Forum home Planning

Invitations - do they need to match your colour scheme?

Just looking for some opinions on invitations.

I always had it in my head that the invitations should match your colour scheme, my other half asked me why and i had to think about it and came up with 'it lets people know the colour scheme so that they dont wear that colour and look like the bridal party/bridemaid'

Is this just me?

hes just found some lovely invitations but they are very plain, just black and white but i love the simplicity of them.

• MrsPope2018MrsPope2018 Posts: 1,383 New bride
    We knew we were having a rustic style to our wedding so we chose invitations that fit in with this, but didnt go with a particular colour or anything as we were still unsure of what our colour scheme was actually going to be 😂

I dont think it necessarily matters though, I honestly cant remember from all the weddings I've been invited to if the invitation matched the colour scheme so I don't think people would particularly notice if it didnt. 
  • k.pedrickk.pedrick Posts: 17 New bride
    edited 6 January
    thank you!
    i dont think ive ever paid attention to invites myself either! but once planning my own ive been overthinking it! lol

to be honest, ive been struggling to find a lilac dress for my bridesmaid so the chance of someone turning up in our colours are small and i dont think id care on the day anyway! 
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 947 New bride
    I always say try not to be hemmed in by a theme or colour scheme. The best theme is the one where you pick everything based on what you like most.
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 88 New bride
    I've never thought of it as a way to tell guests what the bridesmaids were wearing! I think it depends if you will have other stationery on the day (orders of service, table plans, etc.) that you want to match the invites but even then, it doesn't have to have your theme / colours on it. In some ways simple monochrome is great, it will go with every other colour you might pick and you can add splashes of colour later on if you like to tie things together. 
  • RosiePRosieP Posts: 6 New bride
    Our invitations are in lilac, the color theme is red. But the invitations just caught our attention, we love them and we didn't even look for others. I don't think they necessary to match.
  • MrsMidtobeMrsMidtobe Posts: 172 New bride
    Ours didn’t match we just liked them!

I have to admit I haven’t ever looked at an invite and thought ‘oh it’s blue il avoid that colour’ etc so I wouldn’t take it as a guarantee that if you chose a specific colour people won’t wear it
    thanks guys, this really helps to open my options up! just out of interest @RosieP do you mind sharing the link to your lilac invites or where you got them from?
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride
    They don't need to match! Our Save the Dates didn't match our invites, and the invites didn't match the thank you cards. The world is still spinning on it's axis ;)
    my use of the word 'need' may have been overkill lol i know they dont HAVE to was just looking to see if others had this rationale or if i was having a moment! defs a moment lol
  • annipooannipoo Posts: 310 New bride
    edited 7 January
    If it makes you feel any better @k.pedrick I've always had the same view as you, that any colour on the invite is the colour of the bridesmaid dresses. 
  • RosiePRosieP Posts: 6 New bride
    @k.pedrick we ordered them from Vista print 
    I tried to find the design and to put link here but unfortunately I can't..
    But you can go to their website and to have a look. 
    Thank you I'll take a look there :)
    Thanks @annipoo thought I had made it up! 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • hello169hello169 Posts: 6 New bride
    Invitations do not need to match your color scheme, but I would suggest that they should match the type of event you're having. If you're having a boho-chic wedding and have extremely formal font, foil invitations, it might give your guests the wrong idea. Invitations and the wording on them actually do send your guests subtle messages.
    For example, the wording is important. If you write "Requests the pleasure of your company" vs "Requests the honor of your presence" you are telling your guests you are having a civil ceremony vs. a relgious ceremony.  Also, typically letter-pressed invitations represent a very formal event requiring a morning suit/tuxedo. Overwhelming... I know!
    That said - it's you're day! If you're absolutely in love with a invitation suite that may not exactly match your color scheme perfectly.... I say go for it! Your wedding should be a representation of who you are as couple. You should be having fun every step of the way. Just try your best to ensure it goes with the vibe of your event, so your guests are not confused as to what to wear and expect. 

xx Christina
    [[ChristinaLegerEvents.com]]
  • Hello dear, if you want some customized wedding invitation, then take the help of VideoGiri. It is an awesome company which makes affordable digital wedding and engagement invitation fro Whatsapp too.
  • Hi, 

I don't think they need to be matching to your wedding scheme colour. We got ours from http://poppyandthistle.co.uk/ because we loved their eco vibe and they aren't the same colour as our wedding colour scheme. We got quite a plain design :)