagine our family and friends here. We also get a private breakfast with all our guests who stay the next morning which was a plus, as it helped drag out the celebrations as long as possible.

So we have that all booked for a Friday in March 2021 - extremely excited! We went to visit it last weekend as they had a Wedding Fayre and thankfully loved it just as much as the first time (if not more)

• annipooannipoo Posts: 133 New bride
    Your ring is beautiful. It's such an unusual shape. 
    @MrsCToBee thank you! Oh how lovely, the countryside around there is beautiful - such a nice place to live! Have you ever been to a wedding there?

@MrsW2020 thank you ☺️ He did it perfectly!

@Northern_bride thank you so much! Looking forward to chatting to everyone more about all the planning :smiley:

@annipoo thank you! Boy did good haha. It’s unlike anything I’d ever mentioned to him before that I like, so I think he was ridiculously nervous in case I didn’t like it but for no reason! 
  • jjward2019jjward2019 Posts: 128 New bride
    Lovely venue, this was my favourite! My friend got married there last year and it was lovely :)
    @jjward2019 oh that’s so good to hear! We love it so much but it’s always nice to hear from people that have actually experienced a wedding there that they enjoyed it!

Where did you end up booking as a venue? I saw you were considering Buxted!
    I haven't been there but it is a nice part of the world, I have family in Uckfield.
    @MrsCToBee that’s nice! Also congratulations on your wedding week - been following on your thread. How exciting!
    @jjward2019 oh that’s so good to hear! We love it so much but it’s always nice to hear from people that have actually experienced a wedding there that they enjoyed it!

Where did you end up booking as a venue? I saw you were considering Buxted!
    Yes it was lovely! Weather was great so they actually got married outside too. We stayed the night and enjoyed the breakfast with everyone the next day as well. 

We've ended up with a marquee reception at the cricket club we met at 10 years ago. Buxted was just a bit too long a drive for a reception venue as we are getting married in our local church so wanted something a bit closer x
    @jjward2019 Outside must have been lovely! We're getting married in March so for sure will be inside but fingers crossed the weather holds out so we can get some pictures etc outside... Yes the breakfast was one of the things that drew us in - love the idea of being able to see everyone the next morning!

Oh that's so nice to have such a personal venue to you both. Yes definitely, planning a wedding is complicated enough without relying on all your guests to make a bit of a journey and staying on schedule haha 
    @AmyFS.To.Be fingers crossed for you, that was one of the things I loved most so many beautiful spots for photos. 
    Yes it’s quite nice that it means something to us and it means we got a bit more freedom over food and drinks etc but definitely not an easy way to do it I have to say 😂
    @jjward2019 Thank you! 

Oh yes I can imagine! When we were venue hunting we did look at some more dry hire places, where we could bring our own caterers etc (I'm half Sri Lankan so was set on having a Sri Lankan buffet for the breakfast!!) but realised it is sooo much more work than having a venue do it all for you - but will be lovely to have it personalised to you!
    Just thought I'd make a list of everything we've got sorted/planned so far!

Venue - obviously!
    Booked the registrar (£603 :'( - who knew they cost so much!! ) 
    Photographer and Videographer - this was so hard to find! Again, I knew they cost a lot but didn't realise quite how much until we properly got searching. After months of searching we finally found Filmmakers of London who we really liked - like their style for both the photos and video, and they had some really good packages! Managed to get 10 hours coverage, for both photographer and videographer, for £1895 total! Really excited about that. We also get a highlights film, as well as a feature film which I really wanted - nice to have the variety haha
    Thank you cards - so I may have gone a little into over planning mode - and have already bought our thank you cards haha. I just saw them on Amazon and loved them, and it was £15 for 50 cards + Envelopes + stickers to close the envelopes so couldn't resist! Pic below. Think we'll also get a little polaroid style print of one of our wedding photos and slip one in each card too!
    Insurance - got this done immediately after booking the venue. And our venue has a wedding offer where they take off the cost of your insurance (up to £75) off your wedding bill - so will only end up paying £5 for insurance!
    Placecards - obviously not bought these yet, but we're going to go with these little wooden ones. We're thinking of signing our names and putting our wedding date on the back of each one and then they can double up as favours!

• I bought little wooden placenames from VMBespoke and I can’t recommend them enough! I need to add an extra name last minute and they didn’t charge me, and when I needed another they sent it immediately for me as time is running out.  Great quality too!
    @BlondieBride2019 Ooh thank you! Will definitely check them out.
    So I've had a bit of a planning day today - we went and sat in Caffe Nero today and J wrote up a report for his PhD and I went into crazy wedding mode!

So we're over 18 months away, and I've made a photography schedule  :D Bit early but nice to see the day planned out and start thinking about the key photos we want, and when in the day is best to take them to get the most of the day! If any of you have any suggestions, or key photos you didn't think you would want, please do let me know!!

I've also just slapped together a bit of a wedding hairstyles whilst watching TV this evening. Inspired by this Pinterest pic, and surprisingly gone very well!! So I've definitely decided to do my own hair on the day (helped by my bridesmaids of course)
    Hair Inspiration!

• Favour update and dress drama
    As mentioned above - we're going to do laser cut wooden place names which will double up as favours. However for all the guests staying the night at the venue, I wanted to do something extra. At first I was thinking of asking the venue to put a little note and some chocolate truffles in each room, but then feel like they may be missed go to waste!

So now I've decided to do a mini gift bag/box for each guest that's staying over. We have a private breakfast with all the guests the next morning so we will put one at each place setting for them to go down to. At the moment, they will include a mini candle (handmade by me!) and 2 Monty Bojangles truffles (has anyone else had these? They are divine!!!)

I've now bought 80 mini jars from Wilko, for £12 - such a bargain! They're a bit like the picture below, super mini

Now to the dress drama. I fell in love with a dress by Ingrida Bridal, and felt that with some alterations (e.g. changing the neckline) it would be my perfect dress! I'm on a bit of a weight loss kick at the moment so didn't want to go in and try it on until like March 2020 after losing said weight!

I popped them an email with some questions, never heard back, so last night sent them a FB message. Next thing you know, the lady is telling me that they've closed the London boutique!! I asked if there was anywhere I could try it on, and lo and behold, I can try it on in.......Riga. Latvia.

So now the only two dresses that I have every loved are as follows:
    A Berta dress, which is £10,000 and a Ingrida dress, which is in Latvia. :#

Berta Dress

Ingrida Dress:

• If any of you brides have seen any similar dresses please do send them my way!! I may be off to Riga for a weekend trip come the New Year, who knows!!

In other more personal news, I was promoted today! I didn't expect it at all so a nice surprise and nice to have a little more money to go towards the wedding fund :)
    Monty Bojangles truffles are to die for!

Those dresses are beautiful....I'm sure Watters have some similar dresses to those. Also, unless you are 6ft and size 6 dresses look so much different on the average person than they do on the models.

Congrats & well done on the promotion 💐
  • @MrsCToBee Aren't they?! 
    Oh thank you I'll have a look! Yes definitely, that's very true. I'm leaning towards looking into buying a skirt (tulle style) and then get a custom made bodysuit to wear.. Feel like this may be best of both worlds and also sounds very comfortable?! 
    Thank you! x
  • So my mum came up to London to spend the day together and we had a little wedding brainstorming session. I showed her the Ingrida dress and she LOVED it - and has now convinced me we must go to Latvia. So looks like I'll be planning a trip there soon! Also - it's been reduced to £690 which is such a bargain!! I'm like 90% sure this is my dress so will have to suck it up and get on a plane to try it!
  • annipooannipoo Posts: 133 New bride
    Haha, I love that you're going to Latvia to find your dream dress!  :)
  • It’s a little bit ridiculous (their London shop, before it closed, was literally 5 mins from my flat!!) but I just haven’t seen anything that I like even remotely compared to this dress so feel like I’ll never be 100% sure until I see it!